Super NES Classic preorders live at Best Buy now

Nimdock    63

Back to coming soon.

dragontology    346

Yeah, these things go down within minutes. I was hoping I could reach as many as possible. The same guy (it's @Wario64 on Twitter you want to follow) tweeted about Amazon having them under a weird name he assures us is legit (they sold him JoyCons that were real/authentic) but that's over too now. Here's that link though it's dead now. (Might be affiliate, I don't know, but it's not mine and the guy deserves it if so.)

Here's a direct link to his Twitter. Everyone should be following this guy, with notifications turned on. Pretty much all he posts is game deals. I'm not even a Twitter-er, but I have an iPhone, and I've been swiping away notifications for 2-3 weeks (pretty much since the Walmart preorders faked everyone out) and it's paid off.

Andrew    2,731

I'm not going through the hassle to track down a pre-order for this. If I happen to see stock online, I may buy one eventually though.

Vandalsquad    298

Nintendo shouldn't be rewarded for the continual never make enough stock crap let the scalpers and their bots make a fortune.

Just get a rasberry Pi or Intel NUC and create a proper setup yourself. These rock also http://www.8bitdo.com/#Products would highly recommend, Connect automatically with Windows 10 on bluetooh and work a treat.

Andrew    2,731

Any tom dick and harry can pirate roms and run an emulator. People want the real deal from Nintendo.

Scalpers are the ones who shouldn't be rewarded, but Nintendo should not be restricting stock, whatever the reason they have. Certainly not wanting to sell them / make money isn't the case. They could easily solve the PR side of things by just announcing exactly how many they plan to make.

Vandalsquad    298
22 hours ago, Andrew said:

Any tom dick and harry can pirate roms and run an emulator. People want the real deal from Nintendo.

Scalpers are the ones who shouldn't be rewarded, but Nintendo should not be restricting stock, whatever the reason they have. Certainly not wanting to sell them / make money isn't the case. They could easily solve the PR side of things by just announcing exactly how many they plan to make.

No doubt, I would love the real deal, but the fact I would have to pay $320 Australian for the real deal when I could get an xbox S with several games for the same amount? I can also walk into any shop and buy a Switch for just $130 more than what these are reselling for..? This should be a red light blaring at Nintendo to do something about it and help their fans. 

They have the manufacturing abilities, this is a multi billion dollar company that ship's out tens of millions of DS's a year so that's no excuse. And of course they want to make money which company doesn't? My only belief is they love the PR this generates and can continue to push their digital downloads on the more expensive console, while continually making you repurchase these classics with every upgrade. 

Completely trash customer service and will eventually backfire with fans.

Andrew    2,731
2 hours ago, Vandalsquad said:

No doubt, I would love the real deal, but the fact I would have to pay $320 Australian for the real deal when I could get an xbox S with several games for the same amount? I can also walk into any shop and buy a Switch for just $130 more than what these are reselling for..? This should be a red light blaring at Nintendo to do something about it and help their fans. 

They have the manufacturing abilities, this is a multi billion dollar company that ship's out tens of millions of DS's a year so that's no excuse. And of course they want to make money which company doesn't? My only belief is they love the PR this generates and can continue to push their digital downloads on the more expensive console, while continually making you repurchase these classics with every upgrade. 

Completely trash customer service and will eventually backfire with fans.

Well it's not a case of pushing a more expensive console because the Switch doesn't (and may not) have the Virtual Console.

And as for "making you" do something; You don't have to buy it. You can buy the original carts and consoles and not give them a penny if you really want. Or buy any number of consoles which do have the VC for a fraction of the cost. The Super SNES is obviously as much of a console as it will be a collector's item, so comparing it to any other console on the market isn't a 1:1 example. Nobody is buying it because they've not played LttP before, when there is multiple ways to do it for far cheaper.

slamfire92    1,228

ThinkGeek put them back up for sale @ 1pm. Website immediately 503’d and the next time the site loaded, they were gone. 

Complete joke. Not worth the trouble. Scalpers with automated tools and apparently vast amounts of free time will continue to snatch and gouge. Only thing that will put a stop to it is either flooding the stores with product or making them a regular production item. 

