Philippines: ISIS Saves US Foreign Policy, Again

In an all too familiar pattern, militants proclaiming ties to the so-called “Islamic State” (ISIS) have once again found themselves aiding US foreign policy, this time in the Philippines where the Philippine government has been increasingly seeking closer ties with Beijing at the expense of Washington’s longstanding influence in the Southeast Asian state.

http://www.activistpost.com/2017/06/philippines-isis-saves-us-foreign-policy.html

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Fulcrum said:

This is actually interesting perspective.

What is also interesting is that Duterte didn't ask for the US to provide "assistance" ...

Duterte claims ‘never approached’ US for help in battle against Islamist militants (PHOTOS, VIDEO)

CONFIRMED: US enters fight against ISIS in Philippines

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, FunkyMike said:

huh, so the US just sent advisers unasked? not trying to argue buddy, I just assumed they must have been at least asked no?

6 minutes ago, Mando said:

huh, so the US just sent advisers unasked? not trying to argue buddy, I just assumed they must have been at least asked no?

Should we really be surprised? When it comes to the US they really don't ask for permission, do they? Syria anyone?

• Like 2

Just now, 300z said:

Should we really be surprised? When it comes to the US they really don't ask for permission, do they? Syria anyone?

fair point, oil pipeline anyone?

1 minute ago, Mando said:

Seems to me that Duterte is either trying to save face or there are multiple factions within the Philippine gov structure that are competing. Or maybe a combination of both.

Mr Duterte said he had “never approached America” for help and was “not aware of that until they arrived,” when he was asked about US support to fight the pro-Isis militants in Marawi City, on the island of Mindanao.

He did not say the armed forces had gone over his head but noted that, because of years of training from the United States, “our soldiers are pro-American, that I cannot deny.”

Presidential spokesperson Ernesto Abella said in a statement US forces were participating directly in combat operations, which is prohibited by Philippines law.

“The fight against terrorism, however, is not only the concern of the Philippines or the United States but it is a concern of many nations around the world,” he said.

“The Philippines is open to assistance from other countries if they offer it.”

The Pentagon, which has no permanent presence in the Philippines but for years has kept 50 to 100 special forces troops in the south of the country on rotational exercises, confirmed it was helping the Philippine military in Marawi.

It said in a statement on Saturday it was providing Philippines forces with security assistance and training in the areas of intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/philippines-marawi-rodrigo-duterte-us-forces-joining-battle-besieged-isis-maute-a7784736.html

Might be an interesting Op-Ed for some:

‘Dirty’ Duterte on the ropes as ISIS, US Special Forces crash the Philippines

Just last month, Rodrigo ‘Dirty’ Duterte appeared to be riding high on the tiger of geopolitics with surprising authority. He had just served notice to the United States that, although he considered Donald Trump a “friend,” he would be realigning his foreign policy trajectory towards Russia and China. This punch to American pride came after he had requested more than once that US soldiers stationed in the Philippines pack up their gear and go home.

In other words, failing to understand that the US superpower plays for keeps, Duterte was seeking to terminate US-Philippines relations with an amicable separation, as opposed to a full-blown bitter divorce.

https://www.rt.com/op-edge/392669-dirty-duterte-isis-us-special-forces/

In most East Asian, saving face is paramount. You can NOT admit you were wrong even if it is clear you are. My brother in law is in the Philipines Armed Forces and what happened is this. Duterte - to save face - can not ask for USA for help, so what he did was give permission to the generals to make the decision to decide what they needed and allowed them to ask for help. Stupid... yes. He should just admit that they needed help. Although i am in love the Philippines, I hate this backward asian pride/ego thing.

On 16.06.2017 at 0:43 AM, Mando said:

lets stop calling them what they want to be called, they are Daesh, they hate that ;) 

Yeah that'll show them...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Descartes said:

Yeah that'll show them...

denying calling them what they wish to be known as, denies them publicity as a recognised organisation, pray tell what else would you suggest that the general public can do?

They have a following due to modern media publicity, social media and use it to their advantage, so the less publicity and recognition they get, the more it counters their media campaigns.

Until all worldwide nations collectively work towards removing extremism on a unified front, its root cause and the remaining forces globally, there is nothing much else the public can do.

Campaigning local governments known to harbour and be sympathetic towards Daesh, and western governments who sell weapons & industrial sales to sympathetic said nations would also help, including the UK and the US, but they are not the only nations to do so.

Daesh are on the back foot and is why they are resorting to terrorist guerrilla acts worldwide.

Edited by Mando