Many Insured by Obamacare Voted for Trump: Inside the Numbers

After years of promising to "repeal and replace Obamacare," the Republican Party is finally in the position to follow through this year, and party leaders are beginning to understand the challenges that come with the promises they've made regarding the Affordable Care Act.

One of the big issues the GOP is facing: Many of the communities with the biggest increases in health insurance coverage since 2008 were Republican-leaning places that voted for President-elect Donald Trump.

In December, a Wall Street Journal story outlined how many counties that voted heavily for Trump also saw increases in health insurance coverage greater than the overall national increase. Those counties, categorized by the American Communities Project, were largely rural and white, with many holding large evangelical populations, and scattered throughout the key states that won Trump the presidency.

Below is a look at some counties in swing states that went heavily for Trump and that also saw noteworthy drops in their uninsured rates during Barack Obama's time in the White House.

trump_counties_with_drops_in_uninsured_2

http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/insured-obamacare-voted-trump-inside-numbers-n704441

Well when you think about many people who live in rural areas and may not be making a lot of money who have been forced to either have insurance where they didn't or abandon cheaper plans which are no longer valid under the new law this isn't that surprising.

9 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

Well when you think about many people who live in rural areas and may not be making a lot of money who have been forced to either have insurance where they didn't or abandon cheaper plans which are no longer valid under the new law this isn't that surprising.

The data show that the places that has the biggest drops in uninsured rates (in other words, lot of people were uninsured before Obama came along, but are insured now) voted for Trump.

• Like 1

Just now, illegaloperation said:

The data show that the places that has the biggest drop in uninsured rate (in other words, lot of people were uninsured before Obama came alone, but are insured now) voted for Trump.

Because they don't like being forced to pay for insurance?

Just now, illegaloperation said:

The point is, the people most heavily affected by Obamacare seem to be the ones voting against it. So for whatever reasons they may choose, they don't like it. Thus they voted Trump. This article is a sad attempt at pointing out hypocrisy when those who are supposedly hypocrites don't even have a choice in the matter. It's either pay for it via fine, or pay for it and get some insurance to go with it. Agian. It's not that surprising.

5 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

The point is, the people most heavily affected by Obamacare seem to be the ones voting against it. So for whatever reasons they may choose, they don't like it. Thus they voted Trump. This article is a sad attempt at pointing out hypocrisy when those who are supposedly hypocrites don't even have a choice in the matter. It's either pay for it via fine, or pay for it and get some insurance to go with it. Agian. It's not that surprising.

How did you managed to read three long articles in 2 minutes?

You must be the world's fastest reader, but apparently the quality of your reading is very poor.

It's clear that they don't want Obamacare to be repeal.

Here're two more articles.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trump-voters-didnt-take-him-literally-on-obamacare-oops/2016/12/20/46ef3cae-c6f3-11e6-bf4b-2c064d32a4bf_story.html?utm_term=.e1c5d6d107c8

http://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2016/12/13/13848794/kentucky-obamacare-trump

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, illegaloperation said:

How did you managed to read three long articles in 2 minutes?

Or maybe you already posted them as separate threads and I read those articles? Can you even keep up with your own posting? But lets analyze them.

First one is an anecdote, one guy doesn't speak for everyone.

Second addresses exactly what I've been saying:

There was one thing many said they liked about the pre-Affordable Care Act insurance market: their ability to buy lower-cost plans that fit their needs, even if it meant that less healthy people had to pay more. They were unmoved by the principle of risk-sharing, and trusted that Mr. Trump would find a way to protect people with pre-existing medical conditions without a mandate, which most viewed as “un-American.”

Third article is conjecture, and is assuming that the only "plausible" changes will result in even higher premium prices. Basically, it's a non-story.

12 minutes ago, illegaloperation said:

It's clear that they don't want Obamacare to be repeal.

It's clear they want something different, and the simplest (and easiest) solution is to come up with something that works, and then repeal and replace Obamacare (without a gap in coverage). But I guess you didn't read the articles either, just the clickbait headlines.

13 minutes ago, illegaloperation said:

This article cites the situation of Debbie Miller, and flatly states she didn't vote for Trump to repeal Obamacare.

Mills, who supported Trump for other reasons, figured Obamacare repeal was just talk. “I guess we really didn’t think about that, that he was going to cancel that or change that or take it away,” she said. “I guess I always just thought that it would be there. I was thinking that once it was made into a law that it could not be changed.”

This also does not represent most voters, and is why this is an opinion piece and not an actual article.

Perhaps instead of spamming me with articles (that you yourself don't even read) you can make a real argument rather than trying to let them speak for you? Or is that all you do, regurgitate the propaganda of left wing media?