SpaceX Interplanetary Transport System (updates)

BOTE, I'm guessing about 15 meters wide by 75-80 meters tall for the BFS lower stage. Betting BFS will be both the upper stage and the vehicle.  A 4:1 aspect ratio would make BFS about 60 meters long, which means a stack 135-140 meters tall.

• Like 1

And no way is it a 10-13 meter hull. It'd take a stack 150 meters (~500 feet) tall to hold the propellants, and there's not enough base area to hold 20+ engines with 4.2 meter nozzles.

• Like 1

Looking like a ~4 meter nozzle for the vacuum Raptor, and just under 2 meters for the sea level Raptor.

The combustion  chamber won't be much larger that a Merlin 1D's, more than 3x the pressure, but that dual multi-staged pumping system is going to be something to behold.

We ain't in Kansas anymore. 

• Like 2

Looks like SpaceX updated the Raptor Wikipedia page - added proprietary info like mix ratio and more accurate thrust numbers.

Raptor 

Propellants: LOX/liquid methane
Mixture ratio: 3.8:1
Cycle: Full-Flow Staged Combustion
Pumps: 2× multi-stage
Chambers: 1
Chamber pressure: 30 MPa (4,400 psi)

Sea level performance

Thrust (S/L): 2.7 MN (610,000 lbf)
Isp (S/L): 321 seconds
Nozzle ratio: ?? (likely 50ish)
Nozzle diameter: ?? (likely <2 meters)

Vacuum performance

Thrust (vacuum): 3 MN (670,000 lbf)
Isp (vacuum): 362 seconds
Nozzle ratio: 150
Nozzle diameter: ~4 meters (13 ft)

• Like 2

Yeah, we always lose about 10% at SL. That's the way of things ...

I stand by what I said though ... watching a night launch will be uncomfortable. Watching it in the daytime might be too. Two-dozen-plus Raptors going off at once is gonna be bright. :yes: 

• Like 2

Musk corrected himself about the production Raptor area ratio.

@elonmusk

@rocketrepreneur Meant to say 200 AR for production vac engine. Dev will be up to 150. Beyond that, too much flow separation in Earth atmos.