Destiny 2 has the best UK physical launch sales of 2017 so far – but also sells less than half of its predecessor

By Alex Donaldson, Monday, 11 September 2017 10:30 GMT

Destiny 2’s sales point to a continuing and strengthening trend around physical game sales in general.

The week one physical sales figures for Destiny 2 in the UK are in – and it’s the biggest-selling week one launch of any game so far this year. On the flip side these numbers are significantly less than the original Destiny, with the sequel selling less than half that which its predecessor did at retail.

Figures leaked to NeoGAF by a previously reliable UK chart source peg the game as selling 175,000 physical copies during its first week. The original Destiny sold 417,000.

Continues...

Also...

Destiny 2 servers down for four hours today

By Tom Phillips Published 12/09/2017

Bungie will take Destiny 2 offline for four hours today while it conducts its first round of live maintenance on the game.

My first impressions of this game are pretty damn positive.  The story (yes there is one this time) was pretty good and had me wanting to find out what would happen next. The changes to public events are pretty good, not as big a jump forward that I'd have liked but a positive step.

Looking forward to getting Raid ready and running that but for now, I'm happy being back in the normal Destiny Grind.

Anyone beat the raid yet?

I've had barely any time to game recently so I've not really got to a raid-ready level but hoping to give it a shot next week.

Also anyone in the Europe Timezone on Xbox who's looking for a clan, let me know :D

We reached the second raid checkpoint yesterday (not counting the initial puzzle to access each of the areas), took us quite a while with a squad ranging from 270 to 290.

I don't want to watch videos of the other areas ahead, but so far it seems to be a quite puzzle heavy raid.

On 16/09/2017 at 4:40 PM, ichi said:

We reached the second raid checkpoint yesterday (not counting the initial puzzle to access each of the areas), took us quite a while with a squad ranging from 270 to 290.

I don't want to watch videos of the other areas ahead, but so far it seems to be a quite puzzle heavy raid.

That's the best way IMO, unfortunately, I haven;t had a lot of time to play since release and my normal raid buddies got a team together and had already done most so I figured I might as well just give in and catch up with how it plays. I've only managed to get to 268 and I'm joining tomorrow night to try it out so hopefully those LL's won't make it too difficult.

• 1 month later...

Curse of Osiris drops Dec 5th

"Curse of Osiris is Destiny 2's first expansion and sends you back to the stars to solve a new mystery. The Vex are on the march, and our only hope to stop them may lie with Osiris, the notorious heretic and most powerful Warlock in the history of the Last City. On your quest to find him, you'll meet new characters, explore new places, tackle new challenges, and earn some sweet new loot.

"Curse of Osiris adds a new chapter to the world of Destiny 2, expanding the universe by adding an all-new cinematic story with new and returning characters, a new destination to explore, Mercury and its Infinite Forest, a new social space to visit called the Lighthouse, new missions, new strikes, new raid content, new free roam activities, a world quest to complete, and more."

Secret Sauce

• 2 weeks later...

Destiny 2 will be getting a 4K boost for both PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. On the PlayStation the resolution will be dynamic and on the Xbox it'll be locked at 4K

Source

6 hours ago, dipsylalapo said:

Destiny 2 will be getting a 4K boost for both PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. On the PlayStation the resolution will be dynamic and on the Xbox it'll be locked at 4K

Source

6 hours ago, dipsylalapo said:

Source

I think ps4 pro already has that, but they’re changing it to dynamic for perf reasons.  I can’t wait for the expansion too, finally burned out on the main game.

• 2 months later...

Good thing I didn't buy the season pass and could read feedback on the DLC before buying, this game seems to be going downhill fast.

My clan has gone from raiding every single day to almost no one even playing at all.

Just now, ichi said:

Good thing I didn't buy the season pass and could get feedback on the DLC before buying, this game seems to be going downhill fast.

My clan has gone from raiding every single day to almost no one even playing at all.

