Formula 1 World Championship 2018 Season Discussion

Interesting to see Kimi beating out Seb in both sessions.

Lets hope it's as interesting a race as Bahrain

32 minutes ago, philcruicks said:

Interesting to see Kimi beating out Seb in both sessions.

Lets hope it's as interesting a race as Bahrain

To be honest, I think this has been the case so far this year.

I have a feeling there were quite a few races last year where Kimi was beating Seb in sessions and even in Quali but when it came to the races the pace disappeared or Ferrari (whether intentionally or not) managed him back behind Vettel. 

Chinese GP: McLaren fined for Stoffel Vandoorne pit-stop error

McLaren hit with 5,000 euro fine after Vandoorne released with loose tyre in P2; Fifth unsafe release in opening three grands prix.

McLaren have become the latest team to be fined by F1's governing body for an unsafe release of their car from a pit stop.

Amid mounting scrutiny over the sport's pit-stop procedures and safety measures after a Ferrari mechanic suffered a double leg fracture at the Bahrain GP, McLaren released Stoffel Vandoorne's car during Practice Two in China without its right-rear wheel properly attached.

Source

Are the teams trying to get rules changed on them around pit stops? There's no pressure in FP sessions, sure it's good practice but there's little need to rush and make mistakes like this.

Ferrari's throwing their annual tantrum early this year: https://www.racefans.net/2018/04/13/ferrari-will-pull-out-if-f1-becomes-distorted-marchionne/

Ferrari chairman and CEO Sergio Marchionne has repeated the team’s threat to quit Formula One despite Liberty Media offering the manufacturer concessions in its proposal for how the sport will be run from 2021.

RaceFans revealed earlier this week Ferrari stands to lose its unique Long Standing Team payment, worth $68 million last year, under the proposed restructuring of how F1 distributes its prize money. It will be replaced by a $40 million payment which Ferrari must write down to group profits.

No other team will receive a similar payment. Engine manufacturers, of which Ferrari is one, will each receive an additional $10 million payment under the plan.

• 2 weeks later...

30822208_1028939790596336_78234070255448

Oh, how the mighty have fallen, another crash for Max. I wasn't watching for most of the session so not quite sure how it happened but I think Max needs to sit back and re-evaluate his approach at the moment. I understand to be fast you need to be at the limit but I think his maturity and experience is beginning to show that he's testing that boundary too much. 

From what I understand, Ferrari didn't really go after any fast times and Kimi spent most of the session in the garage. I'm hoping Hamilton was also working on setup but I did hear a team radio in which he reported not being able to turn left which I assume was more understeer that an actual problem but it's looking like he may have another difficult weekend.

3 hours ago, Skiver said:

Oh, how the mighty have fallen, another crash for Max. I wasn't watching for most of the session so not quite sure how it happened but I think Max needs to sit back and re-evaluate his approach at the moment. I understand to be fast you need to be at the limit but I think his maturity and experience is beginning to show that he's testing that boundary too much. 

From what I understand, Ferrari didn't really go after any fast times and Kimi spent most of the session in the garage. I'm hoping Hamilton was also working on setup but I did hear a team radio in which he reported not being able to turn left which I assume was more understeer that an actual problem but it's looking like he may have another difficult weekend.

Looks like he just lost the back end under braking, pretty similar to his others, it's at the end of this summary of FP1
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/4/fp1--bottas-leads-in-baku-as-verstappen-crashes.html

Yet another crazy race. Once again, well done, Baku!

Driver of the Race: Charles Leclerc - amazing he managed to get that Sauber into the points already, let alone finish 6th. Honourable mention to Bottas, too; he was so unlucky at the end.

Reject of the Race: Plenty of good candidates here today, but I'd say Romain Grosjean for managing to crash out under the safety car.

• Like 2

Sergey Sirotkin has been given a three-place grid penalty for the next race for his collision with Sergio Perez in the Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

The Williams driver will be docked three places on the grid at the Spanish Grand Prix as the stewards held him responsible for the first-lap collision. Perez went on to finish third.

“The driver of car 35 [Sirotkin] drove into the back of car 11 [Perez],” the stewards noted. “The stewards determined that the driver of car 35 was wholly to blame for the collision.”

Sirotkin was also given two penalty points on his licence for the crash. Following the contact with Perez he tangled with Nico Hulkenberg and Fernando Alonso, suffering race-ending damage.

https://www.racefans.net/2018/04/29/sirotkin-given-grid-penalty-for-spanish-grand-prix/

• 2 weeks later...

McLaren Group, the holding company for McLaren Racing and McLaren Automotive after the company’s restructure in the wake of the departure of former dual shareholder Ron Dennis, has received a capital injection of £203.8m, made by Nidala (BVI) Limited to purchase 888,135 ordinary shares in the Group.

A McLaren spokesperson would not disclose the shareholders of the British Virgin Isles-based entity, saying, “We aren’t at liberty to disclose details of the investor. This is, as you will know, not uncommon practice.”

However, RaceFans understands that Michael Latifi, CEO of major Canadian food conglomerate Sofina and father of F2 racer and current Force India driver Nicholas Latifi, has interests in Nidala.

Nidala is thought to stand for Nicholas Daniel Latifi. The McLaren spokesperson also did not comment on whether a drive for the 22-year-old is a condition of the investment.

https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/19/mclaren-receives-200-million-cash-injection-from-company-linked-f2-driver-latifi/

So, Latifi to Stroll into McLaren next year?

I don't follow the lower formula's too much, whilst it is a name I've heard before it doesn't look like he's been winning much throughout his career. I also don't think there's any amount of money that could get Stroll into Mclaren, at least I hope not.