Formula 1 World Championship 2017 Season Discussion

Merecedes will nail the Silverstone. A quick fact about the British GP: Ferrari has won most titles at the British Grand Prix since it started. But Mercedes looks to taake it all away.
If anybody needs a TV streaming guide for the race here you go

Also loved Kyvat "ooh hang on i've done a few clean laps. Can't be having that!"

Driver of the Race: Lewis Hamilton - Perfect day for him.

Reject of the Race: Daniil Kvyat - As if taking out Verstappen in Austria wasn't bad enough, now he takes out his own teammate!

There is a rumour going around that Sainz could be jumping ship to Renault before Hungary in two weeks' time, replacing Palmer (who also had an awful day today): http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news/2017/07/knalleffekt-bei-toro-rosso-sainz-ab-ungarn-im-renault-17071603.html?utm_source=FB-MST&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=fbmst-n-1-106844_-_knalleffekt-bei-toro-rosso-sainz-ab-ungarn-im-renault (German) - after today, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes now just to get away from Kvyat and can't be arsed to wait for Toro Rosso to sack him.

Palmer being unlucky ✓

Kvyat being a Torpedo ✓

Verstappen DNF

Alonso DNF ✓

So close to an F1 Bingo race

• Like 4

19 hours ago, MightyJordan said:
<snip>

Driver of the Race: Lewis Hamilton - Perfect day for him.

Reject of the Race: Daniil Kvyat - As if taking out Verstappen in Austria wasn't bad enough, now he takes out his own teammate!

There is a rumour going around that Sainz could be jumping ship to Renault before Hungary in two weeks' time, replacing Palmer (who also had an awful day today): http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news/2017/07/knalleffekt-bei-toro-rosso-sainz-ab-ungarn-im-renault-17071603.html?utm_source=FB-MST&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=fbmst-n-1-106844_-_knalleffekt-bei-toro-rosso-sainz-ab-ungarn-im-renault (German) - after today, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes now just to get away from Kvyat and can't be arsed to wait for Toro Rosso to sack him.

Hmm, intersting choice for Driver of the Race.

Personally, I'm torn between Bottas or Riccardo - probably Danny even with the mistake.

Lewis sure had a perfect drive (from the little we saw of it) but I think as far as winning drives go he had an "easy" day of it and wasn't really challenged. Bottas and Ric, on the other hand, had outstanding drives.

As for the torpedo, I'll be surprised if he lasts past this season. I think he's had long enough and hasn't proven himself to be anything of class. I think the claims of " he was just a passenger" and a harsh penalty was wrong. He looks like he kept his foot in, going off through that fast section should mean you come off the throttle, something I think he's made the mistake of doing too many times.

I'd feel sorry for Palmer if he does get the boot, I don't think he has star talent and was pretty lucky to get a second season but this year he's not had lady luck on his side. Sainz should think twice about jumping ship mid season to a team that is quite often behind his current one. He's scored more points than Hulk today and as a team, they are a few points ahead. 

• Like 2

For me the driver of the race was clearly Daniel Ricciardo. Reject of the race, if not the season? Daniil Kvyat. Red Bull should look into a replacement. 

1 hour ago, Skiver said:

Hmm, intersting choice for Driver of the Race.

Personally, I'm torn between Bottas or Riccardo - probably Danny even with the mistake.

Lewis sure had a perfect drive (from the little we saw of it) but I think as far as winning drives go he had an "easy" day of it and wasn't really challenged. Bottas and Ric, on the other hand, had outstanding drives.

True, but it was still a "grand slam" for him; pole position, race win, fastest lap and led every lap. Even with Mercedes' dominance - and that being Hamilton's 3rd grand slam of the season - they're still a bit of a rarity in F1: http://f1.wikia.com/wiki/Grand_Chelem

3 minutes ago, MightyJordan said:

True, but it was still a "grand slam" for him; pole position, race win, fastest lap and led every lap. Even with Mercedes' dominance - and that being Hamilton's 3rd grand slam of the season - they're still a bit of a rarity in F1: http://f1.wikia.com/wiki/Grand_Chelem

True, don't want to take anything away from it.

I also hadn't realised 3 were from this year, Merc is strong for sure, but dominant is actually not a word we can use as easily this year compared to the previous 3.

• Like 1

It's a good battle at the top (actually throughout the whole field really), although AMG look to have more than anyone else. Force India has been doing quite well lately, both cars!

5 minutes ago, Skiver said:

Merc is strong for sure, but dominant is actually not a word we can use as easily this year compared to the previous 3.

Yeah, I should have said recent dominance.

• 2 weeks later...

Well that was an interesting race.

Reject Max or K Mag

Driver of the day: Vettel for winning with a busted car, or Hamilton for being very sportsman like and giving the place back to Bottas.

Car of the Day: and I can't believe I'm saying it....McLaren! for finally delivering a half decent car, enough for a double points finish and fastest lap!

Saw an interesting stay that 26% of Championships have been won by 3 points of less...will be interesting to see how that plays out towards the end of the season.

So now that the hype around Kubica's test has died down a bit, what are our thoughts. It's pretty clear he has the capability to drive competitively now. The question is, where, and when, will he get a drive?

I think it's really depend on Palmers' "luck" the rest of the season, if he continues to under-perform when the car isn't breaking down or he isn't being crashed into, I could see Kubica back in a car before the end of the season...Probably also depends on contracts as well...

Agreed with Phil on this, it really all depends on Palmers results. Unfortunately for him, I don't think unreliability of the car will actually save him either, he needs some points and he needs them in the next few races. He's got zero points on the board. if we ignore the one or two race replacements like Button, Giovannazi and Diresta the only other person to not score points is Ericsson and Sauber have pretty much been at the back of the grid since the get go.

There were some rumours that if Kubica showed good pace he'd be in the car for Spa so the answer to this may come quicker than we all expect. I'm actually surprised Palmer got the 2nd year as it was, his results from last year were not great.