Americans in Poverty

Nothing like exercising those Admin rights then stepping into the very muck you just chastised simple because you disagree with someone :x

Please look at this dispute in this light:

If you told the truth of your own and got a disparaging response, what would you think? You might naturally feel that was an insult, and take self-defence against it. So take it easy, mate.

In this thread, personally, I've not seen that Blaise has misused the rights of a mod. He just argued with the other as a member of Neowin.

Thanks SD & JB

@ adonai: I did not "step into any muck I had just chastised"

I said to stop namecalling ie: asswipes etc and then made an observation of fact, that fact being that hiro was offering nothing intelligent to the converstaion.

Not an insult, merely an observation of reality and I took no action adnoai; other than calling for an end to namecalling, nobody recieved a warning etc.

Just like I did not remove your post and replace it with a quote from the rules about arguing mod actions ;)

Thank you for your kind attention :)

what needs to be done about the "working poor" is they need to learn an actual skill that will facilitate them getting a better job and quit crying to the government because the only skill they have is running a cash register.

Do you think everyone in America can become the CEO of a multinational corporation if really "work hard?" Everyone can run and control their own business. (I wish) What can you say about the families where the mother and father work 3 or more jobs to get by? Are they bums, leechers, or losers? It takes money to make money, how are they going to pay for schooling to learn the skills in order to get a higher paying job? Have their kids drop out of school in order to pay bills?

Is their a relation between the rich and the poor? Or just an unfortunate problem for the poor, where we can say it's their fault they have to live paycheck to paycheck (or not.) Blaming the victim is too easy.

Do you think everyone in America can become the CEO of a multinational corporation if really "work hard?" Everyone can run and control their own business. (I wish) What can you say about the families where the mother and father work 3 or more jobs to get by? Are they bums, leechers, or losers? It takes money to make money, how are they going to pay for schooling to learn the skills in order to get a higher paying job? Have their kids drop out of school in order to pay bills?

Is their a relation between the rich and the poor? Or just an unfortunate problem for the poor, where we can say it's their fault they have to live paycheck to paycheck (or not.) Blaming the victim is too easy.

This made me think of something. I give about 4 IQ tests a day as part of my job. The fact is, many, many peopel are NOT CAPABLE of earning a lot of money. Some people actaully have a hrd time counting money, rembering more than one thing at a time, it's not always laziness - sometimes it is truly intellectual limitations. Are some homeless bums, sure there are. But many of the poor are poor because they are unable to earn more. Just something I have personally observed. You would be amazed at the low level of cognitive functioning many of these folks have. An Average IQ is 100, the average IQ of my clients is about 65, whcih classifies them in the Extremely Low Functioning range (ie, mildy mentally retarded).

For example from today:

Interpretation of WAIS-III Results

WAIS General Intellectual Ability

Kimberly was administered 12 subtests of the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale-Third Edition (WAIS-III) from which her IQ and Index scores were derived. The Full Scale IQ is the aggregate of the Verbal and Performance scores and is usually considered to be the most representative measure of g, or global intellectual functioning. Kimberly's general cognitive ability is in the Extremely Low range of intellectual functioning, as measured by the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale -Third Edition (WAIS-III). Her overall thinking and reasoning abilities exceed those of approximately 0.1% of adults her age (FSIQ = 55; 95% Confidence Interval = 52-60).Kimberly may experience great difficulty in keeping up with her peers in a wide variety of situations that require age appropriate thinking and reasoning abilitie

The problems with the status of the health system can be attributed to two things.

First and foremost is the cost of malpractice insurance for doctors which is often into the millions of dollars a year. This is mainly caused by unlimited liability, greedy lawyers and ignorant juries. There is something wrong when a law firm organizes a class action lawsuit and takes 60% of winnings effectively charging hundreds of dollars an hour. We need to limit law firms charging only their hourly rate plus a perdiam and reasonable expenses and aggressively prosecuting fraud. Also malpractice lawsuits should be capped at lawyer fees plus medical bills plus current earning power with inflation and a standard raise schedule paid yearly. Also why do we have juries made of uneducated people for an often very technical case, I feel the juries should be made at least up of medical professionals who know what is being talked about and who might be able to look at the facts and not just the outcome.

Secondly, the cost of medicine is a big problem but I feel it is mainly due to the governments strict regulation, I feel it should be treated like meat. We have our Grade A meds (those we can take now) all the way to our Grade F meds (no tested, they might work and might kill) and let people and doctors choose instead of saying you eat fillet minion or nothing.

Finally I think people expect to live to darn long, we used to die of cancer, not get hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of treatment then die. Where does it say we have to spend all of that money, I know it sounds cruel but sometimes death is the best decision.

Do you think everyone in America can become the CEO of a multinational corporation if really "work hard?"  Everyone can run and control their own business. (I wish) What can you say about the families where the mother and father work 3 or more jobs to get by?  Are they bums, leechers, or losers?  It takes money to make money, how are they going to pay for schooling to learn the skills in order to get a higher paying job?  Have their kids drop out of school in order to pay bills?

Is their a relation between the rich and the poor?  Or just an unfortunate problem for the poor, where we can say it's their fault they have to  live paycheck to paycheck (or not.)  Blaming the victim is too easy.

to add to this.. some familes may be recent immigrants to your/the country and though qualified for very respectable positions in society, cannot make it through because of a language barrier. now this may or may not occured more often in the past (assuming more and more immigrants can speak english these days), it might still be happening to some. i certainly wouldn't call these people bums either just because they settled for a job that is less than satisfactory, to support their family and cannot afford to pay for medical or dental bills.

my dad is a good example of this. graduated from beijing(peking?) university, having a degree in engineering (mining) but left to canada to seek better social standards and better living. ontop of this having a child (my deceased brother) with a disability and caring for him for the 23 short years of his life. imagine if there was no healthcare to help us out, the medical bills and supplies needed would drive us to literally become bums. thanks to my fathers sacrifice, coming to canada and taking a labour job that he is extremly over qualified for to have a better life for his children, and thanks to our healthcare system otherwise i dont know what position we would be in.

so again, just because people cant afford their medical bills for whatever reasons dont make them bums.

offtopic: JohnsonBox's english has improved so much, congrats.

I want to clear up that I wasn't attacking anyone, I was just raising questions. There seems to be a misconception that the government is handing out free healthcare (and welfare) to anyone that signs up for it. Low income single mothers are the biggest "leechers" of welfare and their survival depends on government help. Truth is, the government dosen't give hand outs to everyone.