New Rig Build $2500 Maybe Little Bit More

4 hours ago, GamerZon360 said:

Thank you all for the input on this subject and please lets not fight on this thread. My goal wasn't to get people fighting, it was to get comments and thoughts on what is good processor out there. Both Intel and AMD have there features on there processor and both are good in there own ways. I have provide a bit more details on what my config might look like when I put it together. Maybe this will help you and me to make the final decision and move forward. Thank you again soon much for your time and help on this subject.

Case: Corsair 760T Full Tower (White)

Case Fans: Corsair HD RGB 120 or 140

System Board: Pending

Processor: Pending

Processor Cooling: Corsair Hydro Dual Radiator Liquid Cooling (H115i or H100 v2)

Graphic Card: Nvidia 1080 atleast and (No SLI Needed, Just Single Card)

System Ram: Pending (looking to start with 32GB)

Power Supply: Pending

SSD: at least 2 or 3 Samsung NVMe M.2 Drives (One Boot and One Project)

HHD: WD or Segate for Storage 

Optical Drive: None 

Sound Card: Optional 

Hope this help you guys and in the end I will get my answers, thanks Team

Josh 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor  ($309.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI - X370 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($141.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: *Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($134.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($117.60 @ B&H) 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($117.60 @ B&H) 
Storage: *Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($75.18 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card  ($523.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Corsair - 760T Black V2 ATX Full Tower Case  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($89.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1801.19
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-08 16:23 EDT-0400

Thank you so much guys for all your input. I knew this was the right place to get the discussion going. I know the Intel vs AMD battle will continue on, but at the current moment I believe AMD gives you more for your money. Sure the table can turn, but I think with this competition from AMD it will be good for us consumers when it comes to getting what we want. It is true you get what you pay for, but at the same time you also need to make sure you spend your money wisely.

As it currently stand it looks like the Ryzen 1700x is the front runner. The Threadripper is a monster of a processor but that is good if you have the software to take advantage of all the cores. Plus with my config I don't this I need all those 64 PCIe lanes. 

Again thank you for the advice and I will look over the recommendation and do some more research and I will be sure to come back and give you guys an update. 

Josh :)  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, GamerZon360 said:

Processor Cooling: Corsair Hydro Dual Radiator Liquid Cooling (H115i or H100 v2)

Hope this help you guys and in the end I will get my answers, thanks Team

Josh 

I have a 115i and i have to admit i love it. ofc your case has to be able to house the 280mm rad and dual 140s on it, but its leaps and bounds better than the old 100, the Corsair cases do, i have a 400C personally.

2 minutes ago, Mando said:

I have a 115i and i have to admit i love it. ofc your case has to be able to house the 280mm rad and dual 140s on it, but its leaps and bounds better than the old 100, the Corsair cases do, i have a 400C personally.

Very nice glad to hear a live review of the unit, thank you!

Just now, GamerZon360 said:

Very nice glad to hear a live review of the unit, thank you!

nps i have the 140mm fans sitting at 600rpm in windows and let them ramp up to 1k rpm if cpu goes above 50C in my sig, tbh the pump in the AIO and double rad is enough to keep the 7700k nice and cool. 

temps after 20mins uptime and general web surfing. even gaming at 4k with my 1080ti the CPU never goes past 55C 

temps.thumb.jpg.710b2762e17c811ab0027b74fcbc1580.jpg

31 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

See, I am so embedded in the AMD camp, I may as well build my house here. The Intel vs AMD debate bores and annoys me on the grounds of real time use and even top tier gaming, AMD can, and to the best of my knowledge keep up, and I'm talking about fx chips. Benchmark figures mean diddly squat to me, as only the most nerdy of nerds care about those.

Another aspect I love is the cost tradeoff, OK so the fx9590 cannot keep up with it's rival Intel flagship chip, but it doesn't cost anywhere near as much neither.

Correction:

It was nagging at the back of my brain so I looked into it and I got the quote attribution completely backwards.

https://epsnews.com/2013/10/04/happened-real-men-fabs/

"Real Men Own Fabs" was the actual statement by Jerry Sanders the co-founder and original CEO of AMD.

