'Woke' and 'post-truth' added to Oxford English Dictionary

Nick H.

'Woke' and 'post-truth' added to Oxford English Dictionary

The Oxford English Dictionary is getting political in its latest update, with "woke" and "post-truth" now included.

The original meaning of woke is to awaken after sleep but the word now has other social connotations.

"By the mid-20th century," says the Oxford English Dictionary (OED), "woke had been extended figuratively to refer to being 'aware' or 'well informed' in a political or cultural sense."

Post-truth was 2016's word of the year.

It is defined as "relating to or denoting circumstances in which objective facts are less influential in shaping political debate or public opinion than appeals to emotion and personal belief".

Source and more

Urgh, I dislike both of those words. Are 'fam' and 'bae' already in there, or have we been able to ignore them for the moment?

The Evil Overlord

Me too Nick, me too

Sszecret

I suppose this is..."lit"? Maybe? I don't even know. 

dipsylalapo

I can't remember if this was for the Oxford English Dictionary or something else, but I watched an interesting short video. It talked about how words/phrases like this make it into the dictionary. To summarise though, words that are added are usually down to an increasing trend of being used, mainly online. 

So I guess once again, we blame social media ;)

TPreston

'post-truth'  is definitely part of or vocabulary now

LimeMaster
19 hours ago, Nick H. said:

Source and more

Urgh, I dislike both of those words. Are 'fam' and 'bae' already in there, or have we been able to ignore them for the moment?

Who's the bae in your avatar? :p

Shiranui

I have never heard woke used in that way.

Then again, I do live in Japan.

+jnelsoninjax
12 hours ago, Shiranui said:

I have never heard woke used in that way.

Then again, I do live in Japan.

I have never heard it either, let alone bae, or the other phrases, like cash me outside, I had to Google that phrase to know what it was supposed to mean, but I also avoid Facebook so I guess that might be where a fair amount of these words are used.

Jim K
8 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I have never heard it either, let alone bae, or the other phrases, like cash me outside, I had to Google that phrase to know what it was supposed to mean, but I also avoid Facebook so I guess that might be where a fair amount of these words are used.

That "cash me outside" ... I didn't hear about it until listening to a Hollywood Babble-On podcast where they were talking about it.  She has a lot of money now (estimated 200k) ... for that .. and set to make $1M.

/sigh.  I don't get it.

MikeChipshop

Language evolves, and good on it! I'm not going to be using any of those horrible words but I can bet my parents said the same thing about some of my generations additions to the dictionary. 

• Like 1
dipsylalapo
3 minutes ago, Jim K said:

That "cash me outside" ... I didn't hear about it until listening to a Hollywood Babble-On podcast where they were talking about it.  She has a lot of money now (estimated 200k) ... for that .. and set to make $1M.

/sigh.  I don't get it.

The bad side of social media, and before anyone says anything, yes there is a good side :p

As a society, we need to stop making people like her "famous"

• Like 1
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By zikalify
      Vodafone says it can't offer free access to BBC Bitesize
      by Paul Hill

Vodafone has told BBC News that it will not offer free access to the BBC Bitesize educational materials as BT, EE and Plusnet did last week. The mobile carrier said that its technical team have assessed the possibility of zero-rating Bitesize but concluded that it's not possible to offer free access without giving users free access to the whole of the BBC website.

Explaining why it’s not possible for Vodafone to do, the firm’s general counsel and external affairs director Helen Lamprell said:

Lamprell also said that, by zero-rating Bitesize, it would give the site an advantage over other education websites and could go against the firm’s legal obligations to maintain net neutrality. While Ofcom is mandated with ensuring net neutrality, Vodafone probably would have been safe from ramifications given that the closing of schools is quite extraordinary. Instead of zero-rating Bitesize, Vodafone has offered 350,000 free SIM cards to disadvantaged children to get them online.

BT told BBC that zero-rating Bitesize alone is technically difficult and can be costly, however, it affirmed that it’s not impossible to do which contradicts what Vodafone has said today. EE will offer Bitesize for free by the end of the month and customers will not have to register to take advantage of the offer.

