On 8/31/2017 at 6:20 PM, trag3dy said:

I guess if you're okay with playing at 30 fps.

And what the heck is WRONG with 30 fps?  And especially given that most PC owners - let alone most gamers - don't get there in most MMOs - let alone most modern games - without being spendy?  What worried me about what is basically a console port (while it may not technically be one; however, the original Destiny was not written for the PC) was the very real possibility that it would be aimed too high as far as PC gamers went - and especially given the developer's stated PC target platform, requirements.  Wasn't that, in fact, the very sin that the original Crysis committed?  It actually IS nice to see that Bungie still knows how to actually write a solid game that mainstream PC gamers can actually play without breaking their wallets.

18 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

And what the heck is WRONG with 30 fps?

Aside from the fluidity, framerate is linked with reaction times. A higher framerate allows one to "see more" during each second, improving how quickly the player reacts against enemies (AI or humans).

30 fps are not that good when it comes to first-person shooters because they tend to be quite frenetic and therefore require fast reaction times. They are fine with other types of slower games.

Low end here. GTX 560 and it ran fine with auto detect settings, all I did was turn Vsync off and turned render resolution to 100% and the framerate was smooth, better than console's 30 fps version.  Remember that the game engine was designed for PS3 and X360 so 30 fps is fine for this game in PvE mode since the action is slow, enemies move slow and most shoot projectiles at you so you don't have to worry about hitscan weapons. 

PvP is too fast for 30 fps and you also have to deal with peer to peer connections which seems like a hit or miss when I played with the miss being worst than the crap on console during the first Destiny. 

Edited by Doli

Still, higher frame rates (even at 1080p) are not exactly an easy row to hoe; doing it at even higher resolutions DOES get spendy - hence my setting the target lower for us ordinary folks.  I don't begrudge the 4K folks their spendy setups; however, I realize that most folks can't go there.  Like it or not, the majority are folks like me - the non-spendy.  My worry was that Bungie would aim too tall - fortunately, they didn't.

8 hours ago, PGHammer said:

And what the heck is WRONG with 30 fps?  And especially given that most PC owners - let alone most gamers - don't get there in most MMOs - let alone most modern games - without being spendy?  What worried me about what is basically a console port (while it may not technically be one; however, the original Destiny was not written for the PC) was the very real possibility that it would be aimed too high as far as PC gamers went - and especially given the developer's stated PC target platform, requirements.  Wasn't that, in fact, the very sin that the original Crysis committed?  It actually IS nice to see that Bungie still knows how to actually write a solid game that mainstream PC gamers can actually play without breaking their wallets.

There's nothing wrong with gaming at 30 fps if that's the best you can do but it's not 60 fps or better yet 144 fps.

And I don't care about other gamers, I care about myself and that's why I invested in a gaming pc.

Awesome.  I've only gotten about three hours in so far but awesome.  So much better looking on the X1 (as are other recent games) than I had come to expect.

I guess, though, err....was there even a character creator?  Did I miss something?  Eh, I'll live, but that was odd.

Edited by dwLostCat

Is it true that after you lose your light and all abilities in the intro mission you get it back in the next mission? That doesn't feel like a struggle at all if true.

25 minutes ago, Doli said:

Is it true that after you lose your light and all abilities in the intro mission you get it back in the next mission? That doesn't feel like a struggle at all if true.

You do get it back after travelling a while.  I'd rather not be more specific.

This game is pretty friggin awesome.  I'm digging everything so far.

(As to my earlier comment there is a character creator, but it brings your characters in from the first game as level 1s and you can delete them if you wish.)

11 hours ago, Doli said:

Kind of, but at least the way it happens is something that makes sense in the context of the lore surrounding the Collapse.

If this was a 100% story driven, offline single player game, it would make sense that they had expanded on that part, but on Destiny2 that's pretty much an introduction/tutorial for the actual game.

I've been playing way too much Destiny before this and I just didn't expect 2 to be this good.  Some of the vehicle handling could be less confusing, but otherwise I love everything about it.  =)

Rawr.  I have no idea how far I am in the story but just workin up my third character subclass.  I'm sure I'll get to starting up a warlock and hunter eventually as well.

Unfortunately, after the mess they made with stripping the story out of Destiny 1 and retconning it back into the game via DLC, I've lost a lot of the interest I once had for the series. The gunplay etc is great as usual from Bungie, but it was a hollow game when I first bought it and I won't reward them with DLC "abuse".

