Confused about Google's messaging apps switching from iOS

Hey guys. I'm in the process of potentially switching to Android from iOS. Most everything seems pretty straightforward to me except Google's messaging apps. 

I use iMessage pretty heavily especially across multiple devices (Desktop / iPhone). What I cannot figure out with Google is if hangouts or allo can fully replace iMessage yet? 

Syncing across multiple devices including desktop 

Being able to integrate SMS directly in the app and being able to send SMS via the desktop app like iMessage / Apple Messaging app 

It looks like Hangouts can sort of do most of this, but also hear that Google is trying to phase that out for Allo which cannot do this 

Hangouts. However Google appears to be playing silly buggers at the moment so I'd imagine that will change. But for now, Hangouts is the better integrated of the messaging apps.

I think you get asked during setup if you want to integrate Hangouts with SMS messaging. I chose not to do this, maybe I should give it a whirl? Being able to SMS on desktop seem like a handy thing. :p

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

I think you get asked during setup if you want to integrate Hangouts with SMS messaging. I chose not to do this, maybe I should give it a whirl? Being able to SMS on desktop seem like a handy thing. :p

Yeah its pretty handy and I've gotten pretty used to it. 

If I enable Hangouts and SMS on my phone will that then work as well on the desktop?

22 minutes ago, wv@gt said:

Yeah its pretty handy and I've gotten pretty used to it. 

If I enable Hangouts and SMS on my phone will that then work as well on the desktop?

I enabled Hangouts as default SMS app and then got promoted to try the 'new Messaging app' as a default one, so it seems even Google isn't wanting people to set Hangouts as default SMS messenger :s

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

I enabled Hangouts as default SMS app and then got promoted to try the 'new Messaging app' as a default one, so it seems even Google isn't wanting people to set Hangouts as default SMS messenger :s

Hmm and what "new messaging app "are they trying to get people on then? Allo? 

As far as I've heard it supports SMS, but doest have a desktop client :/ 

This is why I'm confused to Google's strategy here 

32 minutes ago, wv@gt said:

Hmm and what "new messaging app "are they trying to get people on then? Allo? 

As far as I've heard it supports SMS, but doest have a desktop client :/ 

This is why I'm confused to Google's strategy here 

It was just the default Messaging app in Android lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steven P. said:

It was just the default Messaging app in Android lol.

So will hangouts absolutely not let you use sms even when selected? I just can't figure out the Google strategy here.

Messenger for (SMS and MMS?)

Hangouts for chat between Google users (possible SMS?)

Allo (fancy new messaging app for emojis but only on mobile devices)

Duo (Google's version for facetime) 

Afaik Messaging is just the standard SMS app, I have Hangouts installed too which works for whichever contacts are in it. One day Google will just settle on one service like Microsoft is trying to (Skype + Messaging) but for now it's a bit disjointed.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Afaik Messaging is just the standard SMS app, I have Hangouts installed too which works for whichever contacts are in it. One day Google will just settle on one service like Microsoft is trying to (Skype + Messaging) but for now it's a bit disjointed.

You can use Hangouts for SMS as well.

30 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

You can use Hangouts for SMS as well.

When I select it, the phone immediately suggest me to use the "new Messaging app from Google" instead.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wv@gt said:

Hey guys. I'm in the process of potentially switching to Android from iOS. Most everything seems pretty straightforward to me except Google's messaging apps. 

I use iMessage pretty heavily especially across multiple devices (Desktop / iPhone). What I cannot figure out with Google is if hangouts or allo can fully replace iMessage yet? 

Syncing across multiple devices including desktop 

Being able to integrate SMS directly in the app and being able to send SMS via the desktop app like iMessage / Apple Messaging app 

It looks like Hangouts can sort of do most of this, but also hear that Google is trying to phase that out for Allo which cannot do this 

Hangouts used to be able to handle SMS, but that was removed. You need SMS and Hangouts/Allo. Personally, I like Allo better but Hangouts is integrated into Google websites.

2 minutes ago, Xilo said:

Hangouts used to be able to handle SMS, but that was removed. You need SMS and Hangouts/Allo. Personally, I like Allo better but Hangouts is integrated into Google websites.

And Allo doesn't have a desktop app. I looked at PushBullet just now, seem like that is basically what I want and has something similar to air mail. Just can't believe google has made this so complicated. 

iOS / iMessage is just simple and works,

14 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

"When you turn on SMS, your existing text messages are imported into Hangouts on your Android phone. You won't be able to see them on your computer, iPhone, iPad, or tablet."

What good is it to use Hangouts then? :p

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

"When you turn on SMS, your existing text messages are imported into Hangouts on your Android phone. You won't be able to see them on your computer, iPhone, iPad, or tablet."

What good is it to use Hangouts then? :p

One stop shopping--on your phone. 

I use pushbullet, but also airdroid for syncing and transfers. PB used to be what you needed for messaging sync across devices, and not just sms but all notifications.  But now airdroid also does all the same things as pushbullet, and while I haven't tried it yet, it seems to do it better in some ways. 

2 hours ago, HawkMan said:

I use pushbullet, but also airdroid for syncing and transfers. PB used to be what you needed for messaging sync across devices, and not just sms but all notifications.  But now airdroid also does all the same things as pushbullet, and while I haven't tried it yet, it seems to do it better in some ways. 

Does airdroid let you be connected on multiple devices at one time yet? Last time I tried I couldn't be logged in on 2 computers at the computer  time. Which is too bad, because I loved it in comparison to pushbullet.