My clan hasn't raided since before OoS was released. They never play at all. So i've not even tried the raid lairs...  or Nightfalls... 

Bungie have destroyed Destiny.

16 minutes ago, WildWayz said:

My clan hasn't raided since before OoS was released. They never play at all. So i've not even tried the raid lairs...  or Nightfalls... 

Bungie have destroyed Destiny.

Pretty much. The live team is in damage control now, but the proposed changes are so far not very specific and also for the most part planned for the second half of the year, so I don't think they'll even matter.

Good thing that we have Monster Hunter World this week to scratch the looter itch.

Just now, ichi said:

Pretty much. The live team is in damage control now, but the proposed changes are so far not very specific and also for the most part planned for the second half of the year, so I don't think they'll even matter.

Good thing that we have Monster Hunter World this week to scratch the looter itch.

I don't know about MHW - tried the beta over the weekend and it didn't jump out at me... maybe I wasn't "getting it". 

1 minute ago, WildWayz said:

I don't know about MHW - tried the beta over the weekend and it didn't jump out at me... maybe I wasn't "getting it". 

To be honest I didn't particularly like the beta either, although it's missing the looting part which is the whole point of the game.

I've probably spent more hours in the Monster Hunter series than on any other game, but it's a kind of game that I only enjoy playing with friends. 

Is it similar to any other kinda game? All I got the impression of, was that you take a quest... hunt the monster... kill it...

Or is there more?

Dragon's Dogma is basically a "low-rent" version of Monster Hunter, but its not really low-rent because I'm super tired and can't think of the right word sorry lol but yes, its basically get quest go out into the world to track the monster then kill it for its parts/hides/scales/etc to then craft bigger and better armor and weapons and all that. I'm sure there's probably more, but I've never played a MH game and MHW will be my first one on PC.

As for Destiny 2 - on PC I'm always seeing loads of people in the Tower space and decent amounts of players running around the different planets etc, though PVP is a bit leaner but PVP isn't my bag anyways so eh. I'm sure there's been a massive drop off lately over all this bologna going on with the game, but outwardly it looks OK so far. Though I'm sure Bungie is probably in panic mode by this point regardless.

53 minutes ago, WildWayz said:

Is it similar to any other kinda game? All I got the impression of, was that you take a quest... hunt the monster... kill it...

Or is there more?

Basically yes, you take quests to kill or capture monsters, but you also need to do resource gathering to build traps, ammunition (if you use ballistas), healing items, pickaxes and nets for gathering, etc... and plan what you'll be carrying to be able to build more on the go if necessary.

Killing or capturing monsters provide resource drops that you need to build new weapons and armor, and then to improve the stats of those through the weapon evolution trees, where you can choose between several different branches depending on what kind of weapon you want to finally get.

You also need to explore the maps to find where to gather rare resources that are also required for weapons and armor.

The beta is very limited in that aspect because you can't build anything, whatever you collect from the monsters or the map is irrelevant (and therefore it doesn't matter if you manage to break some of it's parts or not, to get access to specific drops) and you get an inventory chock-full of every single thing you might need and then some.

MH games typically have some kind of "plot" where there's a particular monster that poses a particular treat for the village, and as you progress through the missions you get some info about why that monster has appeared, but it's a rather vague feature. It seems that on MHW this part of the game is expanded a bit, with more NPC interactions and I'd guess a bit more of relevance of the "story" in the quests you get.

Still not your average campaign thing, but more a background setting.

• Like 2

Yeah ichi kinda explained it better than me. As I said I never played one (because it was console and handheld exclusive, obviously) before until MHW for PC. But I am super excited for it, even though that style game isn't really my thing. Though I do play Riders of Icarus which is a sorta similar MMORPG.

• 7 months later...

Welp, after Curse of Osiris was kind of underwhelming but Warmind was really good I'm looking forward to Forsaken.

Gambit looks cool and might finally get me into PvP.

I'm not sure about the PvE section yet from what I've read about it, but after Warmind I'm not too worried....should be good stuff.