Vladimir Guerrero Signs!

The Anaheim Angels have won the Vladimir Guerrero sweepstakes with a five year, $70 million deal, the LA Times is reporting. Earlier, the star outfielder rejected the Mets' three year deal, and rejected the Orioles six year deal.

This comes as a total surprise. He says he wants to stay in the East. He says he wants to stay in the NL, so he goes to the Angels. Well at least I wont have to worry about him destroying Atlanta's bullpen anymore.

What about the dreaded interleague play? :p

Interleague was a way to get fans back in the seats. It should be done away with already.....as well as throw out the DH rule.

I agree with interleague play but I like DH. I don't want to see a crappy pitcher make a fool of himself with a bat. With a DH I get to see a good hitter do just that, hit. You talked about entertainment value that's what the DH spot does.

Interleague was a way to get fans back in the seats. It should be done away with already.....as well as throw out the DH rule.

i never agreed with interleague play to begin with. The cross town rivalries and stuff are cool, but its just not really what baseball was meant to be. the world series and all star games are the only times the leagues should meet. if interleague is going to continue, it needs to be limited to only a teams geographical rival. Each team could play a home and home with one team from the other league each season. The two extra teams in the NL could just play eachother. The old World Series matchups are cool too, but it still sucks. I actually went to the first interleague game ever played. It was on June 12, 1997 at The Ballpark at Arlington. Giants/Rangers. The excitement was cool, but just didnt feel right.

As much as i hate interleague play, i hate the DH 1000 times more. It takes so much strategy out of the game, it makes AL games boring to watch compared to the NL. No sacrifices, no suicide squeeze, no pinch hitting, no double switching. They made the rule during a pitching heavy era, and thats definitely not the case today. The DH needs to be done away with. Players like Edgar Martinez get so much credit for being great players but they are only half of a ballplayer. A real player gets out there in the field and plays D too.

I agree with interleague play but I like DH.  I don't want to see a crappy pitcher make a fool of himself with a bat.  With a DH I get to see a good hitter do just that, hit.  You talked about entertainment value that's what the DH spot does.

No, there are 8 other good hitters in the lineup. And not all pitchers are automatic outs. Having the pitcher bat adds a whole new level to the game. And if the pitcher ever does get a big hit or a homer, its awesome. One of my favorite ballpark memories is when Greg Maddux hit a home run. Also last year in the NLCS, watching those fans at Wrigley go insane when Kerry Wood hit that homer in game 7, great stuff.

No, there are 8 other good hitters in the lineup. And not all pitchers are automatic outs. Having the pitcher bat adds a whole new level to the game. And if the pitcher ever does get a big hit or a homer, its awesome. One of my favorite ballpark memories is when Greg Maddux hit a home run. Also last year in the NLCS, watching those fans at Wrigley go insane when Kerry Wood hit that homer in game 7, great stuff.

Not all the pitcher are automatic outs is true but 99% of them are. One home run here and there is great but the majority of the time they suck. My one plea is for the MLB to be consist. Either have DH or don't. Not this one league does and the other doesn't. THAT'S CRAP! I'd like to see it stay but all I really want is for them to make up their damn minds. DH yes or no, not somewhere inbetween.

This surely is a surprise not that I follow this so much but I didn't expect him to sign. :pinch:

Also surprise is spelled surprise and suprise. ;) I think.

oh well. players never go anywhere to win anymore, they just go where the money is best.

and that is one reason i am starting to despise baseball.

and to keep in mind they get the nerve to strike for pay reasons. sports period is over rated. u spend al your money on your fave team's shirts and other stuff and what do u get out of it nothing u just make there pockets bigger

My one plea is for the MLB to be consist. Either have DH or don't. Not this one league does and the other doesn't. THAT'S CRAP! I'd like to see it stay but all I really want is for them to make up their damn minds. DH yes or no, not somewhere inbetween.

Well the NL is NEVER going to get the DH. None of the players or managers want it. The NL fans dont want it either. The American league would have to give up the DH for there to be unity. That is a more likely scenario. Joe Torre has spoken against the DH on several occasions. THe players union is not likely to let it happen though, its the right thing to do but it would cost jobs. i think its gonna be this way for a while.

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wanted baltimore to get him so badly! Oh well. What's done is done.

I hear they are talking to Pudge?? Why? DH??

And, baseball has no cap, so the angels dont have to clear any room. Although, i think baseball should have a cap.

The Anaheim Angels have won the Vladimir Guerrero sweepstakes with a five year, $70 million deal, the LA Times is reporting. Earlier, the star outfielder rejected the Mets' three year deal, and rejected the Orioles six year deal.

There are not enough swear words to dewcribe my feelings on this matter. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Vlad to Anaheim is o.k for me since I'm a Cubs fan and that's less I have to see of him...although the Cubs play Anaheim in interleague this year. It would suck though if Baltimore picked up Pudge to split C/DH duties with Javy since I wanted him here in Chicago. Which brings me to point number 2.

I understand interleague play and the reason it was implemented, and I understand the original Cubs-Sox matchups, but if the interleague schedule is on a rotation NL Central vs. AL West one year, then East, then Central, etc. Why do the Cubs play the freakin' Sox twice every year. That's one or two less team I get to see play each year. The reason...MONEY, the Sox can't draw anyone to that hole on 35th unless the Cubs are playing and they keep insisting on the matchups. Which brings me to my third rant.

I'm tired of teams changing uniforms just to sell jersies. Atlanta did it with Vick, Cleveland did it with LeBron, Denver with Carmelo, etc. Also, those puke ugly alternate football jersies need to go as well, The Bears in all Dark Blue, the orange Dolphins, the black Eagles, the Seahawks all dark colors, etc. Though I understand the money behind it, it's annoying and dumb. (I will give Cleveland and Denver some leeway since their previous unis sucked)

AND Finally...the DH...hate it, but it will be here to stay. Yes I like seeing the pitcher hit, because even the other pitcher thinks he's an easy out and a HR by him deflates the other team. Carlos Zambrano hit a sweet HR agains the Astros that turned a game around, Kerry's HR in game 7 of the NLCS was amazing. Plus it adds more strategy with double switches, sacrifices, etc. Another aspect the DH adds/takes away is intimidation. As of right now, purely on a player statndpoint (meaning no stats and numbers) the difference between Roger Clemens last year and Kerry Wood was that if Roger brushed someone back or hit them, Jason Giambi got his. If Kerry did the same, he has to worry about a little brush back when he's at the plate.

Whoo, long post. Finally done. Sorry if I went off topic.

The article I read said the Orioles offered him $65 mil over 5 years and the Mets had an offer that could have been worth $71 over 5 years (but I think he didn't want to go to NY...yankees or mets)

I am not too concerned with the Vlad deal. I am scared stupid about Clemns going to Houston! Being a Cardinals fan, i think we are relegated to anouther 3place season. Williams and Morris cant carry against the likes of Prior, Wood, Oswalt, petite, clemens, to name a few.

As of right now, purely on a player statndpoint (meaning no stats and numbers) the difference between Roger Clemens last year and Kerry Wood was that if Roger brushed someone back or hit them, Jason Giambi got his. If Kerry did the same, he has to worry about a little brush back when he's at the plate.

that is quite possibly the best ponit evermade on a Neowin forum. You also show a good understanding of the game. Pitching inside to the opposing pitcher is a nice touch you dont get with a DH.