Cutting Potentially Dangerous Trees Around the House

I made a topic on here about 6 months ago following the process of moving our new double wide home onto our property here in Kentucky, setting it up, connecting to the well for water, installing the septic tanks and things, etc.

Lately I've been cutting trees around the house.  I cut several trees before the house was set into place, but there's a lot that I didn't anticipate being an issue, or just didn't notice altogether.  I've made a few VLOGs about it, and thought I would share the latest one since there were a few of you that were genuinely interested in the type of things I do around the property up here besides playing video games and working on computers, :p

This is one tree that I didn't notice before we moved the house in.  I noticed it, but it looked straight from our perspective.  It wasn't until the house was already in place that I noticed that the trunk itself was leaning pretty severely for the bottom 10-12 feet before it straightened out, which placed a lot of leverage on the base of a tree that is notorious for having shallow roots and soft wood.  Obviously, since it's big enough to hit the house, I had to pull out the chain and winch it, notch it on one side, etc. in order to make it fall where I wanted it to go instead of where IT wanted to go.

Anyway, here's the video.  If you go to my channel there's a few other videos recently of me cutting other trees on the hillside.

5 minutes ago, Rippleman said:

With all the "opps" videos on youtube, i was expecting a fall to the house. :) 

There's one that's on the hill above the house on an almost vertical slope that I need to cut as well.  It's one that I didn't "think" would be a problem, but after the house got sat into place I noticed it's close enough to be directly above us that if it fell at an angle of any kind it could hit the house.  I'll have to use chains on it and pull it up the hill (I did it to a beach tree in another VLOG on my channel).  I hate having to chain and winch trees on a steep slope like that though because you can do everything right and it's still a very dangerous job.  I don't mind cutting trees if I can just let them fall wherever without chains and stuff, but it's a bit more involved when you have to manipulate the tree into falling in a specific place, especially if you have to pull it against gravity.

So good you make yourself horny? lol

Glad to see you didn't destroy the new place though

22 hours ago, Gerowen said:

There's one that's on the hill above the house on an almost vertical slope that I need to cut as well.  It's one that I didn't "think" would be a problem, but after the house got sat into place I noticed it's close enough to be directly above us that if it fell at an angle of any kind it could hit the house.  I'll have to use chains on it and pull it up the hill (I did it to a beach tree in another VLOG on my channel).  I hate having to chain and winch trees on a steep slope like that though because you can do everything right and it's still a very dangerous job.  I don't mind cutting trees if I can just let them fall wherever without chains and stuff, but it's a bit more involved when you have to manipulate the tree into falling in a specific place, especially if you have to pull it against gravity.

Most tree surgeons usually cut branches away in sections, then the trunk the same way..

If it's possible, even though it's long and tedious, it might be a safer option to you and property.

18 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

So good you make yourself horny? lol

Glad to see you didn't destroy the new place though

Most tree surgeons usually cut branches away in sections, then the trunk the same way..

If it's possible, even though it's long and tedious, it might be a safer option to you and property.

I've thought about climbing it and taking it down a piece at a time, but the slope between it and the house is nearly vertical and I'm kind of afraid of the stumps rolling down the hill and into the house.  I could take it down in fairly large pieces maybe.  It also has no limbs whatsoever for at least the first 30 feet and I don't have climbing gear, so if I managed to climb it I would just take a little bow saw and cut the pieces by hand instead of using a chainsaw.

I've got no doubts about my ability to pull it away from the house, it's just a lot of hard work to do it, especially when you're working on a steep slope.  I'm gonna take a break for a day or two though before I mess with it and take care of some other chores.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...