New Rig Build $2500 Maybe Little Bit More

Hello there guys, I have been reading a lot of threads in here and I am really confused between Intel and AMD Processor. I was originally leaning towards AMD TR, but I think it might be a bit overkill for me and EXPENSIVE. My last built was 2011 and I usually try to future proof my build (which we all know is impossible).

I have always built Intel Systems and This would be my first AMD System if I move forward. So I am looking for some guide on the processor needs and system board (Big Asus Fan). Need a system that will last me at least 7 years if not more.

Also is Coffee Lake Worth The Wait? I will be buying the system board, processor and system ram last

Primary Usage Of This New Rig: (Budge $2500 and Max $3000, But Would Like To Stay Below If Possible)

Creation of 4K Content, Conversion/Encoding YouTube Channel Content Creation Photo Editing Little Big Gaming (Not Hardcore) VR Ready

Thanks In Advance!

Personally i would spend about half of that now and use the money you saved for another system say 5+ years from now. it will be a more efficient use of your $$$ as i can't see dropping anywhere near $2,500 into a computer today as you can already get a pretty strong PC for half of that or less.

just a general guideline there as ill let others handle the details of your rig. but i do know AMD is more of a option lately than it was not long ago as if you have anything that really takes advantage of more cores in a CPU then it appears AMD is the better buy (this was in comparison to Intel i5 vs AMD equivalent (basically Intel i5 is 4 cores where as the AMD equivalent was 6 cores with 12 threads).

p.s. I had my PC since basically May 2012 (i3-2120 CPU/8GB RAM etc) and it's still good enough for me today (i did upgrade my video card recently though) for general use and gaming at 1080p with decent enough performance.

11 minutes ago, vegetto said:

Primary Usage Of This New Rig: (Budge $2500 and Max $3000, But Would Like To Stay Below If Possible)

Creation of 4K Content, Conversion/Encoding YouTube Channel Content Creation Photo Editing Little Big Gaming (Not Hardcore) VR Ready

I would probably recommend a workstation CPU and a motherboard for this system, and LOTS of ram.  The good thing is that you can save $$ on a video card since you aren't gaming, and you can put that money towards a decent 4K monitor.

9 minutes ago, ctebah said:

I would probably recommend a workstation CPU and a motherboard for this system, and LOTS of ram.  The good thing is that you can save $$ on a video card since you aren't gaming, and you can put that money towards a decent 4K monitor.

Adobe Premier has strong support for GPU acceleration. Can be very valuable to get a high end GPU.

Don't waste money on overpriced "overclocked" RAM or a fancy motherboard.  Neither will have any benefit on performance.

With that said, you could get a GTX 1080 GPU (or Ti) and i7 CPU (could get i5, but since you mention encoding, i7 is probably worth it) and come in well under your budget, and easily meet all your needs.  Definitely get a M.2 SSD with 512GB or 1TB.  Seasonic is a good bet for PSU that are really quiet and efficient.  If you plan on getting a big monitor with a high resolution, leave at least $700 for that.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, vegetto said:

Hello there guys, I have been reading a lot of threads in here and I am really confused between Intel and AMD Processor. I was originally leaning towards AMD TR, but I think it might be a bit overkill for me and EXPENSIVE. My last built was 2011 and I usually try to future proof my build (which we all know is impossible).

I have always built Intel Systems and This would be my first AMD System if I move forward. So I am looking for some guide on the processor needs and system board (Big Asus Fan). Need a system that will last me at least 7 years if not more.

Also is Coffee Lake Worth The Wait? I will be buying the system board, processor and system ram last

Thanks In Advance!

Video Editing is the toughest task on your list. Describe a bit more on what you do there.

Do you need to include 4K monitors in budget?

28 minutes ago, vegetto said:

Thanks In Advance!

Content Editing:

- CPU - Intel, as many cores as affordable

- RAM - 64 gig (speed does not matter)

- GPU - NVIDIA - 1080 etc

- Mobo - lots of PCIe lanes and TWO M.2 slots

- Disk - M.2 Samsung 960 512 or 1 TB (boot and software), Any 2nd 1 TB M.2 (Video TEMP)

- Disk Large - Seagate IronWolf 6 TB++ whatever hold 4K project files and ASSET inventory

44 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Adobe Premier has strong support for GPU acceleration. Can be very valuable to get a high end GPU.

