Formula 1 World Championship 2018 Season Discussion

42 minutes ago, philcruicks said:

Well that's the championship right there, what an absolute fail by Ferrari, bad strategy and Quali mistake by Vettel has just thrown it away.

And here was me hoping for a final race fight to win the championship.

The 'trying to beat VER round a corner' move sealed it for me, desperate move and it showed.

Like I said before, the fact that Ferrari didn't swap the drivers round says it all really

I find this really hard to read, Merc have clearly gotten George into Williams somehow, yet they can't find Ocon a seat? 

I'm looking forward to seeing 3 brits on the grid next year but it will be a shame if Ocon drops off the grid.

20 minutes ago, Skiver said:

I find this really hard to read, Merc have clearly gotten George into Williams somehow, yet they can't find Ocon a seat? 

Seems there may be a reason for it besides money for once...

"RaceFans understands Ocon was unwilling to commit to Williams for more than a single season. He could be in the frame for a promotion to Mercedes at the end of 2019 when the team’s option on Valtteri Bottas comes up for renewal.

Another driver in the frame for the Williams seat was Russell’s F2 rival Artem Markelov. Williams had talks with the Renault test driver but failed to reach a deal. Markelov’s father Valery was arrested in Russia earlier this month over a bribery charge involving Russian Railways, which has funded Artem’s F2 career."

https://www.racefans.net/2018/10/12/george-russell-handed-f1-debut-with-williams-in-2019/

(Damn the inability to add quote boxes on the mobile site!)

Interesting, so if Ocon ends up without a drive, it's because he believes that he IS going to replace Bottas by the end of next year. Right now, Merc would be silly to even consider replacing Bottas just yet. He might not like it, and I hope he has a lot better season next year, but right now he is the perfect number 2 driver. He's quick, so you can always count on him to be at the sharp end ignoring issues outside of his control and he's a team player who will do what's best for the team and not just himself.

Congratulations to Lewis on well deserved 5th Championship! 🍾

And a pretty good race to finish it on, shame he didn't get the win too, I always think its nice if they get to be on the podium.

Ric is just having the worst luck, like I swear someone in Renault must be sabotaging him haha.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There we go, another season done and dusted.

If anyone here gets withdrawal symptoms, Formula E's kicking off a new season on December 15th, and it should be a good'un: no more car swaps, BMW and Nissan are joining the fold - the latter currently scrambling to find a new second driver after Toro Rosso poached Alexander Albon from them - and Felipe Massa's returning to full-time racing!

I'm hoping with the BBC picking up the coverage from Channel 5 this season FE might get a bit more traction (pardon the pun). Gen2 car certainly looks the part.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, philcruicks said:

I'm hoping with the BBC picking up the coverage from Channel 5 this season FE might get a bit more traction (pardon the pun). Gen2 car certainly looks the part.

I wasn't aware of that, I've never really followed FE too much. The races I did watch I found pretty boring, the nature of the street circuits I've seen felt like I was watching Monaco each and every time, very little chance for overtaking.

I have seen some pictures of the new FE cars and they do look amazing, however.

5 hours ago, philcruicks said:

They're only gonna be showing one race live on TV for now; the rest are on the red button or iPlayer. Presumably, if it does well, they'll start airing more of them on BBC One or Two, but even the one race they pick to show - if not the season opener in Saudi Arabia, my money's on Monaco in May - will almost certainly blow last season's viewing figures on Channel 5/5Spike out of the water (motorsport on the BBC is sadly a rarity, nowadays, since they were forced to drop F1). There's gonna be four races shown live on Quest, too, their parent company Eurosport's still showing the whole season, and if all else fails, we can also finally (legally) watch the YouTube streams.

• Like 1

Yeh I'm gonna give the BBC a go, but not sure if it'll be HD on the red button...if it is then great, else I'll be going YouTube too.

Yeh I'll give you a fair few of the races have been a bit meh, but a few last season were amazing, I think Rome and Paris in particular.

It deff got better in season 4 where they could actually race at the pit stops rather than having a minimum time.

The championship protagonists were better this year too.

• Like 1

• Brandon H unpinned this topic