[Suggestion] Email's for expiring Subscription

I understand Neowin wants to retain subscribers in order to keep the doors open, however, I have a suggestion.  For the last week, I have received an email letting me know my sub is about to expire, every single day. This is annoying and you should have an option to OPT out if I do not plan on renewing, or have the duration in-between be more than 24 hours. I wouldn't mind receiving daily emails the last two maybe three days before it expires, but as it is right now I feel there are to many being sent out.

One other thing that would be nice is if there was some way for you to either not send the expiring notice or else indicate in the notice that we're using a recurring payment. I had forgotten\ didn't realise and after receiving a few reminders followed the link to re-subscribe, only to have paypal send an auto-resubscription for me about 4 hours later. Not sure if you have that information.

I honestly didn't remember I had set it to auto-resubscribe, or even how I did that in the first place.

14 hours ago, illumination said:

One other thing that would be nice is if there was some way for you to either not send the expiring notice or else indicate in the notice that we're using a recurring payment. I had forgotten\ didn't realise and after receiving a few reminders followed the link to re-subscribe, only to have paypal send an auto-resubscription for me about 4 hours later. Not sure if you have that information.

I honestly didn't remember I had set it to auto-resubscribe, or even how I did that in the first place.

Ugh yeah.. Thing is, the auto-resub was an option for the subscription manager in IPB 2, so years ago! I actually disabled it at some point and after we upgraded to IPB 3 we used a "modded" version of the subscription manager (since the official one by IPB stopped getting updated or support) and that didn't have a working option for disabling auto-renew.

So in short, any subscriber who ever had auto-renew set, did this years and years ago and we don't have an option to disable this. The current manager (built by Neowin) doesn't have an auto-renew option, we're instead relying on reminders.

Since you ran into this issue, I just want to also say thanks for your continued support of Neowin :) 

PS: Subbing with auto-renew (PayPal) might interfere with out own subscriber manager, if your sub gets expired on the cut-off date, pls PM me to reinstate it, But in any case you should cancel auto-renew to avoid issues next time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steven P. said:

Ugh yeah.. Thing is, the auto-resub was an option for the subscription manager in IPB 2, so years ago! I actually disabled it at some point and after we upgraded to IPB 3 we used a "modded" version of the subscription manager (since the official one by IPB stopped getting updated or support) and that didn't have a working option for disabling auto-renew.

So in short, any subscriber who ever had auto-renew set, did this years and years ago and we don't have an option to disable this. The current manager (built by Neowin) doesn't have an auto-renew option, we're instead relying on reminders.

Since you ran into this issue, I just want to also say thanks for your continued support of Neowin :) 

PS: Subbing with auto-renew (PayPal) might interfere with out own subscriber manager, if your sub gets expired on the cut-off date, pls PM me to reinstate it, But in any case you should cancel auto-renew to avoid issues next time.

Oh, ok, that makes sense. I have cancelled the recurring payment and will manually subscribe next time. I think I should be good for this subscription cycle as I also did a manual payment following the link in the expiry email.

You're welcome for the support. I've spent many hours on Neowin, so thanks for running it!

• Like 2