Footage of backyard big cat reignites 'Milwaukee Lion' rumors

15 hours ago, DocM said:

It's not just predators like big cats, wolves, coywolves etc.

People have been seriously injured of killed by deer/elk/moose, mainly run-ins with bucks during the fall rut (mating season) when they get extremely aggressive.

When I was a kid an antlered buck in rut wandered into town and was charging every thing/one in sight, eventually jumping through a diner window; making a huge mess and scattering patrons. Cops had to shoot it. They've also gored people, causing deaths, and a friend of mine had over 50 stitches to close a leg wound caused by an antlered doe (yes, there is such a thing.)

In short - bucks can be crazy and are territorial. They aren’t afraid of anything, and will attack their own reflection in a window, any window, during the rut. Bambi isn't always so cute. 

And then there are very aggressive wild hogs....another big can of worms. Our DNR's position on them is if you have any kind of hunting license or a concealed weapons permit, shoot them on sight.

Southlake had a problem with feral hogs, and there is at least 1 large buck that lives in the area near the lake.  He ran across the street right in front of me just before XMAS.  If I were 20 yds further in the road - the result would have been very bad for both of us.

27 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

Southlake had a problem with feral hogs, and there is at least 1 large buck that lives in the area near the lake.  He ran across the street right in front of me just before XMAS.  If I were 20 yds further in the road - the result would have been very bad for both of us.

Michigan alone has ~45-60,000 car-deer incidents a year, in 2015 it was 47,007. Some are car-deer impacts but many are car-car while attempting to avoid hitting the deer.

1.75 - 2 million deer, and they do quite well in populated areas. Too well. 

2015: 11 human deaths,  1,132 injuries.

Some of our old whitetail bucks weigh over 350 lbs, though 125-200 lbs is more typical.

On 1/7/2017 at 9:50 PM, LittleFroggy said:

@BinaryDataWhat Caliber do you use? I'm using a Semi Auto .308 DPMS LRT-SASS

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-sps-tactical

I don't own this gun, it's a friends who goes shooting with us. I have a .45 Springfield XDS I use for concealed carry, looking at getting a 9mm too.

In our situation a "woods defense pistol" would be the .500 S&W Magnum or a .44 mag Ruger Alaskan to handle a bat**** crazy buck, cougar, large bobcat, hogs or bear. For the urban jungle it's a .40 SIG Sauer P320 compact.

Rifle? Depends on what we're hunting. Anything from a .17 HMR or .22 or up to a .54 plains rifle.

5 hours ago, BinaryData said:

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-sps-tactical

I don't own this gun, it's a friends who goes shooting with us. I have a .45 Springfield XDS I use for concealed carry, looking at getting a 9mm too.

They say the Remington 700 Tactical is the best "out of the box" rifle there is. and reliable.. wow. that's 700 is sweet

A big puddy tat was spotted in a rural community 30 miles SW of Detroit last November. Videoed (lousy) in front of 7-8 foot grass, showing a shoulder height of 2-2.5 feet. DNR blew it off, as usual, but a wildlife consultant said it's consistent with a mountain lion. Local cops have issued a warning to residents. Still from the video,

cougar.jpg