Falcon 9: Iridium-NEXT #1 (mission thread)

8 minutes ago, anthdci said:

missed it :( how long do the streams normally take to hit youtube?

Doc usually has them up here pretty fast....great launch though...you'll like it hopefully

• Like 1

1 minute ago, anthdci said:

wow the whole video of it coming down from the vehicles camera. Stunning.

In a short time, we will be able to see shots from different angles....it looked great though....

Would also like to see a dispenser sequence, if saved with S2 telemetry ...

Will post when available...

i have just one QUESTION ==>> WHY???… WHY Musk has no taken money of the 1st stage landings. crowds-crowds of tourists/journalists would be pleased to watch those landings by their naked eyes & cam it as well. there seems up to several millions of usd per landing. $Oooooo, WHY?????… :D:rofl::wacko:

9 minutes ago, SarK0Y said:

i have just one QUESTION ==>> WHY???… WHY Musk has no taken money of the 1st stage landings. crowds-crowds of tourists/journalists would be pleased to watch those landings by their naked eyes & cam it as well. there seems up to several millions of usd per landing. $Oooooo, WHY?????… :D:rofl::wacko:

The amount of savings gained in actually landing & reusing the thing far outweighs any 'fee' for watching it land. Good idea though.

9 minutes ago, John. said:

The amount of savings gained in actually landing & reusing the thing far outweighs any 'fee' for watching it land. Good idea though.

John, it's disputable question ==>> Lots have been dependent upon business model here & PR as well.

Odds and ends....

--------------------------

Vessel Tracker

Looks like tomorrow afternoon, PST...

-------------------------------

ExactEarth AIS, shipping, will be on 58 payloads and the Aireon package will be on all payloads in the constellation. This is great due to 70% of the planet with no coverage, soon to be 100% coverage by mid 2018. Iridium has also stated that launch #3 and on may be around 45 days now, if launchers ready.

See attached Press releases...

Iridium Press Release

Aireon Press Release

Vandenberg Press Release

This one is very interesting...

Space Intel Report on Iridium Network

----------------------

Private coverage, great job at catching stage separation....:D

Image album

image album

3 guys happen to catch SpaceX launch from an airplane

http://mashable.com/2017/01/15/birds-eye-view-spacex-launch/?utm_cid=hp-r-1#VMPP0ly2VOqQ

As a side note...members of a few other forums were present for the launch. Over a mile of cars parked on both sides of the highway outside the base and approximately 5000 viewers.....one complaint was that next time they need to bring milk crates for the young ones to stand on for eyepiece viewing on the portable gear...excellent...sounds like it was a great tailgate party....:D

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FloatingFatMan said:

I would so love to go to one of these launches, but the last time I did that was January 28 1986...

I imagine it would be even worse to see that in person....very tragic....:(

I would also like to see an F9, prefer a FH, but I am still enjoying the coverage....tailgate party would be fun....

1 minute ago, Draggendrop said:

I imagine it would be even worse to see that in person....very tragic....:(

I'd not long turned 16 at the time, and the memory of that day is as clear now as when it happened. 

In 1999 I had a chance to see the Shuttle launch again during my honeymoon (STS-103).  I built up the nerve to go see it, drove down to the launch site with my misses, and the launch was scrubbed!  By the time it was finally launched, I'd already gone home. :( 

I'm cursed!

1 minute ago, Draggendrop said:

I would also like to see an F9, prefer a FH, but I am still enjoying the coverage....tailgate party would be fun....

It would be an awesome party... As long as nothing goes bang!

• Like 1

Got tied up in other things a few days ago...and forgot to mention the core numbering being displayed on this launcher and others to follow...

zoom in and....

32312416415_b90892af0a_o.jpg

:D

Vessel Finder

• Like 1

Yep. :yes: I was wondering what format they were going to use for "flown" counts, like a little rocket under the serial number or something denoting how many times it has flown. @DocM's idea makes the most sense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

Yep. :yes: I was wondering what format they were going to use for "flown" counts, like a little rocket under the serial number or something denoting how many times it has flown. @DocM's idea makes the most sense.

No "turtles"....maybe "cigars"     :woot:

• Like 1

As we speak the ASDS is in its final stages of approaching the LA harbor! Hopefully Facebook/NSF/Reddit teams will have eyes on the ground :)

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=42052.0;

Image via NSF @vanoord

Pacific Warrior and NRC Quest are bottom right; the red box is around a ship berthed in the East Channel, where JRTI should be headed.

Sarah C is the vessel just to the right inside the breakwater opening, so it looked like a good call she may be involved.

• Like 1