If I ever pick up Destiny 2, it will be once they release the "Complete Edition" and it drops in price. The early signs of micro-transactions don't fill me with confidence anyway, so I'll be happy to sit this one out for now.

Yes it is cosmetic, as skins are in many other games which offer customization options. This is an ongoing debate in the community that something you've paid for is then locked behind further paywalls. It's not excusable IMO regardless of what the content does. You've already paid for it.

I do not buy their excuse that the player will eventually be "flush" in shaders either. The reason they are consumable is to limit them, prey upon gamer's impatience and have gamers pay for them instead to get what they want specifically, like the old game allowed.

26 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Yes it is cosmetic, as skins are in many other games which offer customization options. This is an ongoing debate in the community that something you've paid for is then locked behind further paywalls. It's not excusable IMO regardless of what the content does. You've already paid for it.

I do not buy their excuse that the player will eventually be "flush" in shaders either. The reason they are consumable is to limit them, prey upon gamer's impatience and have gamers pay for them instead to get what they want specifically, like the old game allowed.

I've already got tons of them without paying, and I think the problem is only a problem if you really want it to be.  I mean, if you really want to be mad about stuff I'm sure there're more important things out there.

This way makes you experiment a bit more instead of always sticking with the same colors, so IMO it's kind of cool once you figure it out.

1 minute ago, dwLostCat said:

I've already got tons of them, and I think the problem is only a problem if you really want it to be.  I mean, if you really want to be mad about stuff I'm sure there're more important things out there.

This way makes you experiment a bit more instead of always sticking with the same colors, so IMO it's kind of cool once you figure it out.

I'm not mad about it, I just don't condone or support it. Like I say, I may still buy the game eventually once a "complete" edition releases, but I won't be rewarding their mistakes and IMO bad practices.

Life is too short to get mad over gaming, let alone micro-transactions :yes:

52 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Unfortunately, after the mess they made with stripping the story out of Destiny 1 and retconning it back into the game via DLC, I've lost a lot of the interest I once had for the series. The gunplay etc is great as usual from Bungie, but it was a hollow game when I first bought it and I won't reward them with DLC "abuse".

If I ever pick up Destiny 2, it will be once they release the "Complete Edition" and it drops in price. The early signs of micro-transactions don't fill me with confidence anyway, so I'll be happy to sit this one out for now.

You and me both, I have been burned once too often on that game to even consider giving them any more of my hard earned money.

(In my humble opinion, they had the makings of a great franchise, but decided to let greed get in the way)

I'll be rewarding their excellent content, either way.

I can't really say what Destiny 1 was really like before Taken King since I got it about a week before that launched, but I certainly saw all the complaints.  Didn't really affect me at that point though.

I just finished the story, and I noticed some plot holes and nonsensical annoyances in there:

Spoiler

- Right from the beginning you are literally kicked out of a Cabal ship, with no light powers, and yet you don't die. This isn't as much a plot hole as something a bit ridiculous that I have a hard time buying in the context of the Destiny universe.

- Just a little bit after the beginning you regain your light powers by traveling to the Traveler pieces in the Dead Zone. You then go seek the three main guardians (Zavala, Ikora and Cayde-6), to which you (well, not actually you, more on that later) tell you have regained the light yet not how. And what's actually surprising and the biggest plot hole in the story is that also no one asks, ever.

I mean, there's no reason whatsoever (none explained anyway) why every other guardian (or at least those three) could just do the same thing as you did.

Ok, maybe they didn't have that vision, stuff about "chosen one", and whatever, but still it doesn't seem to be any compelling explanation and only seems to serve the script for the sake of the script having to be that way.

- Your character still doesn't talk, and all the talking is being done by the ghost. The main character not talking is something that happens ofter in other games, but what's weird about Destiny2 is that your ghost is the only ghost taking in the whole game. Actually, other than a brief appearance of Cayde-6's, it would seem that yours is the only ghost that exists around.

All in all, though, I'm liking the game a lot, but those issues irk me not because they are major flaws but because they could have been easily solved.

One minor detail that I liked on the development of the story is that

Spoiler

The Speaker finally acknowledges that he has been bullshitting us, and that The Traveler wasn't talking to him or through him. He only claimed to speak on his behalf, but he was just making up stuff.

Religion :laugh:

It's a bit of a slap on Destiny1's too much mistery around mistery, which also aligns with Destiny2's much more honest approach to storytelling.

