Handbrake keeps shutting off PC

Yo....

I...Am...AMAZED. On the Very Slow setting in Handbrake, I'm able to re-encode huge mkv's in less than 3 hours. It used to take me a couple days to do 10 files. All 10 will be done by time I wake up in the morning and I'm still able to use the computer without a hiccup while it's encoding. So crazy!!

Yo....

I...Am...AMAZED. On the Very Slow setting in Handbrake, I'm able to re-encode huge mkv's in less than 3 hours. It used to take me a couple days to do 10 files. All 10 will be done by time I wake up in the morning and I'm still able to use the computer without a hiccup while it's encoding. So crazy!!

Lol. I can re-encode a 45GB Blu-ray in less than an hour, and my laptop isn't OC'd. Handbrake doesn't use GPU at all, DVDFab 9 uses Nvidia GPU acceleration. My buddy has a 1080 and it shreds encoding like crazy.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

13 hours ago, C-Squarez said:

What type of TV do you have? I have a Hisense 55in 4k and I don't notice a huge difference personally. For reference, I had Lasik and have 20/15 vision. Plus I like them that size since I stream to Plex and even though I have a 200Mbs connection, they stutter at certain sizes.

the tv i notice it on most is my 55" vt60, but in the living room, we have some LG 4k tv that my roommate bought and it is generally the blacks that are most noticeable. But each to their own, for me, storage is not a problem so having large files doesnt really bother me. Also, not sure if you know this, but you can change the quality settings through Plex if you are attempting to stream content over the internet.

• Like 1

the tv i notice it on most is my 55" vt60, but in the living room, we have some LG 4k tv that my roommate bought and it is generally the blacks that are most noticeable. But each to their own, for me, storage is not a problem so having large files doesnt really bother me. Also, not sure if you know this, but you can change the quality settings through Plex if you are attempting to stream content over the internet.

You can, but i believe it taxes the server more. I have a dual core on mine because it wasn't meant for plex but my other server is too loud. Plus, I turned it into an esxi box for 2 other people once I get the switches up.

5 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Yeah I know. I ended up hard wiring the media server to my network and changing the quality to the highest possible. I only have a 4TB HDD for storage, will get another soon. That's where my movies and such go. I don't have that much storage when you think about it. But all in all, if it works for you, great. That's really awesome. I do understand the criticism of the deepness of the blacks on the TV. I've seen them in those micro size movie files that are always 1GB or under that claim to be HD.

1 minute ago, BinaryData said:

You can, but i believe it taxes the server more. I have a dual core on mine because it wasn't meant for plex but my other server is too loud. Plus, I turned it into an esxi box for 2 other people once I get the switches up.

Yea no doubt, sometimes my i5 will even want to crap out if i change the quality to much.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, C-Squarez said:

Yeah I know. I ended up hard wiring the media server to my network and changing the quality to the highest possible. I only have a 4TB HDD for storage, will get another soon. That's where my movies and such go. I don't have that much storage when you think about it. But all in all, if it works for you, great. That's really awesome. I do understand the criticism of the deepness of the blacks on the TV. I've seen them in those micro size movie files that are always 1GB or under that claim to be HD.

1GB is average for a TVShow for 720p, movies shouldn't dip below 3 - 4GB if you're rocking 1080p. I notice issues when I drop below 4GB. A lot of the video files I have now, are 4GB due to my friends/family members only having 60Mbit connections, while I have 1Gigabit. I keep my RAWs and upload them to ACD / Backblaze (Starting this Feb 1st).

2 hours ago, Circaflex said:

Yea no doubt, sometimes my i5 will even want to crap out if i change the quality to much.

I have a high end dual core, it's terrible. Thankfully I can upgrade to a i7 because I was smart and bought a compatible motherboard :) Though, I do wonder, can you use Server Processors in Desktop Motherboards? Never thought of doing this until now.

1 minute ago, BinaryData said:

1GB is average for a TVShow for 720p, movies shouldn't dip below 3 - 4GB if you're rocking 1080p. I notice issues when I drop below 4GB. A lot of the video files I have now, are 4GB due to my friends/family members only having 60Mbit connections, while I have 1Gigabit. I keep my RAWs and upload them to ACD / Backblaze (Starting this Feb 1st).

I have a high end dual core, it's terrible. Thankfully I can upgrade to a i7 because I was smart and bought a compatible motherboard :) Though, I do wonder, can you use Server Processors in Desktop Motherboards? Never thought of doing this until now.

some can with a bios update.

15 hours ago, C-Squarez said:

Yo....

Wait so you changed your CPU cooler and now it's faster to encode? Am I missing something?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Wait so you changed your CPU cooler and now it's faster to encode? Am I missing something?

It was probably throttling before and he did not notice; that or it is able to hit the turbo frequency more often because the temps are down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xendrome said:

35 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

It was probably throttling before and he did not notice; that or it is able to hit the turbo frequency more often because the temps are down.

haha both missing a bit of info. a few posts back OP mentioned the pins got bent when he removed the cooler so he ended up getting a new cpu (went from amd to intel at that)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

haha both missing a bit of info. a few posts back OP mentioned the pins got bent when he removed the cooler so he ended up getting a new cpu (went from amd to intel at that)

Great :) Intel is better anyway especially for this type of stuff.

• Like 2

Lol yeah I have a whole new PC. Went from a FX 8350, 16GB of 1866Mhz RAM and a H60 cooler unit to an i5, 3000Mhz RAM and a H100i v2 cooler. A few more changes but that's the important stuff. So now I can encode movies much much faster.

Just now, xendrome said:

Great :) Intel is better anyway especially for this type of stuff.

agreed, Intel's superior multi-threading definitely reins king when encoding

• Like 2