US woman burned by Starbucks coffee awarded $100,000

A US woman has been awarded more than $100,000 (£77,000) after being severely scalded by a cup of Starbucks coffee.

Joanne Mogavero, from Florida, suffered first and second degree burns when the lid popped off a cup of coffee at a Starbucks in 2014, a jury was told.

Her lawyers had argued that Starbucks should warn its customers that lids could pop off.

The jury awarded Ms Mogavero $85,000 for pain and suffering and more than $15,000 to cover medical bills.

Starbucks says it is considering an appeal.

The incident happened at a drive-through outlet in Jacksonville as she took the hot drink from an employee and prepared to pass it to her passenger.

Her lawyer, Steve Earle, said: "My client didn't want sympathy from the jury - she wanted justice - and the jury gave it to her with its verdict."

In a statement, Ms Mogavero's legal team said a Starbucks representative had testified during the court hearing in Duval County, Florida, that the company gets 80 complaints a month about problems with lids popping off or leaking.

A Starbucks spokesperson told the BBC: "As we said in trial, we stand behind our store partners in this case and maintain that they did nothing wrong."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39979194

Jackie-chan-meme.jpg

Was the coffee too hot and not made at the proper temperature as per instructions? Or just the lid popped off?

6 minutes ago, E.worm Jimmy said:

McDonalds Hot Coffee case all over again.

McDonalds one made sense though. They were at fault and the punishment was enough for them to reconsider doing it again.

To cause that amount of burning, the coffee would have had to have been way hotter than is safe... McDonalds all over again, indeed...

On 5/19/2017 at 5:38 PM, E.worm Jimmy said:

McDonalds Hot Coffee case all over again.

This was the injury of the McDonald's coffee. It's from the Documentary which is on Netflix called "Hot Coffee"

Click to see her injury! 

Spoiler

stella_liebeck_burned_by_mcdonalds_coffe

35 minutes ago, warwagon said:

This was the injury of the McDonald's coffee. It's from the Documentary which is on Netflix called "Hot Coffee"

Click to see her injury! 

Reveal hidden contents

stella_liebeck_burned_by_mcdonalds_coffe

gJzAOQ[1].png

• Like 3

Her lawyers had argued that Starbucks should warn its customers that lids could pop off.

<facedesk>

"Warning: Removable things may be removable"

I don't have a problem with this woman being awarded for her injuries. I've had many close calls with lids that were not properly secured by the employees working behind the counter. A few weeks ago, a Starbucks employee spilled my Caramel Cappuccino while putting it on the counter. I've encountered other close calls at similar establishments from lids not closed properly.

Call me crazy, but perhaps a motor vehicle is not the most ideal place to drink a potentially scolding hot beverage. 

44 minutes ago, virtorio said:

Call me crazy, but perhaps a motor vehicle is not the most ideal place to drink a potentially scolding hot beverage. 

Gotta watch out for those scolding beverages. They can really give you a hard time about it. They might even warn you that they are scalding hot ;)

Everyone facepalmed over the McDonald's coffee judgement, until they see that pic of the old woman.  That coffee was WAY TOO HOT.
I know its a disgusting picture, made even moreso due to the uhhh... yeah, but if this is like that case - then Starbucks shouldn't seek an appeal.  Just let it be.  $100000 is nothing to Starbucks. They will make it back in 1 day.  Bad Press, and the social media outcry will not be so easy to get past.

2 hours ago, virtorio said:

Coffee should not be served at a temperature that can scold you this badly.  Normal 100 degree water doesn't do that much damage and it shouldn't even that hot anyway as it burns the coffee at 100 degrees.

2 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Coffee should not be served at a temperature that can scold you this badly.  Normal 100 degree water doesn't do that much damage and it shouldn't even that hot anyway as it burns the coffee at 100 degrees.

I'm not disputing that, all I'm saying is that I don't think a car is best place to hot drink coffee (Starbucks claim that get 80 complaints a month from issues with lids), and even at less than 100ºC you can still horribly burn yourself (I believe the woman in the McDonalds case burnt with coffee that was between 80 and 90ºC). 

If the barista did not secure the lid properly then the company is at fault, simple as that. Although that is something that would be hard to prove, I think they might be amending their cups to add some sort of indication (whatever that could be).