A man suffered a severe leg injury Sunday after he was hit by an explosion in New York’s Central Park while climbing a rock.

Fire officials said Connor Golden, 18, may require a “possible amputation,” multiple outlets reported. Police and the bomb squad were on the scene.

Golden was climbing a large, sloping rock when he stepped on something that “exploded,” a witness told CBS2.

The incident, near Fifth Avenue and 68th Street, happened just a few blocks from where a funeral was being held for Pulitzer Prize-winning author Elie Wiesel and was also near the Central Park Zoo, police said.

Officials had scheduled a news conference for later Sunday afternoon.

Full Story

CBS News

New York Post

38 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

Homemade fireworks

That's what i'm putting my money on. I reckon the kid was carrying home made fireworks in his pocket or satchel with the intent of launching them off the rock.

3 hours ago, troysavary said:

Homemade fireworks don't leave a crater in the ground.

If it's powerful enough it can. 

I get the feeling someone else tried to light something, it didn't go off, and they just left it there.

• Like 2

An abandoned mini pipe bomb-style firework sounds the most likely. 3-4 ounces of smokeless powder, black powder or Pyrodex can make a helluva boom.

16 hours ago, Dot Matrix said:

I get the feeling someone else tried to light something, it didn't go off, and they just left it there.

I think I read that is what happened 

19 hours ago, troysavary said:

Homemade fireworks don't leave a crater in the ground.

:|

Really ?

Where to start

Do you think that because subconsciously you want it to be something menacing, something deliberate, something malicious ?

Or is it because in your little mind you have nice cute preordained picture of what constitutes "homemade fireworks" and this description didnt fit in your little picture ?

Or is it simply because you have nothing to comment about, so you tripped over this thread like a...... a.....  oh I dont know - a homemade explosive left from somebody else?  
See what I did there ?

Read some of the comments on the Fox link in the OP - :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Since this appears to have been in a bag and very shock-sensitive my bet is on nitrogen triiodide. The formulation is well known, it's shock sensitive, and even a small amount makes a helluva bang even without confinement.