Doom - FUN but random issues

Finally got Doom for my PC this weekend and I haven't had that much fun since Doom 2 perhaps.

Couple random things...

I know my PC is starting to show it's age but still, having an i7 extreme with 24GB and 670 SLI hasn't been a slouch yet. So, I put the game in ultra mode to see how it would run. Well, the opening scene where I am on the table looking at my hands was like a slideshow, maybe 1 fps if that. Should it really be that bad? I had to force quit the game and changed it from ultra to high and it was normal and I was able to play. After about an hour of playing, it loaded the next section and I was back to a slideshow again. I had to force quit yet again and upon reloading I was able to continue playing. Does the game have some bug/memory leak? Should my PC be able to handle ultra, at l east better than the 1 fps I was getting?

Secondly, difficulty. My age must be showing. I was pretty much unable to play the game at the default "hurt me plenty" difficulty. I had to put it on the lowest setting and even that is still a good challenge. I think I am possibly at the first boss fight, not sure. I'm in a turbine room or something and I have to fend off monsters coming in everywhere. Eventually, a couple of meaner tougher ones show up that take shot after shot and won't die. I keep running out of ammo and can only shoot them with my blaster which does nothing and they eventually corner me and pummel me. Anyone else find even the lowest difficulty challenging or is it my 40-something age showing? ;-)

35 minutes ago, patseguin said:

Finally got Doom for my PC this weekend and I haven't had that much fun since Doom 2 perhaps.

Couple random things...

I know my PC is starting to show it's age but still, having an i7 extreme with 24GB and 670 SLI hasn't been a slouch yet. So, I put the game in ultra mode to see how it would run. Well, the opening scene where I am on the table looking at my hands was like a slideshow, maybe 1 fps if that. Should it really be that bad? I had to force quit the game and changed it from ultra to high and it was normal and I was able to play. After about an hour of playing, it loaded the next section and I was back to a slideshow again. I had to force quit yet again and upon reloading I was able to continue playing. Does the game have some bug/memory leak? Should my PC be able to handle ultra, at l east better than the 1 fps I was getting?

Secondly, difficulty. My age must be showing. I was pretty much unable to play the game at the default "hurt me plenty" difficulty. I had to put it on the lowest setting and even that is still a good challenge. I think I am possibly at the first boss fight, not sure. I'm in a turbine room or something and I have to fend off monsters coming in everywhere. Eventually, a couple of meaner tougher ones show up that take shot after shot and won't die. I keep running out of ammo and can only shoot them with my blaster which does nothing and they eventually corner me and pummel me. Anyone else find even the lowest difficulty challenging or is it my 40-something age showing? ;-)

Should be fine but not on Ultra. 

Minimum Doom system requirements:

64-bit Windows 7/Windows 8.1.

Intel Core i5 @ 3.3 GHz or better / AMD FX-8320.

8 GB RAM.

Nvidia GTX 670 2GB/ AMD Radeon HD 7870 (2GB VRAM)

6GB HDD space.

Steam account.

High speed internet connection.

I am 44 soon to be 45 and my online gameplay has suffered these last few years. One of the things that has changed is the ability to game till 5-6 Am and work and Family, ect. Thanks for the review man! I can't wait to try it out. 

Try this and see what it says: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

Oh yeah, does it have the IDKFA? ;) :shiftyninja:

Thanks, although not really a review. ;-) I am finding it incredibly fun though. I remember the last time I had as much fun with an fps and I think Doom 2 might have been it. On the high setting my SLI setup seems to handle the game fine. I don't run meters so I don't know what fps I get but it is definitely playable. I was playing it with my new gskill gaming headset and it was so immersive that I was actually getting anxious hearing the monster groans and looking around for them.

Going to be 48 next month and feeling it, haha. I tried some deathmatch and it wasn't pretty.

I think the VRam (GFX Card memory) is most likely your issue since your graphics card is older (mine isn't that much newer than yours). As far as I can tell the game is pretty much designed for the latest cards with 6GB memory and over.

41 here and I actually felt like the game was a tad too easy on Hurt Me Plenty, especially when you start getting the better weapons.

So I think you just need to get the rust off. Also where it is a much different game that most shooters is constant movement is everything. If you stay in one place for even a few seconds you will die.

It is probably my GOTY so far. I beat it in less than a week, which for myself is a damn miracle due to the limited time I have to play games these days.

With that said, I am also pretty awful at the MP. LOL I did have one match I got second place, but that was earlier on within the first week of it being released. Now the people playing it are all serious players of the MP, so it is damn hard to play with them as it appears it is all they have been playing.

7 minutes ago, DirtyLarry said:

41 here and I actually felt like the game was a tad too easy on Hurt Me Plenty, especially when you start getting the better weapons.

