Removal of Control Panel continues in 14942

Build 14942 is the first build where Microsoft removed the control panel from Windows+X shortcut list.

Everyone knows that they want to kill control panel and replace it with the crappy settings apps, and so the process begins...

Edited by nekrosoft13

Good, control panel needs to go, and the settings app isn't crappy at all.  They keep adding more and more to it, heck, if anything it's feature rich and at some point will do everything, and more, than control panel ever did.

• Like 2

On 10/9/2016 at 0:24 AM, nekrosoft13 said:

Build 14942 is the first build where Microsoft removed the control panel from Windows+X shortcut list.

Everyone knows that they want to kill control panel and replace it with the crappy settings apps, and so the process begins...

while I agree they need to merge them and update it, I agree the settings apps is crappy.

Can always create "god mod" (hate how that term stuck) folder by creating a folder with the following name:

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

2 minutes ago, Eternal Tempest said:

Can always create "god mod" (hate how that term stuck) folder by creating a folder with the following name:

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

There will come a point soon when even that won't be a option.  Right now in the AU and up, even if you do go to control panel, a number of things there will take you right back to the new settings app.   It's time to start to let it go, and move on from all the dialog boxes scattered all over Windows for no reason.    Thank god they're adding all these things into one place.

Just now, Dutchie64 said:

Weren't you able to name the folder anything you want? Or has that changed?

You can change the name, that's the name that the tweak/hack got stuck with. 

1 minute ago, George P said:

There will come a point soon when even that won't be a option.  Right now in the AU and up, even if you do go to control panel, a number of things there will take you right back to the new settings app.   It's time to start to let it go, and move on from all the dialog boxes scattered all over Windows for no reason.    Thank god they're adding all these things into one place.

I don't mind if their is a good replacement for the old, I still find some options I can't find in Modern UI control panel. 

13 minutes ago, George P said:

Good, control panel needs to go, and the settings app isn't crappy at all.  They keep adding more and more to it, heck, if anything it's feature rich and at some point will do everything, and more, than control panel ever did.

Hopefully without becoming the cluster**** that Control Panel did ...

Just now, Dutchie64 said:

Weren't you able to name the folder anything you want? Or has that changed?

You can but you still have the crappy {ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C} in it

3 minutes ago, DConnell said:

Hopefully without becoming the cluster**** that Control Panel did ...

As long as they keep it organized it shouldn't, last thing we need is for stuff to be once again scattered all over the place.

I'm not ideologically for or against Control Panel or Settings as long as they make something that works well. I currently see this sort of thing in Settings, which I think isn't good enough.

2016-10-14.png

10 minutes ago, zhangm said:

I'm not ideologically for or against Control Panel or Settings as long as they make something that works well. I currently see this sort of thing in Settings, which I think isn't good enough.

2016-10-14.png

That's usually the result of the indexing not being performed yet, at least in my experience. Annoying that it relies on the overall indexing and doesn't do it's own though, after a build update or fresh install it can take hours for search in settings to work.

1 minute ago, George P said:

Good, control panel needs to go, and the settings app isn't crappy at all. 

That's your opinion but I very much disagree. I'm all for the Control Panel being removed if there is a better alternative but the Settings app isn't that - it's just another sideways step, with Microsoft desperately trying to validate its failed app platform. It astonishes me that Microsoft has abandoned any semblance of design and character in favour of large amounts of text combined with flat, two dimensional icons with no colour or animations. I think it perfectly sums up Windows 10: uninspired, visually unappealing and poorly designed.

When I look at what Google and Apple are doing with UI / UX it's just depressing to see Microsoft taking backwards steps. 

Settings app:

2016-10-14.png

Pros: Self-contained (doesn't spawn additional windows); themes to choose from.

Cons: Icons are monochrome; elements are oversized; visually unappealing; difficult to navigate, wasted space.

Control Panel:

2016-10-14 (1).png

Pros: Numerous colours icons for quick identification; shortcuts to relevant sections; developers can expand upon it.

Cons: Difficult to navigate; wasted space; spawns additional windows; inconsistent.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ryster said:

That's usually the result of the indexing not being performed yet, at least in my experience. Annoying that it relies on the overall indexing and doesn't do it's own though, after a build update or fresh install it can take hours for search in settings to work.

This setting can't be found on any of my computers - one Slow ring, Surface Book that updated yesterday, and my desktop at home, which is still on the previous Fast ring build. I've usually found searching to be easier than launching the app and digging through the panels, but currently it doesn't work very well.

25 minutes ago, Eternal Tempest said:

I don't mind if their is a good replacement for the old, I still find some options I can't find in Modern UI control panel. 

Well, that's why control panel hasn't been removed yet - not everything has been added into Settings yet.

Personally, I think scrapping CP could be a good thing if Settings is kept clean and organized. If it doesn't then at worst it's a lateral move, but then what was the point, other than a new paint job?

9 minutes ago, DConnell said:

Personally, I think scrapping CP could be a good thing if Settings is kept clean and organized. If it doesn't then at worst it's a lateral move, but then what was the point, other than a new paint job?

Exactly. Most people agree that the Control Panel is dated and should be replaced but the replacement should be objectively better (which the Settings app simply isn't). Microsoft has gradually removed any element of graphical design and character from the operating system. A great example of this is the Action Centre: open it up and look at the icons at the bottom for Location and All Settings - they're tiny, have no colour, have no depth, don't provide any clue as to what they're for and have clearly never had an artist anywhere near them.

Microsoft desperately needs to hire some graphic designers and UX developers.

29 minutes ago, theyarecomingforyou said:

Pros: Self-contained (doesn't spawn additional windows)

In the past I've found that to be more of a con than a pro, although I admit I haven't bothered to look and see if there is a way to switch that ability off.

5 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

In the past I've found that to be more of a con than a pro, although I admit I haven't bothered to look and see if there is a way to switch that ability off.

Part of the problem with spawning additional windows is that they often have entirely different layouts that are out of place with other elements of the operating system. The Settings app avoids that by unifying the design - unfortunately the design is a bad one.