Favorite sport from different Country

Rugby, i'm proud to say, is a British invention.. it was invented in a town called Rugby (funnily enough) about 20 miles from where I live :)

Not sure if I follow enough sport to be interested in other ones from around the world though.. only really watch football (soccer) here.

Hmm the only sports that arent big here is the americans sports... Rugby isnt that popular here so I will go with rugby aswell..

and to, mparnelly so tru :)... bonobozoot is the a regular american.. thinks all american sports are the biggest :rolleyes:

i guess it would have to be baseball. i really don't understand what the big deal is with soccer though. to me it's as boring to watch as golf, though i admit it is fun to play. :kick, kick, kick... out of bounds. kick, interception: how the hell can u be entertained by watching that hours on end? NOTHING HAPPENS!!

i really don't understand what the big deal is with soccer though. to me it's as boring to watch as golf, though i admit it is fun to play. :kick, kick, kick... out of bounds. kick, interception: how the hell can u be entertained by watching that hours on end? NOTHING HAPPENS!!

i agree.. people say similar things about hockey, but if you actually go to a hockey game, you cant ever think the same way again. ive been to a couple of soccer games and they are still terribly boring

you cant ever think the same way again. ive been to a couple of soccer games and they are still terribly boring

And NFL isn't? The sport was bad enough to begin with - but it's been completely ruined by television now.

-20-30 seconds for a play.

-20-30 seconds watching the guys mill about.

-Hey! Let's take a 5 minute commercial break! And of course - the network has literal control over the game now - so the game stops for people watching it live, too.

-Pop back. Show 3 or 4 seconds of footage of teams milling about on the side of the field.

-Go back to commercials for another minute or so.

-Show 15 seconds of replays of the last play - people are forgetting what's happened, after all.

-Repeat from step 1.

Yeah. *yawn* Fun.

I remember when we went to the Pro Bowl back in the 80's. My god, it was the most boring, complete was of time I'd ever experienced. 3/4 of the 'game' was spent with the people who spent the money to watch it /live/ just sitting there doing nothing, because the players weren't even on the field, thanks to the networks constantly calling for commercial breaks.

EDIT: To fix my horrid typing - though now I'm wondering what a 'footable' is. O.o

And NFL isn't? The sport was bad enough to begin with - but it's been completely ruined by television now.

The NFL is more exciting than it's counterparts, yes. Baseball, Basketball and hockey. Combined.

Although it takes time between plays in the NFL, at least something is happening. The teams score. Progress is being made on the field. Interceptions actually mean something. then there are hits. tackling people is awesome. you dont get penalized or "carded (wtf?)" if you hit someone. Also, in soccer, how do you know when the games gonna end? the clock counts up, but it doesnt stop at 90, its like they just stop it whenever they feel like it. Oh and the Pro Bowl doesnt count. The players dont care and nobody watches it.

Ji@nBing and CatnipOligarthy how can you find football (soccer as you call it) boring!? Ohh well you are american...

edit: you have a fourth referee in football that counts the injury time in a match and at 90 minutes he shows a board saying how many added minutes. Then the first referee blows the whisle after 90 + added time when there is no scoring opertunaty.. If there is two added minutes and a player is free against the goal keeper and the clock hits 92 he wont blow the whistle until the chance is over.

Ji@nBing and CatnipOligarthy how can you find football (soccer as you call it) boring!? Ohh well you are american...

i'm not american, i'm canadian. don't ever call me american again!!!!! lol

and i explained how it is boring. NOTHING HAPPENS!!!

same **** different name ;)

You have hardly seen a good game then.. If canada where good at football you would like it, if you supported a team or a country and watch them struggle in a cup you would like it...

edit: sorry wrote usa again :p

edit: you have a fourth referee in football that counts the injury time in a match and at 90 minutes he shows a board saying how many added minutes. Then the first referee blows the whisle after 90 + added time when there is no scoring opertunaty.. If there is two added minutes and a player is free against the goal keeper and the clock hits 92 he wont blow the whistle until the chance is over.

so um, why not just stop the clock when someone is injured?

Why complicate it? 10 seconds extra or 10 seconds to little, doesnt really matter. it is hard to stop the time for the referee in the game, the stadium time and the networks time. Easier for the referre to blow the whistle and then just play than to stop it every 5th minute.

edit: typo

its not complicated at all. every other sport with a clock does it. the referees signal to the scorekeepers to stop the clock and then when play resumes the clock is restarted. the tv networks have no problem at all keeping up with it. a clock counting up just doesnt make sense.

hehe I cant belive we are arguing over such a small thing :p It really doesnt make a difference because they would still play the same amount. What would happen when the clock reaches 0 then? They cant stop playing if there is a scoring chance... They would still need overtime..

Why complicate it? 10 seconds extra or 10 seconds to little, doesnt really matter. it is hard to stop the time for the referee in the game, the stadium time and the networks time. Easier for the referre to blow the whistle and then just play than to stop it every 5th minute.

edit: typo

Every single other sport does. Why not soccer?

hehe I cant belive we are arguing over such a small thing :p It really doesnt make a difference because they would still play the same amount. What would happen when the clock reaches 0 then? They cant stop playing if there is a scoring chance... They would still need overtime..

its not a small thing. the clock is what runs the game. its a major factor. and when the clock his 0, the game is over. youve had 90 minutes to score, tough sh1t. if its tied, then yes, overtime is needed, otherwise, end of game.

Not all sports have it, thouht sports that have a timelimit will usually do that, its like in formular 1 in the qualifier and there is a minume time they dont count down from it, the count up to it...

Is a part of football and thats the way we want it.. The day that the usa or canada wins the world cup you can have a word in it.. Until then we (the countrys that play the sports) deside how we want it... You would have to look a long time to find a football fan that wants to change this...

i dont really want to have a word in it. its one of the many reasons i dont like the game. if the usa won the world cup, i wouldnt care a bit, but i would find it kinda funny that we took the title from one of many countries whose fans actually follow the sport. you can have your soccer the way it is, im not gonna watch whether the clock changes or not, its just not my kind of game. and F1? come on, racing doesnt count. its a sport, but thats totally different

i dont really want to have a word in it. its one of the many reasons i dont like the game. if the usa won the world cup, i wouldnt care a bit, but i would find it kinda funny that we took the title from one of many countries whose fans actually follow the sport. you can have your soccer the way it is, im not gonna watch whether the clock changes or not, its just not my kind of game. and F1? come on, racing doesnt count. its a sport, but thats totally different

Don't lie CatNip. You'd be like every other American. Similar to the world juniors, you wouldn't follow it but once you heard they'd won you'd throw a party and get drunk with all your buds right? :p I got you Yanks figured out.