What went wrong with this 'Online' RAM purchase?

Hello folks!

The default DDR3 Memory read out ::: 1GB 1Rx8 PC3-8500S - 07-10-ZZZ

& the one which got delivered via my 'Online purchase' indicate ::: 2GB 2Rx8 PC3-10600U - 09-11-B2 ;

Reference -  goo.gl/oPUKRP

The installation for 'Memory upgrade' couldn't succeed as my Notebook fails to boot up.

So what really went wrong with it?

Notebook is capable of 4GB (2+2) of RAM upgradation & has 2GB (1+1) at the moment.

Please suggest further to avoid such goof ups in future .

Inputs will be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you.

• PS - The one which got delivered has no mention of 1333 MHz.
  •         Notebook manual reads out compatibility of PC3-8500 DDR3 SO-DIMM 1066MHz Type RAM

It looks like you got some bad RAM, I would return it.

The clock speed of the memory doesn't really matter, it will just run at the lower clock speed of the two.

Memory speed/timings could matter.  For example ... I bought this memory for my notebook (Dell XPS 15 L501x)....

Mushkin Enhanced 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Laptop Memory Model 996647

Which is:

• DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
  • CAS Latency 9
  • 1.5V

However ... that memory caused my notebook not to boot ... at all.  I hit Mushkin up and they basically said I ordered the wrong memory ... that that my notebook wasn't compatible.  They sent me compatible memory which was this ...

Mushkin Enhanced Essentials 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Laptop Memory Model 996644

Which is:

• DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500)
  • CAS Latency 7
  • 1.5V

I screwed up because that 1333 wasn't compatible...when I bought it I had figured it would slow down to the 1066 speeds ... nope!

You could also use Crucial RAM Advisor Tool to find compatible memory ... though I'm willing to bet you ran into the same issue I did.

Side note ... great RMA experience with Mushkin.

6 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Memory speed/timings could matter.  For example ... I bought this memory for my notebook....

Mushkin Enhanced 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Laptop Memory Model 996647

Which is:

• DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
  • CAS Latency 9
  • 1.5V

However ... that memory caused my notebook not to boot ... at all.  I hit Mushkin up and they basically said I ordered the wrong memory ... that that my notebook wasn't compatible (I think due to the speed..but I've long deleted the correspondence).  Either way ... they sent me compatible memory which was this ...

Mushkin Enhanced Essentials 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Laptop Memory Model 996644

Which is:

• DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500)
  • CAS Latency 7
  • 1.5V

I screwed up because that 1333 wasn't compatible...when I bought it I had figured it would slow down to the 1066 speeds ... nope!

You could also use Crucial RAM Advisor Tool to find compatible memory ... though I'm willing to bet you ran into the same issue I did.

I thought it would just clock down, too. Unless that means it only clocks down with other RAM?

50 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I thought it would just clock down, too. Unless that means it only clocks down with other RAM?

Woot!  I thought I had made a post about this last year (since I've since deleted the Mushkin RMA response)...and I had...

Anyway, Mushkin said ...

The laptop does support up to 8GB of total memory(2x4GB), however because of the limitations of the CPU it only supports up to DDR3-1066 and 4GB modules need to be low density (16 chips total, 8 per side of the PCB)
http://ark.intel.com/products/50179/Intel-Core-i5-460M-Processor-3M-Cache-2_53-GHz

Unfortunately the 996647 kit will not work, what you need for this laptop is 996644

Maybe the OP can provide the specs of his notebook .... to see if it is the same kind of issue.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2017 at 10:04 PM, Mindovermaster said:

I ordered a single 2GB stick & tried to use it against the given slot while keeping the other one as empty.

Do you mean that the clock-down would have been possible had I not left the other memory slot as empty?

Kindly help clear the ambiguity.

On 7/1/2017 at 10:54 PM, Jim K said:

Maybe the OP can provide the specs of his notebook .... to see if it is the same kind of issue.

Kindly help me with a tool to extract out the desired specs. for my Notebook. Iam all too eager to get to the root of this issue.

On 7/1/2017 at 9:30 PM, Marshall said:

It looks like you got some bad RAM, I would return it.

The clock speed of the memory doesn't really matter, it will just run at the lower clock speed of the two.

Done that the very same evening! Refund is awaited though. :-)