So I think you just need to get the rust off. Also where it is a much different game that most shooters is constant movement is everything. If you stay in one place for even a few seconds you will die.

It is probably my GOTY so far. I beat it in less than a week, which for myself is a damn miracle due to the limited time I have to play games these days.

With that said, I am also pretty awful at the MP. LOL I did have one match I got second place, but that was earlier on within the first week of it being released. Now the people playing it are all serious players of the MP, so it is damn hard to play with them as it appears it is all they have been playing.

Yeah, you're probably right about getting the rust off. I got into that first outdoor area in the beginning of the game and died a few times because it seemed so overwhelming. After bumping down the difficulty, I still found it hard and took a beating but still got through. Now that I am in that turbine room with the tough 2 monsters chasing me with no ammo, I am finding it very hard.

As for MP, yeah I think they are mostly kids who do nothing but play online. I just ran around like a chicken with my head cut off and soon as I even saw someone I was dead before I could aim let alone get a shot off.

As for gfx, it seems OK on my 670 SLI on high quality at 2560 1440. I'm still wondering if the 1070 or 1080 will actually be a huge improvement or just a minor improvement. I thought I read that even the 1080 had issues running at ultra on 2560.

12 minutes ago, patseguin said:

I'm still wondering if the 1070 or 1080 will actually be a huge improvement or just a minor improvement. I thought I read that even the 1080 had issues running at ultra on 2560.

A 1070 would slaughter two 670s in SLI.  A 1080 would slaughter and then eat the two 670s in SLI.

27 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

A 1070 would slaughter two 670s in SLI.  A 1080 would slaughter and then eat the two 670s in SLI.

Hmm, maybe I should think about upgrading finally. Can my system handle a modern day card like the 1070 alright? It's an Asus Rampage III Black Edition I bought for my Gultown i7 years ago.

my 970 manages it on high/very high @1080p 60fps on the PC in my sig, my mates 780 and i5 struggles above medium at 1080p

im 44.5 and tbh im finding my FPS sharpness is degrading lol still loving it though.

run the Benchmark tool built in and check the CPU usage and GPU usage, it will indicate what is your bottleneck in % utilisation. I suspect its your 670s

You'll be fine with your older CPU.  Newer ones will give you a slight increase in performance, but honestly not worth the money unless you want to upgrade your storage to M.2 SSDs or something to minimize wiring.

i7-980x w/ GTX 1070: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9100002

i7-5930k w/ GTX 1070: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9012668

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, patseguin said:

Hmm, maybe I should think about upgrading finally. Can my system handle a modern day card like the 1070 alright? It's an Asus Rampage III Black Edition I bought for my Gultown i7 years ago.

I think you'd be fine.  You'll have some bottleneck with the CPU ... but shouldn't crop up until you're playing CPU intensive games (I guess MMO games?).  Your mobo also has PCIe 2.0 (iirc) ... so you might have a slight 1-3% penalty there...once again...nothing to worry about.

I'd say do it!

1 hour ago, jjkusaf said:

I think you'd be fine.  You'll have some bottleneck with the CPU ... but shouldn't crop up until you're playing CPU intensive games (I guess MMO games?).  Your mobo also has PCIe 2.0 (iirc) ... so you might have a slight 1-3% penalty there...once again...nothing to worry about.

I'd say do it!

Looking on Amazon right now and they seem to be in the $550 range. I thought the 1080 was going to be that price and maybe $350 for the 1070....

EDIT: Damn you for planting the seed in my head. Just ordered a PNY 1070 FE from Amazon, coming tomorrow... ;-)

52 minutes ago, patseguin said:

Looking on Amazon right now and they seem to be in the $550 range. I thought the 1080 was going to be that price and maybe $350 for the 1070....

EDIT: Damn you for planting the seed in my head. Just ordered a PNY 1070 FE from Amazon, coming tomorrow... ;-)

Probably ordered it too soon.  Right now the prices seem a bit higher (early adopter + limited supply tax). :( 

....but you'll get a lot better gaming! 

Yeah just an FYI, my resolution is also 2560 x 1440 on a G-Sync monitor, I have a 980 Ti and pretty much everything on Ultra and I get a very smooth constant 75 FPS. Never really dips, and it does go as high as 90-95 depending on the scene. So I cannot imagine a 1080 would even break a sweat. You should be able to do Ultra everything and possibly even mess around with downsampling as DOOM does have a graphics scaling option and easily get at least 60 FPS.

I will say, in a game like DOOM, it does make all the difference, especially in MP. Even though I said I was awful, it is not get last place everytime awful, and as I said there were a few matches early on I did good actually. If I had time to learn the maps like the kids who play it all day, I think I would be pretty good at it, and I no doubt do believe having a good rig helps with that all. Or at the very least it is not an excuse.