True, but having a top of the line GPU isn't necessary with proper support for a high end CPU.  

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor  ($309.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($73.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: *Team - Vulcan 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($259.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: *Western Digital - Black 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($198.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: *Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($75.18 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: *Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Turbo OC Video Card  ($499.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair - SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($35.79 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: *Rosewill - 600W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($89.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1638.57
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-07 22:44 EDT-0400

Edited by Mockingbird

33 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

And also, he is an ASUS motherboard fan...

Asus has literally made some of the worst motherboards recently.

The quality has definitely gone downhill.

In the meanwhile, AsRock (which used to be Asus's budget brand, but has since separated) is literally going the opposite direction and has recently been making some of the best motherboards.

33 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

@Mockingbird , I wouldnt go with that Rosewill PSU...

I mistook it for the Rosewill Capstone 650W that was previously on sale.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor  ($299.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($73.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: *Team - Vulcan 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($259.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: *Western Digital - Black 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($198.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: *Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($75.18 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: *Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Turbo OC Video Card  ($499.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1628.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-07 23:49 EDT-0400

Edited by Mockingbird

thanks for the input everyone. I was comparing the i7-7820x vs the Ryzen 1800x and Ryzen 7 does perform better. I just wanted to make sure I select the right processor since I am going to put money down.  As for the motherboard I have been using Asus for all my builds  and never had any issues.  I will sure be looking at a good graphic card since I am exploring the idea for VR usage.

I do alot of video and photo editing and I will be exploring 4K content creation. I do like to game little when I get the chance but for sure encoding/conversion. 

1 minute ago, vegetto said:

thanks for the input everyone. I was comparing the i7-7820x vs the Ryzen 1800x and Ryzen 7 does perform better. I just wanted to make sure I select the right processor since I am going to put money down.  As for the motherboard I have been using Asus for all my builds  and never had any issues.  I will sure be looking at a good graphic card since I am exploring the idea for VR usage.

I do alot of video and photo editing and I will be exploring 4K content creation. I do like to game little when I get the chance but for sure encoding/conversion. 

If you are looking for a workhorse of a workstation to do some of this work, check out AMD Threadrippers and Vega cards.  I have a Threadripper with a Vega Frontier edition and it eats up everything I put in front of it.  Unreal performance for the price.  

3 minutes ago, Nerd Rage said:

If you are looking for a workhorse of a workstation to do some of this work, check out AMD Threadrippers and Vega cards.  I have a Threadripper with a Vega Frontier edition and it eats up everything I put in front of it.  Unreal performance for the price.  

Which ThreadRipper do you have? I was looking at 1900x or 1920x? But the system boards are so freaken expensive!

25 minutes ago, GamerZon360 said:

Which ThreadRipper do you have? I was looking at 1900x or 1920x? But the system boards are so freaken expensive!

There is no point in getting a Ryzen Threadripper 1900X over a Ryzen 7 1800X unless you are just looking for extra PCIe lanes.

Edited by Mockingbird

30 minutes ago, Nerd Rage said:

Ryzen Threadripper 1950X is a monster, but it does come with a monster price tag (but still not as terrible as Intel's prices). It's an excellent product if you have the need for it.

Radeon RX Vega 64/ Vega Frontier Edition though is absolutely something I cannot recommend. It performs like a Geforce GTX 1080, but uses almost as much power as two Geforce GTX 1080.

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1950X 3.4GHz 16-Core Processor  ($979.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: *Noctua - NH-U9 TR4-SP3 78.9 CFM CPU Cooler  ($69.90 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Motherboard: *ASRock - X399 Taichi ATX TR4 Motherboard  ($333.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: *Corsair - Vengeance LED 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($291.16 @ Amazon) 
Storage: *Western Digital - Black PCIe 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: *Toshiba - P300 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($61.97 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: *Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Turbo OC Video Card  ($499.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.90 @ Newegg) 
Total: $2552.56
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-08 00:31 EDT-0400

^ I personally can't imagine a $1k Threadripper is going to be that much faster (in noticeable performance) than an i7 that's less than half that price.  I could be way wrong on that, but I think that money is better spent elsewhere.  I'd also recommend a Samsung M.2 SSD over the WD, but that's just personal preference.  Lastly, I don't know if 32GB of RAM is really necessary.  Even with encoding and whatnot, I would think that 16GB is more than enough.  Start with 16GB and upgrade later if it's really needed.  RAM prices on DDR4 will surely some down in a year or two.

