Office XP look in Firefox/Thunderbird

update: A while ago, I made this tweak into an extension, with the added ability to use the colors of your system (not always blue). Download here

I have made a tweak for Firefox/Thunderbird that makes the menus and the menubuttons look like Office XP.

I got the idea after seeing this at kde-look.org. I used that as a base and changed the colors, refined the whole thing + added office xp style menu-buttons to it.

It should work in any Firefox/Thunderbird version at any platform with any theme, but it might look bad width some themes.

I colored it the same as my Office XP looked when I used the Opus OS Visual Style, so if you want other colors you will have to change them manually.

this is not a skin, it does not change the icons, only the way menus and menu-buttons look.

I think that this makes Firefox look more professional.

this is released under GPL (open source).

hope you like it

Installation:

put the files dotnet.png and userChrome.css in your personal firefox/thunderbird-chrome-dir (hint, mine is: C:\Documents and Settings\Andreas\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\default\dldqyjbq.slt\chrome) and restart firefox/thunderbird.

post-34-1073726953.png

version-log:

1.0.5:

fixed all problems when using this together with the Smoke theme by Aaron Spuler. Made the menu-separators in menus without colored left-margins look better. Made disabled menus visible again, that also makes the menu-buttons stop "jumping" when going into costomize mode.

1.0.4:

fixed a bug that made the forward/back buttons (and other buttons of that kind) get bigger if you clicked on them when they where disabled (grey). I also added instructions inside the file for how to get back the toolbar-separators, for those who like toolbar-separators (I dont).

1.0.3:

fixed a bug that made the forward-button and the back-button have diffrent size if they where disabled. That made the whole line of buttons move if you switched from a tab width history to one without.

1.0.2:

very small update, cleaned up a little and added authors names again (witch somehow disapeared betwean 1.0 and 1.0.1)

1.0.1:

fixed "no text under disabled menu-buttons in Windows Classic"-bug

1.0:

everything

OfficeXP_style_for_Firebird_1.0.5.zip

Edited by loopnine

sorry for not answering you but I was sleeping so it wasn't very easy :)

the reason for not making it a skin was because I wanted it to work on any other skin and not just the one I chosed to base it on.

thanks virtorio for posting a screenshot, I have uptaded the first post with one now to.

It is not the icons i have changed, just the way menus and buttons look.

I forgot to write yesterday that it works on thunderbird as well, thanks JustinSaneLBS for telling.

post-34-1073726953.png

it doesn't quite work in Windows Classic (Disabled menu items text doesn't show, no margin on the content menus) but it's still really cool :cool:

For me disabled menu items text does show in Windows Classic....

could you post a screenshot so I can see what you mean

Here

ok now i get it...

the reason why you don't se the text under disabled menu-buttons is because I wrote the color myself instead of importing it from windows, download it again now and it should be fixed.

I think the reason why you dont see the margin in the menus is because you only put the userChrome.css file in your chrome dir, and not the dotnet.png file.

Hey there, just registered to post this after seeing this topic linked from the Firebird forums.

This is absolutely awesome. ope you don't mind that I've emailed Firebird Help with a request to add this to the Tips and Tricks section.

- Chris