• Like 1

Andrew    2,731

Bought one from Amazon Prime Now this week with ease. Very happy with it :) Hopefully the re-release of the NES Classic will just be as plentiful so I can complete the collection.

I doubt we will see an N64 classic in future, and if we do, it will have quite a few favourites missing i.e Rare titles. However, if the price is right then I'll probably pick it up too.

dragontology    346

I like mine, but I'm not sure I will commit to playing the games I love on it. I can't move the saves! With my Pi, I can copy the saves over to my PC when I'm done. In fact, I can put them in my Google Drive, OneDrive, or Dropbox folder and access them on any machine with Internet access. Next time I use the Pi again, I can just copy them back and overwrite. There's probably a good way to get game save synergy between Windows and Android. (I don't play on Android, I have an Android tablet but I don't play on it, and my phone is an iPhone which I know is a no go for emulation.) So the Pi more or less plays along, but the Classic absolutely does not. Far as I know, there's no way to move the save game over, and since it doesn't have networking, it would be a pain in the knob to do it if you could.

hakchi has been updated to support it, and I threw a bunch of games on it. For some reason, Secret of Evermore (the non-sequel the US got for Secret of Mana) will not work on it. It'll refuse to even copy it over. There was another one that did this — Rock n' Roll Racing. Now, this is just for the stock emulator on the Classic. You can actually put RetroArch on the Classic, and then you can run NES, Super NES, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, N64, TurboGrafx16, Genesis, and Arcade, but you still only have 300MB to work with, so at that point... just get a Pi 3 and a 64GB Samsung Evo Select/Pro/Plus and call it a day (and get PS1 games). But I didn't mess with that. I just  put another 25 games on it, bringing the count from 21 to 46. And I'm only using up 28MB, so I can put a lot more games up there, if I want to. Here's a video covering the whole process of adding games.

But really, if you can't get one, or 300MB isn't enough space for you (hint: it isn't), get a Pi 3, or better yet get the $60 CanaKit that includes the Pi 3, get the 8bitdo controller you like the best, get the 64GB Evo card I mentioned above, maybe get a nicer case for your Pi, and just go that way. It'll do a whole lot more.

Andrew    2,731

Yeah but it involves piracy, so not ideal! And don't even pretend all these people are dumping roms from their carts (for which some cost $$$) :laugh:

Also for lulz

1sjr50.jpg

+LimeMaster    14,891

The thing is, due to stock issues it's some peoples' only choice.

Andrew    2,731
3 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

The thing is, due to stock issues it's some peoples' only choice.

Of course and I get that, but it's not the same as buying the console, which makes it a completely worthless comparison. Especially for kids and xmas presents. They don't want the hack job, they want the real item.

+LimeMaster    14,891
7 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Of course and I get that, but it's not the same as buying the console, which makes it a completely worthless comparison.

Sure it isn't the same, but they get to experience some of what they were missing out on. Plus, realistically those using the Pi method probably made their mind up before the SNES Classic was released, so Nintendo isn't losing out on much anyway.

Andrew    2,731
Just now, LimeMaster said:

Sure it isn't the same, but they get to experience some of what they were missing out on. Plus, realistically those using the Pi probably made their mind up before the SNES Classic was released, so Nintendo isn't losing out on much anyway.

TBH they probably don't even need the Pi. A lot of these kids will have a Wii, Wii U or 3DS which has most of the games available via the Virtual Console anyway.

But hopefully the supplies keep coming for those that want the real deal.

• Like 1

+LimeMaster    14,891
7 minutes ago, Andrew said:

TBH they probably don't even need the Pi. A lot of these kids will have a Wii, Wii U or 3DS which has most of the games available via the Virtual Console anyway.

But hopefully the supplies keep coming for those that want the real deal.

Yeah that's true. It's not the kids that would use the Raspberry Pi as a replacement. It's the people who want a trip down nostalgia lane. 

Supplies should still be coming. Remember they said they'll be restocking NES Classics sometime next year. The main concern is the sellers who buy them in bulk.