The Elder Scrolls 6 isn't in development

By Fraser Brown 2 hours ago

It's third on Bethesda's list of priorities.

With Skyrim: Special Edition last year, the Morrowind expansion for The Elder Scrolls Online this year, and now announcements for Skyrim VR and a Switch edition, you’ve probably been wondering if The Elder Scrolls 6 is the next thing on Bethesda’s agenda. Unfortunately, if you’ve been pining for a new game in the main series, you’ve got a long wait ahead of you. 

“They have at least two major titles they are working on before we’re going to get to Elder Scrolls 6,” Bethesda’s Pete Hines said last night, while showing off more of The Evil Within 2. 

Continues...

Well, heck, since they can keep selling you skyrim and now mods, no rush for them to do a whole new game.  

• Like 1

I'd be willing to bet it's in development, just very early in development so they have nothing to talk about. There's no way it's not. That is there #1 money maker.

Todd explained exactly how it is at last E3 "It requires Technology and time which we don't have right now"

Just as a clarification, Bethesda/Zenimax is a business looking to make a profit, and Skyrim and Fallout 4 are still currently profitable, as are TESO and Elder Scrolls Legends (the card game). Why should they spend money up-front on a whole new game while the previous game, which has already earned all of its up-front costs back, continues to bring in money. This is why Skyrim was made, and why it was made so well, to bring in money long after it's paid for itself.

People are whining about Switchrim, but Switchrim represents the first time Skyrim has truly been portable, aside from pricy gaming laptops that are portable in name only. You can get a convertible and flip the screen around and get a wireless Xbox One controller and technically play Skyrim on the go, but you're gonna drop four figures at least. A $300 Switch and $60 Switchrim game will get you portable Skyrim for under $400, possibly less than a third of the PC solution. (My laptop plays Skyrim, but not SSE, and with its HDR screen it looks so freakin good, but I would hesitate to play Skyrim on it, say, on an airplane. There's really not enough room in coach for that (never flown first class), but a 3DS or Switch, yeah, I can see that.

I am also confident TES VI is in development. Oblivion took four years after Morrowind's 2002 release. Skyrim took five years since Oblivion's 2006 release. It's coming up on six years since Skyrim, and while I wouldn't say they owe us a new TES game this year (they don't, shut up), they are certainly breaking the pattern. Also, there was no Elder Scrolls MMO or trading card game or anything between Oblivion and Skyrim. The fact that single-player TES fans refuse to even look at TESO does not change the fact that TESO exists, and Bethesda continues to work on it, and will probably continue to work on it for the next two or three years, as long as it is profitable.

Way I see TESO... I'm actually confused by it. I don't have it in any shape or form. If I want to get into it, what do I need to buy? The base game or the Gold Edition? Do I need to buy the Morrowind kit? What will it cost me to get all the content right now? What will it cost me going forward? And for how long will I be able to play it? I think what Bethesda needs to be doing is not working on a whole new game, per se, but rather, working on a single player game for TESO. And that can either be, or take the place of, TES VI. Basically, after all the servers are shut down, TESO should have a single player experience, and not just some crappy tacked on thing. It should be a full on game with all the guilds and whatnot. Basically, what most of us want. That big open world Tamriel where we can go anywhere. Honestly that's what they should do, after they're done with all the lands, after all the online crap is done and they're going to retire the servers... single player pack. Call it TES VI. It's not TESO anymore because it's no longer online. It's all of Tamriel and here's a single player mode and it's only going to cost TESO players like $20-30 because they've been paying in, but if you're new to it, you're gonna pay $60 or maybe more, but you're gonna get all the TESO content in one thing, but single player. And you know people are going to cry foul, but if they follow that up with a strong TES VII, that could be amazing, especially if it's not long after.

Too ambitious?

5 hours ago, Louisifer said:

Todd explained exactly how it is at last E3 "It requires Technology and time which we don't have right now"

Reading between the lines it sounds like they are creating an entire new game engine to come along with ES 6.

4 hours ago, trag3dy said:

Reading between the lines it sounds like they are creating an entire new game engine to come along with ES 6.

Knowing Bethesda, it'll still be the same engine. there's probably tons of things that needs adding to the engine. imagine water physics where you throw an ice bold into water freezing it and using a fire spell to carve a tunnel through it to something down below. :D current engine would crap itself trying to do that.

I doubt that's actually going to be a thing but I'm guessing it's that kind extreme upgrade the engine needs for the story they have. I'm guessing Q3-2019/2020 is about the timeframe we should be looking at.