Microsoft Drops Windows 7/8.1 Support for AMD Ryzen & Intel Kaby Lake CPU & Lies About It - BUSTED!

Today Microsoft officially stated that it won't allow Windows Updates on Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 if you have an AMD Ryzen or Intel Kaby Lake or newer CPU. They claim the dropped support is for stability and reliability but I cut through the crap as an ex-Microsoft employee

30 minutes ago, Hey_Wtf said:

Today Microsoft officially stated that it won't allow Windows Updates on Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 if you have an AMD Ryzen or Intel Kaby Lake or newer CPU. They claim the dropped support is for stability and reliability but I cut through the crap as an ex-Microsoft employee

Actually MS didn't officially state anything. MS used to outsource their KB articles to a tech writing firm in the past and I doubt it has moved in-house since.

In addition, you would be surprised how often they get revised. The one in question is on revision 19 and reads like it was hastily released (in error maybe?) 

Source: myself, as I contributed to a couple of KB articles when XP first came out. 

Considering all of the above mentioned CPUs in the KB article are getting updates...I'd hardly say it's official. In case you are confused, this is what everyone is losing their minds over:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4012982/discusses-an-issue-in-which-you-receive-a-your-pc-uses-a-processor-tha

Edited by adrynalyne

8 hours ago, Danielx64 said:

So do you get the updates or not?

So far all I know is that there is the potential for them to, and they have a support page ready for it.

As far as anyone knows it hasn't happened yet.

http://techreport.com/news/31601/microsoft-may-block-updates-on-new-pcs-running-windows-7-or-8-1

Looks more like a guy advertising his youtube page.

YOU. TUBE. VIDEOS. ARE. NOT. PROPER. SOURCES.

(Especially ones with inflammatory headlines.) :)

30 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

YOU. TUBE. VIDEOS. ARE. NOT. PROPER. SOURCES.

(Especially ones with inflammatory headlines.) :)

It's new media chief, arguing against it is a waste of time, but they advertise their crap among a lot of people who just don't give a ######.

20 minutes ago, LostCat said:

It's new media chief, arguing against it is a waste of time, but they advertise their crap among a lot of people who just don't give a ######.

If Microsoft "officially stated" something, then there would be a slew of better sources to quote from, than a trollish YouTube video. 

Line in the videos description ... "Comes down to Windows 10 market share and spying, plain and simple."

Riiiiight.

Either way, it should be no surprise that newer hardware requires newer operating systems to run. Windows 7 is near EoL, and isn't being actively developed for anymore. It should be no surprise that Microsoft is going to push for Windows 10.  .

Also, this guy seemed to forget his tin foil hat.

Edited by Dot Matrix

What a load of tripe.

For one intel aint releasing chipset drivers for w7 and kabylake....period, so why would ms provide support that aint supported by the chip maker? 

Probs the same for amd....

20 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

Either way, it should be no surprise that newer hardware requires newer operating systems to run. Windows 7 is near EoL, and isn't being actively developed for anymore. It should be no surprise that Microsoft is going to push for Windows 10.  .

Also, this guy seemed to forget his tin foil hat.

Hey Dot if you want a good laugh on your lunch break you should see what the WIndows 7 users are reacting on slashdot

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/17/03/16/2047215/microsoft-locks-ryzen-kaby-lake-users-out-of-updates-on-windows-7-81

Wow I got modded -1 troll fast when I pointed out that the CPU does more than just math and has a whole suite of wifi, nvme, video, usb 3, etc that all require drivers to function in 2017. Apparently I made it up and MS is in a vast conspiracy to force change with INtel and AMD to take away aero and force commercials and spytware with 10 ... shakes head.

Worse, I would think these so called IT professionals would learn after the XP to 7 disaster many fortune 1000 companies who cried and waited until March 2014 to start the migration would be a little more proactive in trying to migrate ahead of time smoothly? Not try to fight and say with a smile how they plan on staying with Windows Windows 7 and a few with XP forever. Good lord 

I bought a Nexus 6P. Did I freak out that Android Jelly bean 2.2 from 2011 won't run on it? Do Apple users freak out that MacOSX snow leopard from 2009 or IOS 4 won't run on the latest macs? Only PC Windows users it seams.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sinetheo said:

Wow I got modded -1 troll fast when I pointed out that the CPU does more than just math and has a whole suite of wifi, nvme, video, usb 3, etc that all require drivers to function in 2017. Apparently I made it up and MS is in a vast conspiracy to force change with INtel and AMD to take away aero and force commercials and spytware with 10 ... shakes head.

I don't know how some of it works off the top of my head so I haven't wanted to mention that there's TPM 2.0 and AMD platform security processor built into Ryzen and Bristol Ridge (yes, it can still be turned on/off as desired) that might or might not be supported in 7 or 8.1, leaving opportunities for malware to muck about undetected.  I have no idea if Intel has similar tech, or how related it is.

12 minutes ago, LostCat said:

I don't know how some of it works off the top of my head so I haven't wanted to mention that there's TPM 2.0 and AMD platform security processor built into Ryzen and Bristol Ridge (yes, it can still be turned on/off as desired) that might or might not be supported in 7 or 8.1, leaving opportunities for malware to muck about undetected.  I have no idea if Intel has similar tech, or how related it is.

That was the conspiracy on slashdot. Basically Intel and the MPAA made an agreement with DRM with Netflx at 4K. Only intel has it for it's graphics if 4K Netflix is your thing. BUt TPM 2.0 I believe works in Haswell and later (maybe Skylake) via a special TPM chip.

29 minutes ago, sinetheo said:

That was the conspiracy on slashdot. Basically Intel and the MPAA made an agreement with DRM with Netflx at 4K. Only intel has it for it's graphics if 4K Netflix is your thing. BUt TPM 2.0 I believe works in Haswell and later (maybe Skylake) via a special TPM chip.

TPM works in most systems released in the last ten years via an external chip, I just meant I'm not sure if 7/8 have TPM 2.0 support (and it's internal with Ryzen.)