Take all that as nothing more than matter of opinion.

7 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

^ I personally can't imagine a $1k Threadripper is going to be that much faster (in noticeable performance) than an i7 that's less than half that price.  I could be way wrong on that, but I think that money is better spent elsewhere.  I'd also recommend a Samsung M.2 SSD over the WD, but that's just personal preference.  Lastly, I don't know if 32GB of RAM is really necessary.  Even with encoding and whatnot, I would think that 16GB is more than enough.  Start with 16GB and upgrade later if it's really needed.  RAM prices on DDR4 will surely some down in a year or two.

Ryzen Threadripper 1950X is the most powerful desktop processor you can possibly buy.

14 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

Even if you suggest that he buy something cheaper, Ryzen 7 is much better value than Core i7 for video editing

Also, 32GB DDR4 really comes in handy when processing 4K videos.

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

@Mockingbird , I wouldnt go with that Rosewill PSU...

And also, he is an ASUS motherboard fan...

I have a Rosewill PSU (Hive Series) and have been extremely happy with it, been running it for 5 years. You do realize that brands like Corsair, EVGA, Cooler master and ThermalTake don't make their PSU's Seasonic is the only major brand PSU that actually manufactures their own PSU's

2 minutes ago, CrossCheck said:

I have a Rosewill PSU (Hive Series) and have been extremely happy with it, been running it for 5 years. You do realize that brands like Corsair, EVGA, Cooler master and ThermalTake don't make their PSU's Seasonic is the only major brand PSU that actually manufactures their own PSU's

There are a few good OEMs like Seasonic, CWT, Super Flower, and Delta.

20 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

4K Video Editing is primary reason for upgrade.

64 gig is good for that.

1 hour ago, Mockingbird said:

There is no point in getting a Ryzen Threadripper 1900X over a Ryzen 7 1800X unless you are just looking for extra PCIe lanes.

Extra PCIe lanes are important for I/O.

Two M.2 x4 SSD is 8 lanes.

Plugging more x4 M.2 into expansion slots can be good for more fast I/O.

Large 4K video files streaming from 1 SSD to another SSD is the workflow for video editing and making that fast as possible is a good thing.

10 minutes ago, CrossCheck said:

Often it is possible to find out which OEM is inside the box. The top end EVGA have traditionally used Super Flowers.

1 hour ago, Nerd Rage said:

Are you using the Vega for Video Editing Acceleration?

It is vital to make sure the version of Adobe Premier he is using supports the specific video cards.

This is not the world of Gaming here. Last time I checked, NVIDIA had far better support (and performance) for video editing acceleration.

10 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Ryzen Threadripper 1950X is the most powerful desktop processor you can possibly buy.

assuming your right... it's $1k which is WAY too much for a CPU if you ask me considering you can build a entire PC for that price and have a pretty good one at that.

i think even half of that $1k is too much for a CPU as, if you ask me, it's mostly about finding that sweet spot between price/performance in general (i realize the OP apparently has $$$ to burn and all, but still). i can't see paying more than around $300 tops for a CPU as your better off getting a reasonably priced CPU and then saving the $$$ for a future build as it's a more efficient use of your $$$ this way.

but money aside, 16 cores with 32 threads sure looks nice but it seems like overkill currently as i can't see too many things taking advantage of that, especially to the point there is any major benefit over what CPU's half of that price or less can't do more than well enough. like what can that CPU do that a CPU at half of that price or less can't? ; i can't imagine many people benefiting enough from that CPU to justify it's costs. but if you got money to burn then i guess you ain't got much to lose and should have a powerful PC for quite a few years into the future especially if what your doing really takes advantage of many cores.

p.s. it appears those CPU's are fairly large compared to what i am used to. about a credit card or so in size it seems.