Handbrake keeps shutting off PC

Yeah so I don't know how to fix this. Whenever I try to convert movies in Handbrake, my PC shuts off completely and I have to unplug it and switch the PSU on an off and that's after waiting a little while. I DONT think it's overheating because I also play games and it doesn't shut off. But then again, the game isn't very demanding since it's the Telltale Batman series. I'll try a more demanding game, but I don't think that's the issue. Any ideas?

yeah that does sound like it could be overheating to me. either the PSU or the CPU

you may not notice it in a game as that is more GPU heavy while converting media uses the CPU more.

easiest way to test this is have a temp monitor open while running Handbreak next time and see if anything shoots up.

Okay I will run HWMonitor now and see what it says.

Okay so I noticed the CPU went from  35C to 40C while encoding. I have an H60 water-cool setup so it shouldn't overheat and this JUST started happening in the last few days after having that setup for a while. What next?

Edit: CPUID HWMonitor says 40C is the Max.

Okay so I am monitoring it since I misunderstood the first part. The max moves with the CPU and now I am about to hit 51C to the CPU.

Hit 54C and still running right now. I've seen some people say they went all the way to 65C on the FX8350.

Okay so it shut down around 55C and hasn't turned on yet. It powers up, but nothing shows up on screen. So I'm guessing the power supply is fine and the CPU is the culprit. To clarify, the PC itself didn't shut down, I shut it down after the audio and video went out and the computer was still running for about 3 minutes before I pulled the plug. So would it make sense to add more thermal grease? Or just kill it off and replace it now? Thanks folks!

If it's running at 55C max, that isn't a bad thing. I think your GPU is bad. You have onboard GPU/APU? Try running it without your GPU. If that helps at all, there is your culprit.

The GPU is a few months old lol. I know it happens, but that would suck. And no I have no on board video. As of right now, the computer turns on, but won't post at all. Usually I let it sit for a minute and then it posts but right now, nothing. I'm thinking of pulling it apart and re-seating the GPU and seeing if that works. And I didn't know the GPU could cause a shut down.

Thanks to whoever sorted my ideas for me in one response. Sorry about that.

Try resetting BIOS. Take out the battery, wait 10 seconds, insert.

Never say how old it is. Any device can fail at any time :)

Edit: Now I think it, you might want to check your RAM with memtest...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, C-Squarez said:

Yeah so I don't know how to fix this. Whenever I try to convert movies in Handbrake, my PC shuts off completely and I have to unplug it and switch the PSU on an off and that's after waiting a little while. I DONT think it's overheating because I also play games and it doesn't shut off. But then again, the game isn't very demanding since it's the Telltale Batman series. I'll try a more demanding game, but I don't think that's the issue. Any ideas?

handbrake uses all cores 100% id wager your chips overheating and PC shuts down to protect itself. Games rarely use all threads 100%, this also rules out the PSU most likely also, as 3d mode with a cpu and gpu pulls maximum draw at times, and you say it never happens when gaming. ive also seen PCs not power on until the core temp drops to an acceptable limit (although it usually starts to post then shut down)

whip off the heatsink, clean and apply new thermal compound, see if that helps.

• Like 1

Wait, before you make changes to the  hardware if you think something is bad, check the options in handbrake that allows to shutdown after completing converting the movies.  If so, change that option so it won't shut down after converting complete.

See the example:

s5yhFuW0-hand-shut-s-.png

Unless you meant it gets shut down during converting, then my bad... please carry on.

• Like 1

Okay so I'll try to clear the BIOS and wipe down the CPU and re-seat the GPU and see if that helps. In all seriousness, I'm kind of itching to buy all new parts and switching to the i5 or i7. So if this doesn't work, I'm buying new stuff.

Taz, it shuts off within a few minutes of trying to conver. It STILL hasn't turned back on besides the PSU.  

1 minute ago, C-Squarez said:

Okay so I'll try to clear the BIOS and wipe down the CPU and re-seat the GPU and see if that helps. In all seriousness, I'm kind of itching to buy all new parts and switching to the i5 or i7. So if this doesn't work, I'm buying new stuff.

