Recommend me an Android phone

8 hours ago, Skiver said:

the first two... sorry but not :p

Nokia 8 isn't out for a while yet is it?

They did, but I'd literally had a conversation with a guy at work (his misses has the same problematic phone and her refurb unit just broken 2 days in) that next time I buy a phone for myself I'm not going cheap with Carphone Warehouse and buying from manufacturer (he's had a better experience with Google over this issue because of that) and that I wouldn't buy the Pixel even if it was in budget as it's having the same issues.

Although it seems I'm wrong on the last part, I was under the impression that LG had manufacturer the Pixel but it's actually HTC. LG is supposedly doing the next Pixel though.

I've ordered the Pixel now, the fact it was the phone I would have bought in the first place unquestionably is now in the budget and I can actually pick it up tomorrow rather than waiting a week if I order the Moto today. 

Great choice, the Pixel is one slick phone; also a great move staying away from those first two choices. Yuck! I'd never own any device running an mediatek chip, then again I like to build my own android roms.

The Pixel is a lovely phone, but about 9 months (left) of official Android updates guaranteed would have had me steering well clear.

1 minute ago, Fahim S. said:

The Pixel is a lovely phone, but about 9 months (left) of official Android updates guaranteed would have had me steering well clear.

Have they really done that since leaving the nexus name? I understand nothing is guaranteed, but one of the great selling points of the nexus was support well beyond the usual lifespan. I know third party roms will be there, but id assume google would still push images out?

18 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Have they really done that since leaving the nexus name? I understand nothing is guaranteed, but one of the great selling points of the nexus was support well beyond the usual lifespan. I know third party roms will be there, but id assume google would still push images out?

It will get new versions of Android until October 2018, then security updates for a year after.

Not exactly leading by example if you ask me, however sadly better than most manufacturers.

58 minutes ago, InsaneNutter said:

It will get new versions of Android until October 2018, then security updates for a year after.

Not exactly leading by example if you ask me, however sadly better than most manufacturers.

Ok.. so better than the 18 months they first said.. but not close to the best. My one expectation of a premium handset (Nexus handset's were not exactly premium) is ongoing support.  It's what made me bite the bullet and go back to the iPhone after several years of being a happy Android user.

7 hours ago, Fahim S. said:

Ok.. so better than the 18 months they first said.. but not close to the best. My one expectation of a premium handset (Nexus handset's were not exactly premium) is ongoing support.  It's what made me bite the bullet and go back to the iPhone after several years of being a happy Android user.

I did only get 18 months of updates with my Galaxy Nexus sadly (i think due to one of this chip makers not releasing drivers) however your right the models after seemed to get official support forever.

I totally agree Google are not setting a great example for Android support these days, especially when you consider the price of their devices. It's not like you can buy two Pixel phones and it will still workout cheaper than one iPhone, if I was willing to spend that much on a phone I probably would get an iPhone too as at last I know i'm paying for 4+ years of updates and support.

That was my argument with the OnePlus One, although they only committed to 24 months of Android updates (and actually delivered that, which was great for a new company), you could still buy the phone 3 times and have money left over compared to buying a single the iPhone 6 Plus at the time.

However over 3 years later i'm still very happy with the OnePlus One, running a custom rom with the latest version of Android.

11 hours ago, Draconian Guppy said:

ah edit, nevermind you already ordered, added spoilers for suggestions.

The problem with Ebay is there is generally zero warranty, given my phone died on me. Warranty is something I'd like!

Additionally those look to be all LG phones, My 5X is an LG and I don't think is the only phone to be affected by the bootloop issue so I'll be staying well clear of those for now!

11 hours ago, Fahim S. said:

It's too late, but what would have been a better option? My Nexus 4 is killing me at the moment! Battery life is surprisingly OK but 3G and the fact it seems to struggle with just using wifi reliably and this is my work phone I need something I can rely on.

Going Motorola, Nokia or Lenovo etc would probably leave me in exactly the same place (no updates). The way I see this, I am guaranteed updates for the next 9-18 months whereas others I may never see one past anything from the initial boot. I'd have loved to wait to see what Google do next (although probably above budget) or even wait for something like the OnePlus5 to drop in price but time was not a massive luxury.

• Haha 1

Man, the troll comments about mtk make me laugh, it's intel vs amd all over again

it's a cheap device and a lot of bang for your buck, I'd like to see how much a snapdragon 8 core with 3 gb ram expandable storage, the same dimensions/spec (and a 10 amp battery) would cost

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, BBinder said:

I'm going to be retiring my Lumia 950 on Monday and joining android ecosystem when my Nokia 8 arrives

<--- Has a Nokia 8

apart from having 2 issues, one issue using nova launcher, the other, I've become so used to having an 11 day charge cycle it boggles and perplexes me a little to have to recharge every day or 2 since owning it. I cannot fault it, the nova launcher thing was a personal preference, (personally I thought the default launcher used was a little too cluttered and over padded, nova tidied up my icons very nicely)

Oh a side note, the nokia does something my oukitel also does, you can save your favourite, or most used contact numbers as shortcuts right onto your home screen, so no need to look through contacts, but I warn you, sometimes nova will glitch, the shortcut will appear as broken, any picture saved on the contact will not display, but the shortcut will work as intended

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2017 at 2:27 AM, InsaneNutter said:

I did only get 18 months of updates with my Galaxy Nexus sadly (i think due to one of this chip makers not releasing drivers) however your right the models after seemed to get official support forever.

I totally agree Google are not setting a great example for Android support these days, especially when you consider the price of their devices. It's not like you can buy two Pixel phones and it will still workout cheaper than one iPhone, if I was willing to spend that much on a phone I probably would get an iPhone too as at last I know i'm paying for 4+ years of updates and support.

That was my argument with the OnePlus One, although they only committed to 24 months of Android updates (and actually delivered that, which was great for a new company), you could still buy the phone 3 times and have money left over compared to buying a single the iPhone 6 Plus at the time.

However over 3 years later i'm still very happy with the OnePlus One, running a custom rom with the latest version of Android.

I have a GNex myself - however, due to the community picking up (and exceeding) the slack, that hasn't exactly been a minus - where it would be problematical is when you rely on your carrier for updates, and your carrier (Verizon Wireless, for example) is slow on them.  (That is, unfortunately, something that IS a bone that is pickable as far as VZW is concerned.)  Another problem (with VZW) is their insistence on staying stock - they HATE community ROMs.  That is one reason I'm with Tracfone (a split MVNO that uses T-Mobile and VZW's networks) - Tracfone could care less, despite that I'm using the VZW side of their network.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 that, like the GNex, is ex-VZW, and will replace it on Tracfone (performance reasons).  I even get VZW's hate of community ROMs - how much do their in-store sales peeps know about them?  (The same could be said of any carrier's sales peeps, for that matter - it's not just a VZW-specific problem.)

On 16/09/2017 at 1:20 AM, The Evil Overlord said:

<--- Has a Nokia 8

apart from having 2 issues, one issue using nova launcher, the other, I've become so used to having an 11 day charge cycle it boggles and perplexes me a little to have to recharge every day or 2 since owning it. I cannot fault it, the nova launcher thing was a personal preference, (personally I thought the default launcher used was a little too cluttered and over padded, nova tidied up my icons very nicely)

Oh a side note, the nokia does something my oukitel also does, you can save your favourite, or most used contact numbers as shortcuts right onto your home screen, so no need to look through contacts, but I warn you, sometimes nova will glitch, the shortcut will appear as broken, any picture saved on the contact will not display, but the shortcut will work as intended

Update, turns out if I don't use nova, everything is fine. So I'm still happy in recommending a Nokia 8