AMD spun off their Fab to Global Foundries which was then bought by Abu Dhabi, the favorite mailing destination of Garfield the Cat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_semiconductor_fabrication_plants

Intel owns 14 Fabs, and made the Trumps news recently:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/08/intel-arizona-factory-7-billion-3000-jobs-fab-42/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mando said:

Is the H115i better than the H100i V2 because of some design differences or is it simply because it's bigger?

9 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Is the H115i better than the H100i V2 because of some design differences or is it simply because it's bigger?

bigger rad (280mm v 240mm) and higher rated pump i think, also with the 140mm fans they dont spin so high for same cooling effect. I can disable the 140mm fans and see only a rise of 5-10C max in light loads, leaving just the pump running perf mode.

with any kind of active cooling, the bigger the cooling surface is always better, greater heat dissipation.  

im at a stage of considering removing my 2 exhaust fans from the case tbh, with the 1080ti sucking its own heat out the case and the 115i removing any escaped ambient heat from the CPU, they rarely kick in, ive set them on the ROG mobo to only kick in if the CPU hits 50C, the ambient temps in the rest of the case never goes above the ambient room temp...thats impressive :) 

for example all 6 ssds in the 400C never get warmer than 26C

22 minutes ago, GamerZon360 said:

Thank you so much guys for all your input. I knew this was the right place to get the discussion going. I know the Intel vs AMD battle will continue on, but at the current moment I believe AMD gives you more for your money. Sure the table can turn, but I think with this competition from AMD it will be good for us consumers when it comes to getting what we want. It is true you get what you pay for, but at the same time you also need to make sure you spend your money wisely.

As it currently stand it looks like the Ryzen 1700x is the front runner. The Threadripper is a monster of a processor but that is good if you have the software to take advantage of all the cores. Plus with my config I don't this I need all those 64 PCIe lanes. 

Again thank you for the advice and I will look over the recommendation and do some more research and I will be sure to come back and give you guys an update. 

Josh :)  

Ignoring the CPU issue which I can't in good conscience suggest for Video Editing as a primary task, the GPU issue might warrant some thought. 

That fact that two 1060's provide more performance than a single 1080 suggests that two 1070 might strike a balance between Video Editing and VR work better than a single 1080. Unknown since the 1070 was not tested in that GPU ranking. The 20x performance boost is only available of course in software that supports it but it is so significant when available that it swamps the CPU issue.

Video Editing has CPU/GPU bottlenecks particularly for Filter processing and massive I/O bottlenecks depending on length of video and resolution. There is no point to having fast drives if there are no PCIe lanes to support them but the rough first count I made seems to permit any of the modern motherboards enough Lanes, but still worth a double check in case I missed something.

I don't think you are on track for a smooth 4K video editing experience but most Editing Professionals get around that problem by working with media at lower resolution and then generating 4K output in the final encoding stage.

21 minutes ago, Mando said:

bigger rad (280mm v 240mm) and higher rated pump i think, also with the 140mm fans they dont spin so high for same cooling effect. I can disable the 140mm fans and see only a rise of 5-10C max in light loads, leaving just the pump running perf mode.

with any kind of active cooling, the bigger the cooling surface is always better, greater heat dissipation.  

im at a stage of considering removing my 2 exhaust fans from the case tbh, with the 1080ti sucking its own heat out the case and the 115i removing any escaped ambient heat from the CPU, they rarely kick in, ive set them on the ROG mobo to only kick in if the CPU hits 50C, the ambient temps in the rest of the case never goes above the ambient room temp...thats impressive :) 

for example all 6 ssds in the 400C never get warmer than 26C

Well, if I want to liquid cooled something in my computer, it would be the graphic card since it runs the hottest.

The problem is that there simply aren't many closed loop liquid coolers for graphic cards.

I don't liquid cooled my processor because it doesn't run that hot anyway.

Now, if I have Ryzen Threadripper, I would put it under liquid cooling.

7 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Well, if I want to liquid cooled something in my computer, it would be the graphic card since it runs the hottest.

The problem is that there simply aren't many closed loop liquid coolers for graphic cards.

I don't liquid cooled my processor because it doesn't run that hot anyway.

