Xbox Games with Gold & Deals with Gold: January 2017

dipsylalapo

For the month of January, Xbox Live Gold members will receive four new free games – two on Xbox One and two on Xbox 360 – as part of the Games with Gold program. You can play both Xbox 360 titles on your Xbox One with Backward Compatibility.

On Xbox One, Xbox Live Gold members can download World of Van Helsing: Deathtrap ($19.99 ERP) for free during the month of January. Killer Instinct Season 2 Ultra Edition ($39.99 ERP) will be available as a free download from January 16th to February 15th.

On Xbox 360, starting Sunday, January 1st, The Cave ($14.99 ERP) will be free for Xbox Live Gold members through January 15th. Then on January 16th, Xbox Live Gold Members can download Rayman Origins ($14.99 ERP) for free through January 31st.

*Titles are available as free downloads for qualifying Xbox Live Gold members in all markets where Xbox Live is available. Some regions may offer different titles depending on market availability.

Source

EA Access Games in the Vault for Xbox One

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Games

Xbox Games with Gold & Deals with Gold: December 2016

• Like 1
  • Andrew pinned this topic
Andrew

I am making you the unofficial Neowin member of the month @dipsylalapo for doing all of the OP links, format and tags for me :p(Y)

Pinned

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
dipsylalapo

First week of deals for January. This week’s games and add-on deals on the Xbox Games Store. Discounts are valid now through 09 January 2017.

Source

George P

I don't see anything I like but I also have a chunk of titles I have to go through that I'm in no rush to add to the list right away.  After I get through most of them then lots of these will be on sale again or just cheap to begin with. 

dipsylalapo

Week two of deals for January. Discounts are valid now through to 16th January. 

Lots of deals on Rock Band 4 add ons for the Xbox One. 

Source

• Like 1
George P

Nice start to the new year for BC,  it really is a good idea for publishers to get their games on the list,  you can still buy them and at very low prices so it only adds to their bottom line in the end. 

dipsylalapo
1 minute ago, George P said:

Nice start to the new year for BC,  it really is a good idea for publishers to get their games on the list,  you can still buy them and at very low prices so it only adds to their bottom line in the end. 

Yep agree to some point, but don't forget we still see a lot of titles being remastered, which would be a good reason to not add to BC. Also if a sequel is due and they don't want to take the attention away from that, could be another reason. 

Still 100% behind you, and publishers really should push to make as many of their titles BC as they can.

George P
2 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Yep agree to some point, but don't forget we still see a lot of titles being remastered, which would be a good reason to not add to BC. Also if a sequel is due and they don't want to take the attention away from that, could be another reason. 

Still 100% behind you, and publishers really should push to make as many of their titles BC as they can.

Yeah,  if they want to do a remaster then sure,  valid reason not to add it,  but I think we're not going to see many more of those at this point,  it was a good and quick way for them to get something on the new systems at the start. 

Now that we're a good bit into this generation it's time for new games to come out.  Also if there is a sequel in the pipeline then releasing the older ones to BC is a good way to get people to jump into the series and buy the sequel. 

dipsylalapo
5 minutes ago, George P said:

Yeah,  if they want to do a remaster then sure,  valid reason not to add it,  but I think we're not going to see many more of those at this point,  it was a good and quick way for them to get something on the new systems at the start. 

We had a few AAA titles released towards the back end of last year. 

Bioshock - Sept

Batman: Return to Arkham - Oct

The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim - Oct

CoD: MW - Nov

George P
9 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

We had a few AAA titles released towards the back end of last year. 

Bioshock - Sept

Batman: Return to Arkham - Oct

The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim - Oct

CoD: MW - Nov

Yeah, but I really don't think we'll see many more going into this year, I think it's time for them to work out on games targeting the PS4 Pro and Scorpio, we could see "4k" updates hitting games now as the next new fad in gaming.  I really hope the remakes end and we can move on to new games.  I really don't play games over often, I always hunger for something new be it new IP or even sequels to series I like.

• Like 1
+LostCat

Don't forget Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey and Catherine...we're definitely seeing a lot of unexpected BC games showing up which is promising.

dipsylalapo

This week's Deals with Gold and Spotlight sale. Discounts are valid now through to 23rd January. 

Source

George P

Nothing that catches my eye this week. 

dipsylalapo

This week's Deals with Gold and Spotlight sale. Discounts are valid now through to 30th January. 

Source

dipsylalapo

Alice: Madness Returns is now BC

George P

Some solid deals this week,  I can't wait to get back and play through the backlog I have. 

dipsylalapo

Last week of deals for January. Discounts are valid now through to 6th Feb

Source

dipsylalapo

More titles added to BC. This time it's Stuntman: Igntion, Mad Tracks and JUJU. Enjoy!

• Andrew unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Usama Jawad96
      Microsoft develops new machine learning model to detect password spray attacks
      by Usama Jawad

Over the past few weeks, Microsoft has been promoting digital security efforts as a part of its observance of the National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM) in October. It has announced new initiatives to promote cybersecurity awareness, unveiled Zero Trust Deployment Center, released an Adversarial ML Threat Matrix, and launched a fairly successful offensive against the malicious Trickbot botnet.

Now the company has stated that it has developed a new machine learning-based algorithm that detects password spray attacks with considerably improved performance than its previous mechanism.

