Nexus 6P won't install on any system

My dad has a Nexus 6P.

When he connects it to my Windows 10 PC or his own Windows 10 laptop, nothing appears in Computer (any USB mode on the phone).

Device Manager shows a yellow exclamation mark next to the device.

Trying to reinstall shows that an error occurs whilst installing 'MTP Device' (service installation section in INF invalid).

I have tried installing the standard Android USB drivers, no luck.

I've tried with and without USB debugging mode enabled.

Any ideas?

Maybe the USB cable itself? I didn't need any special drivers installed on Win. 10 just to transfer files between PC and the 6P.

58 minutes ago, tsupersonic said:

Maybe the USB cable itself? I didn't need any special drivers installed on Win. 10 just to transfer files between PC and the 6P.

The cable is fine.

Of course it should be that simple but it isn't, in this case.

More info.: Device is not rooted/altered in any way, just a standard Nexus 6P.

I've had to install the drivers on Windows 7 machines, but not 10. Even after a fresh install, I've connected two Android phones to my desktop PC, but they were both Motorola. A Droid Maxx, and a Droid Turbo 2. The latter is mostly stock Android, but it's not a Nexus. We do have a Nexus 7 tablet, and it's always a pain in the neck to connect it to anything.

If you've used multiple PCs and multiple cables, it's down to the phone. On the Motorola phones, they only charge by default, but when connected (you should see the charging icon, that means you're getting power over the USB cable), you should be able to choose a USB connectivity method. Charging only is the default. You would then set it to media transfer mode (MTP) and then it would show up. But, that's Motorola. Nexus might be different.

For getting files to/from an Android device, generally AirDroid is your best bet. It's a freemium app, it's free for the most part with a few premium features you should never actually need. It can be tricky for a novice to use (your father, I assume, probably not you) but fairly straightforward to use. It will let you transfer files over Wi-Fi. There are faster ways to transfer files, but if your phone is refusing the USB connection (as Nexus devices tend to do), it may be the best way. AirDroid is almost 100% certain to work for you. If it's photos you need to offload, Google Photos is the best for that. But I think that comes with a Nexus phone?

• 1 month later...

Another option is to switch the phone to XP-era CD emulation mode (which Windows 10 DOES support) - I wound up doing that to reinstall my recovery in my tablet - the recovery image was on my desktop.  (One monster advantage of this mode is that you can drag-and-drop in File Explorer.)

i wonder if a pin or 2 has come loose on the phone's usb port. i've had failing usb drives act similarly when their pins came loose.

is there any wiggle to the usb cord when you plug it into the phone?

I had a PSP Vita that would not show up to the computer as a USB device. After a few months, I decided to look inside the port and I saw crooked wires. I bent them back into place and BAM! Showed back up the computer and has been good ever since.