Two-factor turned on

I enabled it, but it isn't as fun as it sounds, you need to enable it in your account settings > security settings and then install the google authenticator app. 

The other option was to require a questions and answer challenge, which only Neowin can set, errrr (left that disabled).

Two-factor isn't required by default, and isn't for new registrations. Standard 2FA is available if you login with Facebook, Google or Microsoft account.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

I enabled it, but it isn't as fun as it sounds, you need to enable it in your account settings > security settings and then install the google authenticator app. 

The other option was to require a questions and answer challenge, which only Neowin can set, errrr (left that disabled).

Two-factor isn't required by default, and isn't for new registrations. Standard 2FA is available if you login with Facebook, Google or Microsoft account.

I used the Microsoft app kVmWm6g.gif

Well I never messed with my settings, apparently it was maybe just coincidence on the timing.

I had to dump cookies, and do a reboot before I could get back on the site with this computer.

(also changed back to google's DNS from NTT Data's - but that probably had nothing to do with it as it seems to have been a weird cookie thing)

One thing people have to be careful about when it comes to using the Google Authenticator app or other authentication apps is that if you factory reset your phone, break your phone or for whatever reason have to reinstall the authentication app all your codes are GONE! I would highly recommend that anyone who uses Google Authenticator install it on more than 1 device. If you only have 1 device I would recommend going to walmart and buy a $40 Moto E and install it on there too.

I'm aware you can use services like Authy but having all my two-factor codes in an online account kind of makes me feel uneasy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LimeMaster said:

Windows Mobile users are out of luck again. :laugh:

Good feature to have though.  Even if most people don't use it.

Why would they be out of luck? Microsoft Authenticator works fine on Windows Mobile.

7 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Why would they be out of luck? Microsoft Authenticator works fine on Windows Mobile.

The page claims "You will need to install the Google Authenticator app onto your smart phone. When we need you to verify your identify, you will enter the code shown in the app.".  So I assumed that was the only authenticator that worked on the forum. It's good to hear that is not the case.

Two users already have pointed out that you dont need Google Authenticator, probably the only reason it was mentioned is because it is the most commonly used one. An authenticator is an authenticator. 

9 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Two users already have pointed out that you dont need Google Authenticator, probably the only reason it was mentioned is because it is the most commonly used one. An authenticator is an authenticator. 

I feel the page should be updated to inform users that other authenticators can be used. It may be obvious to users such as yourself, but I don't think it's very clear at the moment.  Especially to those who are new to two-factor authentication.

39 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

I feel the page should be updated to inform users that other authenticators can be used. It may be obvious to users such as yourself, but I don't think it's very clear at the moment.  Especially to those who are new to two-factor authentication.

Very good point, LimeMaster, not all of us are that familiar with 2FA and any information provided/shared is helpful.

• Like 5

I vote that @warwagon helps me with any update to that page (if I can even edit it) :p Maybe I can link to the authenticator download pages too :)

And in case you don't even care, here's a kitten:

cutest-cat-gifs-kitten-meow.gif

5 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

I vote that @warwagon helps me with any update to that page (if I can even edit it) :p Maybe I can link to the authenticator download pages too :)

Good choice, Neobond!  He's a knowledgable man. :)

6 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Steven, you better hide your kitten or @The Evil Overlord will cook it in the microwave then eat it. 

:p 

• Like 4

It just needs to say:

"You will need to install a Google Authenticator compatible app onto your smart phone. When we need you to verify your identify, you will enter the code shown in the app."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steven P. said:

Sweet, sounds like fun!

cat_almost.gif

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Steven P. said:

Standard 2FA is available if you login with Facebook, Google or Microsoft account.

So there isn't any way for username and password auth, only if you use an OAUTH method?

8 hours ago, Joe User said:

I recommend using WinAuth as a backup to your phone's authentication software. It's full featured and open source.  https://winauth.com/

Thank you for posting about that app :) That would handy for those who don't even use a smart phone (or want one).