Recomend me a 'entry level' digital camera ~$100 USD

I really miss having a digital camera and the cell phone just doesn't cut it, so I'm looking to purchase a decent entry level (don't need a bunch of features) camera. I know next to nothing about the different types of cameras, etc. and Amazon would be my preferred vendor, but feel free to recommend me anything!

the credit card powershots are great little digital cameras.  I wouldn't call them entry level, perhaps a mom/dad on the go camera and want to snap some pics.  I think this are better than cell phones, mainly due to the fact that it is simpler to power on and take a shot...no passwords to enter, just power on and go...zoom is usually better too esp if you can get one with optical zoom in your price range. 

Entry level point and shoot would be either the sx50 or the sx60.  This is entry level before going to full dslr, has mega zoom capabilities as well as macro.  It doesn't beat the dslr capabilites with removable lenses, but it is an entry level camera prior to going full on dslr.  Some people with dslr's also carry this around so they don't have to worry about the extra lenses or cost due to the quality of it (decent, not great or fantastic). 

I really like the flip out screen of the sx50 and 60...helpful when doing family or selfie shots and you want to be in there.

if it has optical zoom, the little point and shoot cam will be better than the phone.  lets face it, digital zoom isn't the greatest.  even under 10mp, optical zoom is superior.

• Like 2

We just had this discussion when a family member was going to a wedding and wanted a camera.  We were like what is wrong with your phone?

The thing that is great with phones is you always have it with you.  While agree with sc302 can little credit card sized camera's do make easy and quick to take quick shots vs unlocking your phone ;)

When exactly do you plan on using it?  Your going to be the odd man out for sure at events where everyone is using their phones and here is you with some actual point and shoot camera ;)  While I agree optical zoom is going to be better, how often do you really zoom for shots in your typical shots?

Now I do have a HD video camera (should prob update to 4k), takes way better video than my phone.  I use it for grand daughters school and activity stuff (plays, soccer, swimming, etc.) Her and my grandson doing stuff in the yard, etc .  And I do take it to family events - xmas, birthdays, parties, etc.  But more often then not its just use the phone for those spear of the moment type of shots and video's

11 minutes ago, BudMan said:

We just had this discussion when a family member was going to a wedding and wanted a camera.  We were like what is wrong with your phone?

The thing that is great with phones is you always have it with you.  While agree with sc302 can little credit card sized camera's do make easy and quick to take quick shots vs unlocking your phone ;)

When exactly do you plan on using it?  Your going to be the odd man out for sure at events where everyone is using their phones and here is you with some actual point and shoot camera ;)  While I agree optical zoom is going to be better, how often do you really zoom for shots in your typical shots?

Now I do have a HD recorder, takes way better video than my phone.  I use it for grand daughters school and activity stuff (plays, soccer, swimming, etc.) and I do take it to family events - xmas, birthdays, parties, etc.  But more often then not its just use the phone for those spear of the moment type of shots and video's

+1 this.

Are you really going to use it?

I don't mind being the awkward one hauling my dSLR everywhere, there are some things/times/places/events etc, for me, point and shoot and/or cellphone resolution (SENSORS, not that megapixel craziness) doesn't cut it for me.

• Like 1

Yeah, I figured that digital cameras were pretty much dead with all the phones out there now. I have a Nikon DSLR that takes fantastic photos because I use RAW files and edit in Lightroom. However, my iPhone 6s is very close in quality in every day photos.

• Like 1

I carry 6 camera when I travel.

My Nikon D5200 DSLR for photography

My Samsung Galaxy Camera for point n shoot

My GoPro 4 Hero Black for action

My Ricoh Theta S for photospheres

My Brinno TLC-120 for timelapse

My iPhone 6 Plus for meh

As said above, a camera phone seems great but the small sensors, lack of optical zoom and battery life makes them a last resort for me.  I suggest a PowerShot camera, or if you prefer maybe a bridge?

11 minutes ago, patseguin said:

Yeah, I figured that digital cameras were pretty much dead with all the phones out there now. I have a Nikon DSLR that takes fantastic photos because I use RAW files and edit in Lightroom. However, my iPhone 6s is very close in quality in every day photos.

8 minutes ago, Nik Louch said:

I carry 6 camera when I travel.

My Nikon D5200 DSLR for photography

My Samsung Galaxy Camera for point n shoot

My GoPro 4 Hero Black for action

My Ricoh Theta S for photospheres

My Brinno TLC-120 for timelapse

My iPhone 6 Plus for meh

As said above, a camera phone seems great but the small sensors, lack of optical zoom and battery life makes them a last resort for me.  I suggest a PowerShot camera, or if you prefer maybe a bridge?

So... now that we have confessed you own a dSLR, why not post in the digital gallery?  on a daily basis :shifty: 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sc302 said:

the credit card powershots are great little digital cameras.  I wouldn't call them entry level, perhaps a mom/dad on the go camera and want to snap some pics.  I think this are better than cell phones, mainly due to the fact that it is simpler to power on and take a shot...no passwords to enter, just power on and go...zoom is usually better too esp if you can get one with optical zoom in your price range. 

Entry level point and shoot would be either the sx50 or the sx60.  This is entry level before going to full dslr, has mega zoom capabilities as well as macro.  It doesn't beat the dslr capabilites with removable lenses, but it is an entry level camera prior to going full on dslr.  Some people with dslr's also carry this around so they don't have to worry about the extra lenses or cost due to the quality of it (decent, not great or fantastic). 

I really like the flip out screen of the sx50 and 60...helpful when doing family or selfie shots and you want to be in there.

Both are nice looking, but they are at least $200+, which I guess is not completely unacceptable, but I was looking for something that I could just use besides my cell phone to take pictures of pets,nature,etc, I work on a Naval air station and the building that i work in is situated just feet from the river, so I see some really nice sunsets out there!

like I said, those are entry level where you can start having manual controls vs whatever the camera decides. This is pre dslr.  It really depends on how nit picky you are with pics and how well you can determine light and speed vs the auto mode. They do have a manual focus too so you can focus on different items in the shot, not just people or what is closest to the camera.  It gives you more control of the camera than just a take it out and shoot. But if you don't ever plan on learning how to use those features and actually using them, then it just becomes a high zoom point and shoot camera.  

Edit: also capability of external flash vs relying on built in flash (again having more control over lighting) and capability of adding filters to the lens.  https://www.amazon.com/Filter-Digital-Adapter-Replaces-FA-DC67A/dp/B005C4Z4CI

The credit card point and shoots will not have this capability and why I state the sx50 and sx60 are your entry level, not the credit card point and shoot.

• Like 1