Taz, it shuts off within a few minutes of trying to conver. It STILL hasn't turned back on besides the PSU.  

Ah..  I see.  Sounds like GPU or PSU issue.   How much RAM you have?

• Like 1

you have me curious now :) sorry just reread your original post. 

Ravensky may be on the money actually now I re-read it.

transcoding atm and ill check if my GPU is active at all, i cant remember if it does, what card is it? NV or AMD? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

Ah..  I see.  Sounds like GPU or PSU issue.   How much RAM you have?

16GB

4 minutes ago, Mando said:

you have me curious now :) sorry just reread your original post. 

Ravensky may be on the money actually now I re-read it.

transcoding atm and ill check if my GPU is active at all, i cant remember if it does, what card is it? NV or AMD? 

GTX 950

4 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

yeah it's sounding like something may be starting to fail if it takes so long before it can properly power up again :/

Yeah I have a laptop that I can still use for work.

Here is a twist, I've been encoding videos for years and this JUST started happening. My CPU has been overclocked since I bought it in 2013.   

hmm ok just checked transcoding a mp4 to MKV with highest settings, as you can see my Nvidia card isnt involved. 

Its all cpu bound, now ofc thats NV i dont know if Handbrake can utilise AMDs options for GPU processing, or if you are infact using an AMD GPU.

If you look at the screeny below you can see load on GPU is minimal (its probably hardware accel in chrome causing the card to come out of idle state). But you can see how hard it hammers the CPU :) 

handbrake temps.jpg

when did you last clean and replace your thermal compound on the CPU heatsink? Also is the heatsink fins free of fluff and dust? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mando said:

hmm ok just checked transcoding a mp4 to MKV with highest settings, as you can see my Nvidia card isnt involved. 

Its all cpu bound, now ofc thats NV i dont know if Handbrake can utilise AMDs options for GPU processing, or if you are infact using an AMD GPU.

If you look at the screeny below you can see load on GPU is minimal (its probably hardware accel in chrome causing the card to come out of idle state). But you can see how hard it hammers the CPU :) 

handbrake temps.jpg

when did you last clean and replace your thermal compound on the CPU heatsink? Also is the heatsink fins free of fluff and dust? 

When I replaced the cooler a few months ago but it wasn't as thorough as it should have been. There was virtually no dust at all when I went to dust it yesterday.

1 minute ago, C-Squarez said:

When I replaced the cooler a few months ago but it wasn't as thorough as it should have been. There was virtually no dust at all when I went to dust it yesterday.

the gunk may not be transferring the heat to the block effectively enough, raising the core temps, not sur eon AMD motherboards where the other CPU temp diodes are, if any close on or the socket. 

An amd expert may be able to confirm. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, slamfire92 said:

I'm still betting PSU. If those temps you posted were accurate, CPU temps aren't the problem.

What brand/wattage is the PSU?

It's this one.

Here is a great deal on the SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold (SS-650KM Active PFC F3) 650W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Hasw , http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-151-088
 I found.

2 minutes ago, C-Squarez said:

It's this one.

Here is a great deal on the SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold (SS-650KM Active PFC F3) 650W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Hasw , http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-151-088
 I found.

I want that.... :laugh:

But, yeah, a new PSU might help. Get that and see if anything improves. If not,  send it back. :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, slamfire92 said:

Seasonics are good quality PSUs. Anything can fail though. You need to acquire a temp PSU to know for sure.

slightly off topic but have Seasonics started improving again? When i built my tower a couple years back I looked at Seasonic PSUs and they all had reports of bad coil wine issues at the time.

22 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

slightly off topic but have Seasonics started improving again? When i built my tower a couple years back I looked at Seasonic PSUs and they all had reports of bad coil wine issues at the time.

I thought all Seasonics were good. *shrugs*

23 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

You never know..  sometimes, companies have improved their stuff after their failed stuff...  Remember each company have ups and downs depending on their good or bad products.  People have moved around from company A to company B for better products.

For example, Samsung has failed Note 7 so people have moved on to iPhone or Android phone ... Samsung is trying to get them back by providing their new upcoming products.

• Like 2