Image via Abine For those unaware, a password spray is a relatively crude and common form of cyberattack in which a malicious actor attacks thousands of IPs with a few commonly used passwords rather than trying numerous passwords against a single user. While this indicates that the success rate per account is quite nominal, it also means that the attack is very difficult to detect since it is spread out with such uneven consistency that a tenant may dismiss a couple of unsuccessful login attempts per account as part of the regular login pattern. So, this attack can only be detected across multiple tenants if you notice a single hash failing across numerous accounts.

To counter password spray attacks, Microsoft previously built a heuristic mechanism in which the company observed "the core failure in the system in... worldwide traffic" and notified organizations at risk. Now, the company has improved this mechanism by training a new supervised machine learning algorithm that uses features such as IP reputation, unfamiliar login properties, and other account deviations to detect when a tenant is under attack from password spray.

Microsoft claims that its new model has a 100% increase in recall compared to the heuristic algorithm. This means that it detects twice the number of compromised accounts. Furthermore, it also has a 98% precision, which means that if the model claims that an account has fallen victim to password spray, then this is almost certainly true across all cases.

The new model will be available soon to Azure AD Identity Protection customers, who will be able to utilize it in the portal and APIs for Identity Protection.

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Microsoft starts rolling out trackpad support to Office apps for iPadOS
      by Jay Bonggolto

Microsoft today announced fresh updates for its Office apps on iPadOS that introduce full support for trackpad capabilities, among others. The latest changes are live for those using Word, Excel, and PowerPoint on the iPad.

The software giant says the new updates should come in handy if you're using a mouse or Apple’s Magic Keyboard to move around texts in Word, resize content in PowerPoint, or select cells in Excel, for example. The cursor also automatically adjusts its function according to the content you're working on.

If you have been using these Office apps on Windows or macOS, the new iPad experience will look familiar to you. That said, today's announcement is not entirely surprising since a report earlier this year suggested that Microsoft would add trackpad support for its Office suite apps on iPadOS.

In addition, the Redmond-based company has introduced new start screens and a fresh ribbon of feature menus to the Word, Excel, and PowerPoint experiences. It says these enhancements provide a "cleaner and more modern" look in line with its Fluent UI design.

These updates are rolling out in phases and should be available to everyone in the next few weeks. In the future, Microsoft has promised to bring multiple document support in Excel, contextual menus, and offline file support for cloud files.

• By indospot
      Microsoft announces new improvements for PowerPoint for Mac
      by João Carrasqueira

Microsoft has announced some improvements that are making their way to PowerPoint for Mac today, along with some other forthcoming improvements. One of the most notable additions that's coming soon is the ability to record video of the presenter during a slideshow.

With remote learning being fairly common these days, the ability to record videos presentations along with presenter video should help educators make more engaging content. Additionally, Microsoft is adding the ability to record inking as well as laser pointer movements during a slideshow. Office Insiders can try these features early, but they should come to general users soon.

In the meantime, some features that were already being tested by Insiders are making the jump and becoming available for everyone. For one thing, it's now possible to record audio files and insert them into a presentation on the fly. You can also export PowerPoint presentations as animated GIFs, complete with the ability to set the image quality and how many seconds should be given to each frame.

Finally, PowerPoint for Mac is getting the ability to generate links to a specific slide in a presentation. All of these features should be available today.

• By Rich Woods
      Lenovo Legion 5 (AMD Ryzen 7 4800H) unboxing and first impressions
      by Rich Woods

Lenovo's Legion 5 is almost identical to the Legion 5i that I reviewed over the summer. In fact, Lenovo didn't even send over a new reviewer's guide because there's one key difference: it has AMD's Ryzen 4000 H-series processors. The 45W chip inside of the one that Lenovo sent me is the Ryzen 7 4800H.

The Ryzen 7 4800H is an octa-core processor with 16 threads, and as mentioned above, a 45W TDP. It has a base clock speed of 2.9GHz and a max boost clock of 4.2GHz. It's built on AMD's Zen 2 architecture, so it's on a 7nm process.

As far as graphics, this machine has an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 Ti. Gone are the days of always seeing AMD Radeon graphics in AMD-powered gaming PCs. Here's the problem though. Like HP did with its OMEN 15, Lenovo gave the AMD version of its product only lower-end SKUs. The Legion 5 is offered with a GTX 1650 or GTX 1650 Ti, while the Intel-powered Legion 5i is offered with a GTX 1660 Ti or an RTX 2060.

Check out the unboxing video below:

• By indospot
      Skype Preview now support 100 call participants
      by João Carrasqueira

Despite having arguably fallen from grace, Microsoft's Skype service continues to get somewhat frequent updates, and new features have been added consistently this year as a result of more people working from home. Microsoft has just released version 8.66 of Skype to Insiders, and it has just one major feature - support for 100 call participants.

Up until now, Skype only allowed for up to 50 participants to be in a group call, but Microsoft's other big communication service, Teams, is much further ahead. Currently, up to 300 people can participate in a Teams meeting, though that's also a more business-oriented offering. Either way, you can now be on a Skype call with up to 100 people, which is a good option to have.

That's basically the only major addition with this release, though Microsoft does list a few bugs that have been fixed with this update:

If you're in the Skype Insider program, this new update should be available on your devices in the next couple of days. General users will have to wait a while longer to receive it.