TBH I am considering a 1080 since I recently acquired Oculus but what I am holding out for is how Battlefield 1 performs at native resolution with the settings on at least high. If I can get a solid 60 FPS I will probably sit tight with my 980 Ti. If I cannot, I will probably get a 1080 for X-Mas and also have the added bonus of knowing games on Oculus are running damn near as good as they can be.

It just takes some time to get back into the swing of things, But seriously constant movement is mandatory for DOOM in order to succeed. Staying put will definitely equal death. You will get in the flow, and especially once you get better weapons, it all just clicks. And that is what I meant by I almost felt it was too easy. Once I had all the weapons and I upgraded a few specific traits, jn particular the one where if you have full health than 80% health once you upgrade it you get Infinite Ammo for all weapons, it was pretty much Game OVer and I felt like a true wrecking machine.

I am not kidding when I say it is a GOTY contender for myself, and it is easily my favorite FPS in many years that I have played.

it's not about whos got the fastest setup, Doom got released with many knee dropping bugs. One of the major bugs was Doom would instantly freeze with no escape via keyboard commands and you would need to restart your PC. The bug affects both AMD and Nvidia users. Either it freeze or crash while loading MP maps or it would freeze or crash during gameplay. Major killer bug. But overall the MP gameplay is very good and fast paced and it's a top FPS game for myself when the game wants to play nice.

6 minutes ago, atleeit said:

it's not about whos got the fastest setup, Doom got released with many knee dropping bugs. One of the major bugs was Doom would instantly freeze with no escape via keyboard commands and you would need to restart your PC. The bug affects both AMD and Nvidia users. Either it freeze or crash while loading MP maps or it would freeze or crash during gameplay. Major killer bug. But overall the MP gameplay is very good and fast paced and it's a top FPS game for myself when the game wants to play nice.

I read about this bug as well. Fortunately I never experienced it once myself. I had exactly 2 CTD's and my computer was completely responsive and I just had to fire the game back up. So while it sucks you did experience this bug, just because you did that does not mean it is the same experience for everyone out there.

And perhaps if you took the time to read what the latest discussion was you would have seen that the discussion is frame rate and resolution, both of which are very much dependent on the components one has and uses, so they are actually about a "fast setup" as you put it.

15 minutes ago, DirtyLarry said:

I read about this bug as well. Fortunately I never experienced it once myself. I had exactly 2 CTD's and my computer was completely responsive and I just had to fire the game back up. So while it sucks you did experience this bug, just because you did that does not mean it is the same experience for everyone out there.

And perhaps if you took the time to read what the latest discussion was you would have seen that the discussion is frame rate and resolution, both of which are very much dependent on the components one has and uses, so they are actually about a "fast setup" as you put it.

Yep...I've had two CTD's as well...and when I mean CTD .... I mean straight to the desktop.  Blowing away Imps one second and the next I'm looking at my desktop and Doom's little crash dialog box.  Computer never became unresponsive ... closed the dialog box ... fired back up Doom and continued on at my last checkpoint.  Finished the game ... now just going back to find stuff I've missed and complete a couple of the challenges.  Went on MP once ... ooof ... need some practice or I'm just getting old. :(  

11 hours ago, patseguin said:

Please - I have far less computer than you (Intel G3258 and 8 GB of DDR3-1333 on an MSI H81-E33 with a Corsair CX-600M PSU), and where I would have issue is the cost - not anything else.

Definitely GOTY for me. Really game of the last 5 years probably for me. I haven't had as much fun or even gotten into a fps this much in years. Those challenge things are a neat feature to the game. I'm having trouble with the one where you have to kill the dudes with the exploding barrels. Already failed the one where you have to kill like 30 of them with shotgun because it took me longer to run to new mobs than time I had.Oh well, still super super fun.

Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread, but my 1070 card is coming today. It's been years since I upgraded my video card, so I forget. Since I already have nVidia cards installed will I need to reinstall the drivers when I change the cards?

2 minutes ago, patseguin said:

Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread, but my 1070 card is coming today. It's been years since I upgraded my video card, so I forget. Since I already have nVidia cards installed will I need to reinstall the drivers when I change the cards?

Probably not ... but wouldn't hurt.  I would just download the latest driver and select "clean installation".

26 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

Probably not ... but wouldn't hurt.  I would just download the latest driver and select "clean installation".

Sounds like a plan.

55 minutes ago, patseguin said:

Download Display Driver Uninstaller and have it run to clean out all nvidia drivers, then install fresh. That is always my course of action and has worked well over the years.

it was running at 2fps at the beginning for me too, even after restarting the game and PC. I didn't get very far before I would force quit the game. a driver update fixed the problem.

mini review for SP. length is pretty good but finished it in 2 days. its one of the coolest looking games but I find it quite repetitive. the story was kind of bland. 7/10.