Camera question for all Android smartphone (of any age) owners

When you tap somewhere in the Camera app in iOS, since the early days, it adjusted focus and exposure.

I've owned the Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, S5, S6 and S7 and the camera apps they shipped with have never adjusted exposure when you tap.

The amount of times I've tried to take photos of something outdoors (or in, in fact) but the object is too dark due to the background (and HDR doesn't fix it, before anyone jumps in with that) is simply frustrating.

I've also tried Google Camera and Open Camera on my S7, neither of those adjust exposure upon tapping by default (if at all), either.

To me, it makes the camera on my Galaxy phones really frustrating to use and always has.

I've now heard the Galaxy S8 still doesn't fix this big problem.

Anyway, does your Android smartphone's camera app adjust focus and exposure when you tap?

Let us know what phone you have.

EDIT: I've been told 2016's Moto G4 offers the feature. So it seems Motorola phones do it? :)

Edited by Elliot B.
  • Like 1

Seems like a very picky feature especially since the highest end Android flagships have a better camera than any iOS device (imo). For the record, Nexus 6P doesn't have it on 7.1.2 using Google Camera. 

Actually I take it back. I think Google Camera adjusts focus and exposure on tap. 

11 minutes ago, tsupersonic said:

Seems like a very picky feature especially since the highest end Android flagships have a better camera than any iOS device (imo). For the record, Nexus 6P doesn't have it on 7.1.2 using Google Camera. 

Actually I take it back. I think Google Camera adjusts focus and exposure on tap. 

It's not picky when it ruins 25% of photos.

Google Camera does not do both when you tap when I install it on my S7.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Elliot B. said:

Are you saying the exposure slider doesn't change when you tap using Google Camera? Just try it out in good lighting conditions (like on a sunny day outside). You'll see it not only focuses but changes exposure (just not the slider)  

14 minutes ago, tsupersonic said:

Are you saying the exposure slider doesn't change when you tap using Google Camera? Just try it out in good lighting conditions (like on a sunny day outside). You'll see it not only focuses but changes exposure (just not the slider)  

If I'm indoors and trying to take a photo of an object with a window (daylight) in the background, the object is dark, even if I tap it.

My friend's iPhone 6 brightens and sharpens the object and dims the background really well.

HDR makes the scene look "odd" and doesn't really brighten the object, it just tries to balance the whole scene a little. Good feature at times, but not in a situation like this. A situation that happens a lot (taking photos of friends etc.).

28 minutes ago, Elliot B. said:

If I'm indoors and trying to take a photo of an object with a window (daylight) in the background, the object is dark, even if I tap it.

My friend's iPhone 6 brightens and sharpens the object and dims the background really well.

HDR makes the scene look "odd" and doesn't really brighten the object, it just tries to balance the whole scene a little. Good feature at times, but not in a situation like this. A situation that happens a lot (taking photos of friends etc.).

I did the same thing and took pic of my office window. Same behavior as the iPhone that you describe. Depending on where you tap, it either brightens or dims the background properly. I have an iPhone 6 as well, but no doubt the 6P takes better pics/videos. The iOS camera software is pretty good as well. 

57 minutes ago, Elliot B. said:

bless you, someone who nitpicks just like me.

Hated my galaxy S4 for this.  Hate my lg g3 for this. every android phone i've used doesn't adapt exposure. that said, there *are* apps that can do it, specially on xda... but I know it's nice to have OOB.

18 minutes ago, tsupersonic said:

I did the same thing and took pic of my office window. Same behavior as the iPhone that you describe. Depending on where you tap, it either brightens or dims the background properly. I have an iPhone 6 as well, but no doubt the 6P takes better pics/videos. The iOS camera software is pretty good as well. 

It's interesting that the same app works differently on different hardware.

Android in a nutshell :p