This is also fostered by the notable absence of the other two pieces of Destiny1's vacuous obfuscation: The Stranger and Eris (although I guess at the very least Eris will eventually show up, maybe even both).

That said, I kinda miss the feeling of mystery building up in Destiny1, but if they are unable or unwilling to build it on top of something substantial instead of it all being an empty shell, I'll rather prefer they stick to straight forward military action as they have so far in this second installment.

Spoiler

Also, I hope the post-credits cinematic implies we'll be getting something entirely new. The fresh start with no inventory and new (well, not new but at least slightly reworked) subclasses is OK, but the game needs some kind of paradigm shift to progress further from the same old struggle with the same four alien races.

The Taken was fine, the siva fallen was not as fine although still something... but I don't think yet another slight variations of the same enemies will cut it for much longer.

It was amazingly fun.  I'm not really done with the game but I can't think of anything I still need to do in it, except for some of the weapon quests I picked up (and I think some more quests on Io.)  One of them requires me to find an exotic engram so might take a while. o.o

I suspect your point 3 hope refers to the third game and not the expansions, but we shall see.  Could be a much later expansion like TTK/RoI.

I think I'm mostly moving on to Reddit for talking about this game though.  And probably most games really.  We shall see.

(Have a link, just for the hell of it.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/6zexbk/destiny_2_microtransaction_controversy_was_way/

Edited by dwLostCat

43 minutes ago, dwLostCat said:

I suspect your point 3 hope refers to the third game and not the expansions, but we shall see.  Could be a much later expansion like TTK/RoI.

Realistically they'll probably keep that card for Destiny3, which would be disappointing. We would be talking about a cliffhanger for about 3 years during which we would barely get any actually new stuff.

The next Mercury DLC might be OK. Even if it's still about the Vex again, Mercury is part of the lore already so they could pull a decent story for that expansion.

There's only so much you can do with pretty much the same setting we had in Destiny1 for 3 years already... new bosses for the already existing races? We have gone over that already with Crota -> Oryx, and I don't think they'll be introducing another different Taken race, maybe a Siva-ish one at best.

Oryx sisters, maybe? Yet another Fallen Kell? A new supersized Vex hydra that's somehow more important than the other supersized Vex hydras?

The Nine could make for some interesting plot, as we know pretty much nothing about them, but it looks like they are being repurposed as the new Osiris Trials now that Osiris will be part of a DLC, so there's no chance there'll be anything substantial on that front during Destiny2.

Bungie made a decent setup for rebooting Destiny's mechanics with more polished storytelling, but now that they have scrapped the concept of "Darkness" they need to define some kind of overarching plot and some progress through it rather than keeping everthing on hold for another 3 years.

1 hour ago, dwLostCat said:

It was amazingly fun.  I'm not really done with the game but I can't think of anything I still need to do in it, except for some of the weapon quests I picked up.  One of them requires me to find an exotic engram so might take a while. o.o

I think I'm mostly moving on to Reddit for talking about this game though.  And probably most games really.  We shall see.

(Have a link, just for the hell of it.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/6zexbk/destiny_2_microtransaction_controversy_was_way/

You already maxed out your level and light? I didn't know there was an ending to Destiny.

I said I wouldn't get it after D1. Got it on Friday and I've managed to put 11 hours into it haha.

I really like it, story is good so far.

2 minutes ago, John. said:

I said I wouldn't get it after D1. Got it on Friday and I've managed to put 11 hours into it haha.

I really like it, story is good so far.

I can't get D2. I spent 1560hrs on D1, played since it came out to around Oct 2015.

If I get D2, I can say bye to my social life again, lol.

14 hours ago, Dinggus said:

You already maxed out your level and light? I didn't know there was an ending to Destiny.

I really don't care about maxing out my light...that's a non issue to me.  I did all the story and subquests (still working on the weapon quests, but not that interested if they require crucible or raids) and all I've got left is more strikes.  And eventually loading up other characters.

For now, seems like a good place to take a break.

I'm at about 273 for the Raid :) Maybe more tonight...

Thankfully, Luke Smith has said the Raid will require between 260-280 Power - so most of us are raid ready now :)

Loving the game. Feels so much nicer than D1, which I loved. Deffo needs more PvP maps. Story felt like it kept going on and on, so running multiple chars is always a chore lol 

Some people are level 300! Multiple same characters... that's too grindy. At least they can do the Prestige Nightfall lol

Looking forward to the PC version dropping :D