Joe Belfiore back at Microsoft

Grow the Microsoft Edge browser, expand Windows 10 and keep building cool devices. That’s was Microsoft’s Joe Belfiore’s job before he stepped away from Microsoft in October of 2015, and that’s pretty much his job today, with a few crucial enhancements. The difference, though, is what Belfiore learned during his months-long sabbatical.

Belfiore being attached to the same goals makes sense since Windows, Edge and devices remain central to the Microsoft success story. Windows 10, now two years in market, has 400 million installs and is generally well-regarded. As of Tuesday, we were on our second major update (Windows Creators Update). Microsoft Edge gets a significant refresh in this version of Windows 10, but, according to NetMarketShare, it has just 5% of the desktop browser market, trailing behind the browser it ostensibly replaced, Internet Explorer 11, and Google Chrome, which has almost 40%. 

Belfiore has his work cut out for him.

More: http://mashable.com/2017/04/11/belfiore-on-his-return-to-microsoft/?utm_cid=hp-n-1#V75vMKlydsqb

Welcome back, Joe! Here's hoping you can rescue Edge, and bring back Windows Phone/Lumia from the brink!

12 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

There's no rescuing Edge from being behind Internet Explorer... That's beyond dead, that is! :p

They were even dumb enough to make the icon an E ...I think confusion runs in their blood. It's a support nightmare... Click on the E ..err the other E .... the solid blue E is not Internet Explorer it's EDGE ... it's completely different and the other blue E is internet explorer

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, warwagon said:

They were even dumb enough to make the icon an E ...I think confusion runs in their blood. It's a support nightmare... Click on the E ..err the other E .... the solid blue E is not Internet Explorer it's EDGE ... it's completely different and the other blue E is internet explorer

Couldn't agree more. Edge was dead on arrival due to 2 things. One is no ad-blocking addons at launch and the fact that the icon is an "e". They should have been doing everything in their power to distance themselves from IE by calling it something else. Hell they could have kept its code name Spartan and made the icon an S. It would be doing significantly better right now. What they essentially did by calling it Edge and keeping the icon an "e" is like calling Windows 10 Vista II or something else with Vista in the name (for the record I had zero issues with Vista).

42 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Why would they need to drastically alter the icon? To many, the blue 'e' means the Internet.

3 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

Why would they need to drastically alter the icon? To many, the blue 'e' means the Internet.

To most, a blue E means Internet Explorer. A lot of people think "They are using Internet Explorer" when in fact they are using Edge because they clicked the blue E. Which is ok, unless you have to give them phone support and them telling you they are in Internet explorer when they are actually in edge, conflicts with the instructions you are giving them. 

12 hours ago, warwagon said:

To most, a blue E means Internet Explorer. A lot of people think "They are using Internet Explorer" when in fact they are using Edge because they clicked the blue E. Which is ok, unless you have to give them phone support and them telling you they are in Internet explorer when they are actually in edge, conflicts with the instructions you are giving them. 

indeed, even I received few phone calls that Internet Explorer is not working on few sites that it worked before. When I asked which OS they were using, it was Windows 10 and Edge was the culprit. had to explain how to find iexplore.exe and pin to taskbar.

2 hours ago, Yogurth said:

indeed, even I received few phone calls that Internet Explorer is not working on few sites that it worked before. When I asked which OS they were using, it was Windows 10 and Edge was the culprit. had to explain how to find iexplore.exe and pin to taskbar.

Or search for "Internet Explorer" in the start menu ;) ... then right click " to taskbar"