BBC to deploy detection vans to snoop on internet users

The BBC is to spy on internet users in their homes by deploying a new generation of Wi-Fi detection vans to identify those illicitly watching its programmes online.

The Telegraph can disclose that from next month, the BBC vans will fan out across the country capturing information from private Wi-Fi networks in homes to “sniff out” those who have not paid the licence fee.

The corporation has been given legal dispensation to use the new technology, which is typically only available to crime-fighting agencies, to enforce the new requirement that people watching BBC programmes via the iPlayer must have a TV licence.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/05/bbc-to-deploy-detection-vans-to-snoop-on-internet-users/

Apologies for the Telegraph artical ;)

Yes because those TV licence Detection Vans have really actually worked and not just for show at all, so let them try do the same with the internet.. </sarcasm>

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Fubar said:

Yes because those TV licence Detection Vans have really actually worked and not just for show at all, so let them try do the same with the internet.. </sarcasm>

Reminds me of when i was younger and i didn't own a TV at all, let alone a TV licence. Without fail, every fortnight, the TV licence police would knock on the door claiming they had reason to believe i was watching TV with out a licence. They would always strongly hint it was the detecting vans that had tracked me down (which we know it wasn't), even thought it was clear it was because there was no licence registered to the address.

They always used to ask to come in and check and i would always politely tell them no.

it was a scare tactic then (Tv's receive they don't transmit) and is now (most peoples Wifi is pretty secure!)

Utter BS BBC

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Torolol said:

the whole TV license are archaic & stupid, in other countries they have none of that and perfectly capable of making profitable broadcast.

Four doses of ads in a half hour show? No thanks, I'd rather have a licence.

1 minute ago, MikeChipshop said:

That's why I stopped watching tv years ago. Believe it or not our local library has a pretty extensive dvd/blu-ray collection and while there might be some wait we get complete seasons of any tv shows to watch for free.

1 minute ago, trag3dy said:

That's why I stopped watching tv years ago. Believe it or not our local library has a pretty extensive dvd/blu-ray collection and while there might be some wait we get complete seasons of any tv shows to watch for free.

I watch very little outside the streaming services and the BBC. Channel 4 gets a look in as the ads aren't too, bad, but things like ITV/STV and channel 5 are a no go on my TV. Never thought about the library though, that's something to think about. We have a mobile library that comes around (We're pretty rural) and i know you can request certain things. Good idea trag3dy!

5 minutes ago, MikeChipshop said:

Its probably british specific greed/foolishnes.

In other countries a half hour shows, are comprises like this: 1.5 mins of Intro/opening, 20 mins of actual show-contents, 1.5 mins closing sequence,

which leaves max 7 mins for ads in a half hour shows.

3 minutes ago, Torolol said:

Its probably british specific greed/foolishnes.

Actually British shows suffer a lot less ads than most other countries. So really nothing to do with British greed/foolishness.

Also when you say "Other countries", what other countries are you alluding too? 

I don't know what it's like in "other countries" but I sat down to watch an episode of Master Chef tonight because the tv was on for some reason and it was literally 2-3 minutes of show followed by 2-3 minutes of commercials. I gave up after the second set of commercials.

16 minutes ago, trag3dy said:

I don't know what it's like in "other countries" but I sat down to watch an episode of Master Chef tonight because the tv was on for some reason and it was literally 2-3 minutes of show followed by 2-3 minutes of commercials. I gave up after the second set of commercials.

That must suck. Masterchef here is a BBC program and is an hour of uninterrupted programming.

1 minute ago, MikeChipshop said:

That must suck. Masterchef here is a BBC program and is an hour of uninterrupted programming.

Yeah it makes trying to watch a show tedious and well, not fun.

• Like 1

The big question of course, is this just scare tactics, or is are they actually going to be sniffing packets? I pay my TV licence, but i still wouldn't be happy with detector vans roaming around eyeballing my traffic.