• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Not sure if i've received a fake Wii U Pro controller

Recommended Posts

Technique    36

I ordered one of these. It came from China. I know some will automatically say that it must therefore be a fake but i guess there has to be some official ones out there?!?

 

The controller cost me about £25 which is considerably less than i can pick up if i go to the high street. Maybe they're about £40 there i think. Somewhere near that maybe. It was advertised as an official controller though, not a replica but an official one.

 

When it came though i'm not so sure. The box was a little bit of a nightmare to get in to but again this doesn't mean it has to be fake.

 

I do have another Wii U Pro controller but that one was sold as a replica, it didn't even try to pass off as being genuine. On that one when i press the A button for example, it'll flash maybe 3 times. When i press the A button on this new 'genuine' controller it flashes maybe 13 times.

 

Photo 11-01-2017, 6 29 48 pm.jpg

Photo 11-01-2017, 6 32 56 pm.jpg

Photo 11-01-2017, 6 27 31 pm.jpg

Photo 11-01-2017, 6 29 16 pm.jpg

 

 

 

If it's a fake then it's a pretty convincing fake, but i'm just not 100% convinced either way.

 

Is there a way to tell?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xendrome    5,515

Well the gold Nintendo logo should say "Official Licensed Product" or "Official Seal of Quality" above/below the Nintendo name, so yeah it's not legit.

 

Here is an official box - 20130531_055243.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FiB3R    1,663

Looks fake to me.

 

BATTERY text above the LED is too bright, Wii U text/logo looks too... bold. But that could be the blurry picture.

 

Screw on the battery cover is different?

 

Does it have tri wing screws in the handles?

Edited by FiB3R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Andrew    2,861

It's definitely fake. That label on the battery cover is nothing like the original. Also, the battery cover screw should be black to blend in with the plastic. It should look like this:

 

post-7842-0-97536400-1404130512.jpg

 

 

 

 

The Home, Minus and Plus buttons also look matte when they should be glossy.

 

 

And as Fib3r said the Battery text is too white and the U in the Wii U logo too thin.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xendrome    5,515

So you saved 15 for a piece of junk, well done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Technique    36

Yeah i was just coming back here to say that i had spotted that the dvice was not official.

 

Thanks for your replies.

 

Now a question of whether to contact the seller for a refund else i look in to whether i can report them for selling fake goods or just go straight to my credit card issuer to say i've been sold fake goods that were advertised as the real deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HoochieMamma    716

Where did you buy it from? Did the seller specifically state "Genuine" or "Official" in the listing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steffan    91

 

10 minutes ago, Technique said:

Now a question of whether to contact the seller for a refund else i look in to whether i can report them for selling fake goods or just go straight to my credit card issuer to say i've been sold fake goods that were advertised as the real deal.

All of the above

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Technique    36
26 minutes ago, HoochieMamma said:

Where did you buy it from? Did the seller specifically state "Genuine" or "Official" in the listing?

Yes they said "official", showing a photo (lifted from the internet i guess) of a Wii U box with Nintendo logo on it.

 

Thing is while reporting them will be good, i just want my money back. No doubt they'll want me to return it to them back to China at a cost of the item so i'll actually end up with no money back and that'd be IF they would even bother to refund me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LaP    2,177
46 minutes ago, xendrome said:

So you saved 15 for a piece of junk, well done.

Not necessarily. Fakes from china are often of very good quality (and often not). I bought a fake something couple of years ago and it served me very well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Circaflex    3,564
2 minutes ago, Technique said:

Yes they said "official", showing a photo (lifted from the internet i guess) of a Wii U box with Nintendo logo on it.

 

Thing is while reporting them will be good, i just want my money back. No doubt they'll want me to return it to them back to China at a cost of the item so i'll actually end up with no money back and that'd be IF they would even bother to refund me.

That is 100% illegal for them to withhold any money or charge you anything if they sold you a fake product that they claimed was real. 

 

The process is straightforward:

Contact them and let them know they sold you a fake piece of merchandise. You want a refund of all of your money. If they want it shipped back to them, tell them to provide you with a shipping label.

If they give you any sort of pushback, thank them for their time and let them know you will just have your Credit Card company issue a charge back. If they still insist on charging you for anything, just follow through with the chargeback and be done with it.

 

That's all there is to that.

Just now, LaP said:

Not necessarily. Fakes from china are often of very good quality (and often not). I bought a fake something couple of years ago and it served me very well.

I believe his point was, OP tried to save money by going the extremely cheap route, in the end he bought a fake item and saved a whopping 15 dollars. Now, he has to spend time (which for most people takes away from them making money, think opportunity cost) to remedy the situation. Looking back, spending the $15 extra dollars by going through an official retailer, wouldve been a wiser choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LaP    2,177
11 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

I believe his point was, OP tried to save money by going the extremely cheap route, in the end he bought a fake item and saved a whopping 15 dollars. Now, he has to spend time (which for most people takes away from them making money, think opportunity cost) to remedy the situation. Looking back, spending the $15 extra dollars by going through an official retailer, wouldve been a wiser choice.

Yeah for 15$ it's not worth it. Was mostly replying to the "piece of junk" statement.  OP did not say if it was working well or not.

 

I must admit when i bought my fake i knew it was fake and i paid 20$ shipping included for something that is usually sold 70-80$ shipping not included.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Circaflex    3,564
Just now, LaP said:

Yeah for 15$ it's not worth it. Was mostly replying to the "piece of junk" statement.  OP did not say if it was working well or not.

 

I must admit when i bought my fake i knew it was fake and i paid 20$ shipping included for something that is usually sold 80$ shipping not included.

It is one thing to know up-front that you are purchasing a fake item. However, if you paid believing the item was authentic, you have every right to be upset. You pay a "premium" for the authenticity and quality, ending up with a fake whether it works or not/has the same quality is still a reason to be upset and want your money back.

 

What I have learned, especially with gaming consoles, is that fake/3rd party items are generally not as good quality or performance wise when compared to OEM products straight from Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HoochieMamma    716

^Yep, that's the kicker. If you thought you were getting an original it's worse. Knowingly getting a fake can sometimes be just fine though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Technique    36

I already have a fake Pro controller & i know it was a fake. That's why i went to buy the real thing because the fake just doesn't perform well.

 

I've not even bothered to try out the 2nd 'official' fake because i'm not interested in a fake.

 

I just went to buy the real thing just now & i remembered why i actually bought this. I don't seem to be able to buy the real thing. Local stores that would sell it seem not to. It's on their websites but there's none in stock locally & hasn't been for a long long time & it's also unavailable for delivery in my area (& i live in a big city). So it seems that it's totally unavailable.

 

And Amazon isn't the guarantee that people think it is either.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Andrew    2,861
41 minutes ago, Technique said:

I already have a fake Pro controller & i know it was a fake. That's why i went to buy the real thing because the fake just doesn't perform well.

 

I've not even bothered to try out the 2nd 'official' fake because i'm not interested in a fake.

 

I just went to buy the real thing just now & i remembered why i actually bought this. I don't seem to be able to buy the real thing. Local stores that would sell it seem not to. It's on their websites but there's none in stock locally & hasn't been for a long long time & it's also unavailable for delivery in my area (& i live in a big city). So it seems that it's totally unavailable.

 

And Amazon isn't the guarantee that people think it is either.

It is if you buy directly from Amazon and not Marketplace

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Wii-Pro-Controller-Black/dp/B009ACALCQ/


 

Quote

 

This item can be delivered to UK - Mainland. Details

Dispatched from and sold by Amazon. Gift-wrap available.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.