Obama eases restrictions on Cuba, lifts limits on rum and cigars

Americans traveling to Cuba will be allowed to bring home more of the communist-ruled island's coveted cigars and rum under new measures announced by the U.S. government on Friday to further ease trade, travel and financial restrictions that have been in place for decades.

The steps are part of President Barack Obama's effort to make his historic opening to Cuba "irreversible" by the time he leaves office in January.

The latest in a series of new rules since the two former Cold War foes began normalizing relations in 2014 will allow Cubans to buy certain U.S. consumer goods online, open the door to Cuban pharmaceutical companies to do business in the United States and let Cubans and Americans engage in joint medical research.

For American travelers, the biggest change is the removal of limits on the amount of rum and cigars they can pack in their luggage, strictly for personal use. The administration partially lifted the ban in 2015, allowing Americans to bring back $100 in alcohol and tobacco products. Now they can return with as much as they want as long as they pay duties and taxes.

"You can now celebrate with Cuban rum and Cuban cigars," U.S. National Security Adviser Susan Rice quipped as she laid out the policy changes in a speech to a Washington think tank.

U.S. law still bans general tourism to Cuba, but the administration has used previous regulatory packages to make it easier for Americans to visit the island under 12 officially authorized categories.

More....

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-cuba-usa-idUSKBN12E1H3

3 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

Who would want to go there? Maybe a guy that likes to restore cars from the 50's??

I know quite few people that spent their vacations on Cuba, from Canada and Europe, Almost all of them had the vacation of their life.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Yogurth said:

I know quite few people that spent their vacations on Cuba, from Canada and Europe, Almost all of them had the vacation of their life.

Good for them,  Ask how the Cuban citizen's like it, they came here by the boatload. If the US is lucky Obama will move there.

1 minute ago, Gary7 said:

Good for them,  Ask how the Cuban citizen's like it, they came here by the boatload. If the US is lucky Obama will move there.

Is this another one of those rants that makes absolutely no sense?

I've asked the Cuban citizens how they like it and they absolutely love it.

• Like 3

It is unfortunate that You grew up in the age of fear mongering You could have appreciated it too otherwise. But for Your information only, when a large scale research was conducted several years ago, where in the world are the people/citizens the happiest, it was on Cuba. Their lives are not easy and yet ...

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ctebah said:

Is this another one of those rants that makes absolutely no sense?

I've asked the Cuban citizens how they like it and they absolutely love it.

Then why did so many flee?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

Who would want to go there? Maybe a guy that likes to restore cars from the 50's??

What? It's probably the most popular winter vacation destination in eastern Canada. It's very close to us, it's affordable, the beaches are superb. And there are no American tourists :rofl:

Just now, Gary7 said:

Then why did so many flee?

People go where standards of life are higher, but that doesn't mean that people in Cuba are not happy.  Heck, people even emigrate from USA and Canada.

Go there before commenting next time.

1 minute ago, Andre S. said:

What? It's probably the most popular winter vacation destination in eastern Canada. It's very close to us, it's affordable, the beaches are superb. And there are no American tourists :rofl:

Wish the rest of us (Western Canada) got the same amount of Cuban destinations available.  Holguin is almost inaccessible from here unless you pay for extra (expense) flights.

3 minutes ago, ctebah said:

People go where standards of life are higher, but that doesn't mean that people in Cuba are not happy.  Heck, people even emigrate from USA and Canada.

Not 50 in a row boat.

5 minutes ago, Andre S. said:

I prefer St. Thomas.

53 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

most of those cars don't even have a car engine in them, they retrofitted motorcycle engines in a lot of them because they couldn't get replacement parts

5 minutes ago, neufuse said:

most of those cars don't even have a car engine in them, they retrofitted motorcycle engines in a lot of them because they couldn't get replacement parts

Yep, but still fun to look at :)

But those cars are worth money, the ones I saw in a documentary looked in pretty good shape. There are people that restore those type of cars and Cuba is a brand new source for them..They don't rust as much,

1 hour ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

I've been, it's a beautiful place with amazing food, drink and atmosphere.  As a lover of rum, I couldn't say no when the opportunity arose, and am certainly going to return.

What a "typical ignorant yank" thing to say, most likely born out of the fearmongering around Cuba's former communist status and the Castro situation.  Get a grip, that was so long ago that it's not relevant!

Right back at you buddy,there is nothing former about it.

34 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

While it is still technically communist, it's status in relation to the rest of the world has changed dramatically.  America seems stuck in the past, can't get beyond the whole flag-waving, anti-commie nonsense.  Asking why someone would want to go there is entirely xenophobic and moreover ignorant.

You keep thinking that way. The problem is that the workers are getting slave wages and the Regime won't let the tourists see the real Cuba, Why do you think Obama will not permit Tourism. He has to wait till there are two more deaths. And you sir can stop with the damn flaming. You must be from canada. Why don't you go there and live/

Just now, Gary7 said:

You keep thinking that way. The problem is that the workers are getting slave wages and the Regime won't let the tourists see the real Cuba, Why do you think Obama will not permit Tourism. He has to wait till there are two more deaths. And you sir can stop with the damn flaming. You must be from canada. Why don't you go there and live/

No, they don't, and you can see ALL of Cuba.  Your knowledge of Cuba is very limited, I suggest doing some research before next reply :)

13 minutes ago, ctebah said:

No, they don't, and you can see ALL of Cuba.  Your knowledge of Cuba is very limited, I suggest doing some research before next reply :)

I suggest that you do, All of you damn people that hate the US but when you people have any sort of trouble, all the world can't wait for The United States, as you cannot defend your selves.I will not get into the knowledge that you have. Just Use Google and watch the freakin videos.

28 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

Are you some special kind of fool?  I have very much seen "the real Cuba" - wow, talk about being caught in your own little bubble!

I suggest that you do, All of you damn people that hate the US but when you people have any sort of trouble, all the world can't wait for The United States, as you cannot defend your selves.I will not get into the knowledge that you have. Just Use Google and watch the freakin videos.

Pahahahaha funniest thread ever!  Sorry, but NOBODY wants the US to bail them out  - talk about dining on former glories.

What are you talking about?

Gary, I recommend you seek immediate medical help, you are displaying some very alarming symptoms.  

2 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

Are you some special kind of fool?  I have very much seen "the real Cuba" - wow, talk about being caught in your own little bubble!

I am not a fool, if I was I would tell you exactly what you are.

3 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

Pahahahaha funniest thread ever!  Sorry, but NOBODY wants the US to bail them out  - talk about dining on former glories.

Don't bother man, he goes off on these weird tangents almost daily.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Hmmm, it looks like it is @Gary7 vs Neowin. He doesn't lash out though! :p

Now where can I get me some cigars :D

No when someone says hateful things about my Country I fight back and do not just sit back and take it.

5 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

No when someone says hateful things about my Country I fight back and do not just sit back and take it.

Eh, you were on the attack since your first post on this thread. 

• Like 1