nVidia Shield K1

I'm an Apple man so I use an iPad Pro 9.7 at home. However, I previously owned the latest Nexus 7 which I consider to my favorite tablet ever. So, I've been looking for something in that size range for using my Logitech Harmony remote app, gaming, etc. The Shield came up and I previously hadn't heard of it so I did some research and bought it on Amazon for $199. Performance has not been at all what I expected though. Everything I do on the tablet seems to have a noticeable lag to it. I tap on an icon on the home screen and it seems to be like a second before it responds. I tried a few apps like Facebook and YouTube and interacting with those were painfully slow. Scrolling didn't work and the whole tablet seemed to have been frozen at some point too. Is this tablet just a really low performance value type tablet? I thought it would at least be on par with my old Nexus 7 and even higher since it's billed as "the gamer's tablet".

Something sounds wrong. I don't own either version of the Shield, but this goes against all that I've read regarding it, especially the K1. My suggestion is to look up some unboxing and review videos on YouTube and see if the performance is similar to yours. If you think that yours is performing poorly, perform a reset on it and see if that helps. 

Just now, NeoTrunks said:

Something sounds wrong. I don't own either version of the Shield, but this goes against all that I've read regarding it, especially the K1. My suggestion is to look up some unboxing and review videos on YouTube and see if the performance is similar to yours. If you think that yours is performing poorly, perform a reset on it and see if that helps. 

What do you mean either version? I thought this was the only one so far. But yeah, they advertise it as the tablet for gamers so I expected it to be pretty fast especially in normal OS stuff.

Have you installed an SD card?

I owned a K1 a while back and the SD card I was using wasn't up to scratch speed-wise and with adoptive storage turned on it slowed down the entire device.

There was a previous model that folded down onto the controller for it. This was called the Shield Portable and it used a Tegra 4 chipset.

And I agree that it should be pretty snappy with respect to Android as a whole.

2 minutes ago, accelerator said:

Have you installed an SD card?

I owned a K1 a while back and the SD card I was using wasn't up to scratch speed-wise and with adoptive storage turned on it slowed down the entire device.

Nope, I ordered an SD card but I don't have one right now. I pretty much got the tablet on Sunday and ran an update which installed 1.5 which has Marshmallow 6.0.1 I think it is. All I did was install a couple of games and apps but it is so slow I can't do much with it. I play a lot of Hearthstone and even a simple digital card game is too slow to play.

39 minutes ago, patseguin said:

Nope, I ordered an SD card but I don't have one right now. I pretty much got the tablet on Sunday and ran an update which installed 1.5 which has Marshmallow 6.0.1 I think it is. All I did was install a couple of games and apps but it is so slow I can't do much with it. I play a lot of Hearthstone and even a simple digital card game is too slow to play.

Does sound strange. Even with my SD card issues, I found gaming performance was fine (if installed on internal storage), even though in general usage it was slow.

Might be worth attempting a reset, but it seems you may have a faulty unit.

9 hours ago, accelerator said:

Does sound strange. Even with my SD card issues, I found gaming performance was fine (if installed on internal storage), even though in general usage it was slow.

Might be worth attempting a reset, but it seems you may have a faulty unit.

Yeah just got home from work and tried using it again. Even something simple like waking it up has a delay of a couple seconds. It was such that I pressed it a few times because it appeared to be not working and then it came on and off a few times a few seconds later. I got to the home screen and tapped on Chrome and it was about 2-3 seconds before it opened. Even rotating the device it was delaying a long time rotating the UI. Is it just that slow or do I have some kind of defect?