MVC Website, CSS/JS not loading with Windows Authentication

Question

Firstly, I'm fairly new to web development so please bear with me!

I've started working on an intranet project which requires Windows Authentication, and I've come across a really really irritating snag.

When I create a vanilla MVC project in VS2015 with NO authentication, the CSS and JS loads just fine in IE and Chrome.  However, when I create one with Windows Authentication, no CSS or JS or anything image links etc, will load. The status code I get is the ever to useful:  500 Internal Server Error, when this resolves out to ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED.

My site properties are:  Anonymous Authentication: Disabled.  Windows Authentication: Enabled, SSL Enabled: True.

If I turn Anon Auth back on, the CSS/JS etc will load again, but I then don't get authenticated.  I've searched and searched online, and found 100's of pages with essentially the same problem, but none of the offered solutions actually work for me.  Hell, this is just a vanilla MVC site created by the VS2015 new project, with absolutely NOTHING added to it, so I'd expect it to bloody well work!

Clearly, it's something to do with how Chrome is handling the permissions because IE works just fine, but I need this site to work in Chrome as well so... Can anyone offer any insight as to what's going on?  I've been a desktop app developer for nearly 30 years and all this new fangled webby stuff is irritating as all hell! :p

• Like 1

2 answers to this question

I'm not 100% positive here but I thought Chrome (and Firefox) needed configuration settings in the browser in order to utilize windows authentication.  Take a look at this article and scroll down to 'What Worked'.