what if...

I wast thinking, what if all the cultures on the planet originated on other worlds which were about to be wiped out and an alien civilisation saved them all, transported them all to this planet and this is why we are all so different?

or it's just evolution + climate change + other factors = unique culture of X country

hmmmm?

25 minutes ago, Slarlac249 said:

I wast thinking, what if all the cultures on the planet originated on other worlds which were about to be wiped out and an alien civilisation saved them all, transported them all to this planet and this is why we are all so different?

or it's just evolution + climate change + other factors = unique culture of X country

hmmmm?

Evidence says it's the latter

1 hour ago, John. said:

Evidence says it's the latter

yeah that's most likely the reason, like how black / brown skin in hot countries is the way of adapting to the heat right?

Just now, Slarlac249 said:

yeah that's most likely the reason, like how black / brown skin in hot countries is the way of adapting to the heat right?

Actually, I think it's (uv) light rather than heat. But yes.

• Like 1

it's still weird how some countries the people all look very similar to each other, i.e. China, Japan and a few other Asian countries, yet other countries facial features are more unique looking, as in not so similar for each person. is that evolution or something else? maybe because they didn't mix much with other countries people?

Genetic diversity and isolated geographic variations over 100k years, etc. Why different ethnicities "look" different can be reasonably explained by their origins (other planets and aliens not being one of them)

26 minutes ago, Slarlac249 said:

it's still weird how some countries the people all look very similar to each other, i.e. China, Japan and a few other Asian countries, yet other countries facial features are more unique looking, as in not so similar for each person. is that evolution or something else? maybe because they didn't mix much with other countries people?

You mean similar looking to you, that is a fault within you, and not them. We call it ignorance, or bigotry.

2 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

You mean similar looking to you, that is a fault within you, and not them. We call it ignorance, or bigotry.

Woah woah, he's not being ignorant or a bigot. Largely, people from the same geographical areas do share similar features.

He's literally right. Similar features are more prominent because they're attractive or useful in the given geographical area they're in, or simply happen due to lots of breeding. 

It's fine to point out similarities, but not in a negative way. Which he wasn't doing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Slarlac249 said:

If you ask someone from one of those regions, they'd likely say the same - people from their area are easier for them to distinguish than people from the other side of the world. It's just down to what you're familiar with, you learn to tell the difference better.

15 minutes ago, John. said:

Woah woah, he's not being ignorant or a bigot. Largely, people from the same geographical areas do share similar features.

He's literally right. Similar features are more prominent because they're attractive or useful in the given geographical area they're in, or simply happen due to lots of breeding. 

It's fine to point out similarities, but not in a negative way. Which he wasn't doing.

You're probably right, I just happened his choice of wording similar to RL experiences growing up in my neighbourhood, and as such, touched a raw nerve.

1 hour ago, The Evil Overlord said:

You're probably right, I just happened his choice of wording similar to RL experiences growing up in my neighbourhood, and as such, touched a raw nerve.

Sorry you had to go through that. It's a shame, really.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveLegg said:

If you ask someone from one of those regions, they'd likely say the same - people from their area are easier for them to distinguish than people from the other side of the world. It's just down to what you're familiar with, you learn to tell the difference better.

This is correct. It's seen in animals such as dolphins and monkeys too; Animals can tell each other apart, where humans see them all as the same.

• Like 1