Source: BBC News

• By zikalify
      BT to zero-rate BBC Bitesize content to help with homeschooling
      by Paul Hill

BT has announced that its customers will have unlimited access to BBC Bitesize content by the end of the month. The agreement between BT and the BBC will also extend to EE, BT Mobile, and Plusnet Mobile customers as these are all owned by BT.

By zero-rating BBC Bitesize, customers will be able to read, watch and interact with content without using up any of their data allowance; this will help parents who have been forced to home school their children due to the coronavirus pandemic to save money and get access to vital content. This is not the first time a mobile carrier has zero-rated essential resources, Three has also zero-rated NHS 101, NHS websites and video consultations.

Commenting on the arrangement, BBC Director General Tim Davie said:

To make access as easy as possible, the new zero-rating will automatically be applied to customers’ packages and no extra registration will be needed. The mobile carrier said that the scheme will come to an end as schools reopen across the country later in the year.

• By Steven P.
      Get 5 years of Ivacy VPN at 90% off for just $1 per month
      by Steven Parker

If you use the internet (which you clearly do), you likely know how important it is to protect your data in an increasingly dangerous cyber environment. But like other essential tasks that tend to be tedious (like filing taxes early and brushing your teeth for the full two minutes), most installing and running a VPN can sound unappealing to many: sure, they encrypt your internet traffic and hide your location — but they can also run frustratingly slowly, delaying the way you’d usually use the internet for entertainment and work.

That’s where Ivacy VPN is different: not only will the speedy service let you browse and stream lag-free, it also offers real-time threat detection technology, removing malware and viruses at the server level. It ensures that all your downloads and devices stay totally secure, so you can stay safe online without being inconvenienced. In addition, all plans allow 10 simultaneous logins and unblocks BBC iPlayer, Disney+, Hulu and major Netflix regions including US, France, Japan, UK, Australia, Germany and Canada.

With Ivacy, you can enjoy protection anywhere by connecting to 1,000+ servers in hundreds of locations. You’ll have unrestricted access to your favorite apps and websites, no matter where you are in the world. There’s also a dedicated secure downloading feature using P2P optimized servers, and useful extensions available across browsers and platforms, whether you’re an Android or iOS user, with split-tunneling available for both.

And unlike other players in the digital security space, Ivacy VPN has a decade of experience delivering excellence, receiving a 4.7/5 TrustPilot rating and a 99.8% crash-free performance. You can protect your data with two different Ivacy VPN subscriptions:

Get a five-year subscription to Ivacy VPN here ($60 or $1 per month) ends Friday July 3.

As an Ivacy affiliate, Neowin may earn commission from qualifying purchases.

• By +spikey_richie
      Anyone else watching DEVS on BBC2? I'm up to episode 6 of 8, and really enjoying it. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p087gj19/devs

I believe it's on Hulu as well.
    • By zikalify
      BBC iPlayer breaks on several Samsung smart TVs, patches rolling out in the coming weeks
      by Paul Hill

The BBC catch-up service, iPlayer, has stopped working on several Samsung smart TVs due to a “software glitch”. Samsung has reportedly begun issuing a software update to fix the issue but some older models will have to wait until the new year to receive the fix. As a consequence, the BBC estimates that tens of thousands of TVs will be unable to use iPlayer over the Christmas period.

The issue was caused by a security certificate expiring over the weekend, the new firmware update will mean TVs have updated security certificates which will allow content to be streamable again. According to the BBC, Samsung was supposed to have issued the update before the old certificate expired but this oversight means many will not be able to use iPlayer for the next couple of weeks.

Commenting on the issue, Samsung said:

If your Samsung TV is affected by this issue you can press the Menu or Settings button on your remote, head to Support > Software Update > Update Now or Support > Software Update > Online. Once you’ve reached that part, just follow the on-screen instructions to complete the update. Those with models sold between 2013 and 2015 will have to wait until the new year comes in before the update is available.

Source: BBC News