Breaking NEWS! Windows 10 Creators Update is coming to Windows Server 2016...

nekrosoft13    480

Another lazy copy and paste from Microsoft....

Capture.thumb.JPG.acf5495d7f314823a8a44a49144c1596.JPG

I'm sure at some point, Server will get update to 1703, but it shouldn't be called Windows 10 Creators Update.

Dot Matrix    7,177
1 hour ago, nekrosoft13 said:

I'm sure at some point, Server will get update to 1703, but it shouldn't be called Windows 10 Creators Update.

Then what should it be called? :huh:

PGHammer    270

Considering there is a LOT of common code between Windows 10 and Server 2016 (and has been between desktop Windows and Windows Server since Vista and 2003R2), I would, in fact, look at the KB referred to in specifics - that is, after all, what it's THERE for (kb.microsoft.com).  Sheesh.

nekrosoft13    480
4 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

umm, so you see nothing wrong with Windows 10 Creators update for Server 2016? 

So it should be called Windows Server 2016 Windows 10 Creators Update 1703?

And on a side note, another issue with that "statement" there is no Windows Insider Preview program build in Server 2016, so there is no way to "be the first to get it"

1 minute ago, PGHammer said:

Considering there is a LOT of common code between Windows 10 and Server 2016 (and has been between desktop Windows and Windows Server since Vista and 2003R2), I would, in fact, look at the KB referred to in specifics - that is, after all, what it's THERE for (kb.microsoft.com).  Sheesh.

per KB

Applies to

Windows 10, Windows 8.1 Enterprise, Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 8.1, Windows 8 Enterprise, Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8, Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Home Basic, Windows 7 Starter

Why is this update being pushed out to Server 2016? 

Dot Matrix    7,177

Did you read the description?

"This update provides the latest set of definitions for compatibility diagnostics that are performed on the system. The updated definitions will help enable Microsoft and its partners to ensure compatibility for all customers who want to install the latest Windows operating system. Installing this update also makes sure that the latest Windows operating system version is correctly offered through Windows Update, based on compatibility results. 

This update may not be offered concurrently to all platforms. It will be available only to platforms for which there are new definitions available."

Like PGHammer said, there is a lot of shared code between the two.

nekrosoft13    480
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

Did you read the description?

"This update provides the latest set of definitions for compatibility diagnostics that are performed on the system. The updated definitions will help enable Microsoft and its partners to ensure compatibility for all customers who want to install the latest Windows operating system. Installing this update also makes sure that the latest Windows operating system version is correctly offered through Windows Update, based on compatibility results. 

This update may not be offered concurrently to all platforms. It will be available only to platforms for which there are new definitions available."

Like PGHammer said, there is a lot of shared code between the two.

keep reading

Applies to

Windows 10, Windows 8.1 Enterprise, Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 8.1, Windows 8 Enterprise, Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8, Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Home Basic, Windows 7 Starter

And speaking of "latest Windows operating system version is correctly offered through Windows Update"

It can't even do that, 

1) clicking the "show me how" link, talks about enabling Windows Insider Preview, Server 2016 doesn't have Insider Preview in it

2) Article it links to, is only applies to Windows 10

3) There will be no "windows 10 creators update" for Server, the update is simply called Server 2016 version 1703

Its another dumb windows update blunder from MS.

Edited by nekrosoft13

Dot Matrix    7,177
57 minutes ago, nekrosoft13 said:

Its another dumb windows update blunder from MS.

I think you're picking at straws. 

shockz    3,095
1 hour ago, Dot Matrix said:

Whatever the update to Server 2016 will be called? I don't think Server 2016 is going to be called Server 2016 Windows 10 Creators Update? I'm actually surprised that Server 2016 would get any 1703 revisions. I'd expect an R2 version sometime next year or the year after.

TPreston    5,388

I would almost preform human sacrifice at this point to get the minimal server gui back aswell as the ability to switch between guis.