If I have Ryzen Threadripper, I would put it under liquid cooling, but I don't.

The 7700k is the first CPU ive liquid cooled tbh, all my previous intels (2600k, Q6600 etc) i always stuck to large Zalman coolers, but i wanted to go silent computing, so the hybrid cooler made sense.

EVGA have a hybrid AIO cooler for the GPU core on 10 series GPUs (and olde rmodels available also), £150 and it comes with a new EVGA shroud for my card.

The vapour chamber on the stock 1080ti is removed and the water block added to core, leaving the original single fan cooling ram and mosfets, at a much lower RPM than stock, thanks to a new fan resistor in the kit. my FE came direct from EVGA and after checking, fitting this to it, does not invalidate my EVGA warranty :D 

Ive not had a Nvidia card since before a 660ti that needed any special cooling, my 1080ti never hits 60C tbvh, but ill custom liquid cool it eventually just for silence :) (and ability to clock my EVGA FE by up to 40% core post AIO fitting) once its required.

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=400-HY-5598-B1

6 minutes ago, Mando said:

The 7700k is the first CPU ive liquid cooled tbh, all my previous intels (2600k, Q6600 etc) i always stuck to large Zalman coolers, but i wanted to go silent computing, so the hybrid cooler made sense.

EVGA have a hybrid AIO cooler for the GPU core on 10 series GPUs (and olde rmodels available also), £150 and it comes with a new EVGA shroud for my card.

The vapour chamber on the stock 1080ti is removed and the water block added to core, leaving the original single fan cooling ram and mosfets, at a much lower RPM than stock, thanks to a new fan resistor in the kit. my FE came direct from EVGA and after checking, fitting this to it, does not invalidate my EVGA warranty :D 

Ive not had a Nvidia card since before a 660ti that needed any special cooling, my 1080ti never hits 60C tbvh, but ill custom liquid cool it eventually just for silence :) (and ability to clock my EVGA FE by up to 40% core post AIO fitting) once its required.

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=400-HY-5598-B1

Mine is from Zotac, so no luck for me.

2 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Mine is from Zotac, so no luck for me.

ive seen custom mods using the Corsair AIO coolers on Nvidia cards (the 120mm rad is plenty), but without the shroud it looks too slap dash for my liking, i like how on my EVGA card they supply a whole new shroud with cutouts for the cooler pipes so it looks like a retail offering.

OP

This is a little late to the party, and this information is most likely out of date, as I cannot find the source anymore, but in video editing, with 6 channel audio and all the other bells and whistles, I was told the big simpleton AMD chips are better suited to the task. But as of right now, this is basically heresay, unless I happen to find the link to which I'm referring, in which case, I'll add it to a later post.

30 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

OP

This is a little late to the party, and this information is most likely out of date, as I cannot find the source anymore, but in video editing, with 6 channel audio and all the other bells and whistles, I was told the big simpleton AMD chips are better suited to the task. But as of right now, this is basically heresay, unless I happen to find the link to which I'm referring, in which case, I'll add it to a later post.

People that do Video Editing for a living:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CC-2017-1-2-CPU-Comparison-Skylake-X-Kaby-Lake-X-Broadwell-E-Kaby-Lake-Ryzen-7-969/

and

http://ppbm8.com/CPU/CPU.html

1 hour ago, Mando said:

ive seen custom mods using the Corsair AIO coolers on Nvidia cards (the 120mm rad is plenty), but without the shroud it looks too slap dash for my liking, i like how on my EVGA card they supply a whole new shroud with cutouts for the cooler pipes so it looks like a retail offering.

Corsair sells adapter plates to convert their CPU coolers to GPU coolers. I still prefer a custom setup, rather than a closed loop, but that is my preference.

20 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

There is no point in getting a Ryzen Threadripper 1900X over a Ryzen 7 1800X unless you are just looking for extra PCIe lanes.

I agree.  He should get the one with 16 cores.  I'm pretty happy with my 1800x, and I'll never be able to upgrade it because I'm using a Mini-ITX mobo, but damn it would be nice to cut my video encoding time in half.

5 hours ago, DevTech said:

Ignoring the CPU issue which I can't in good conscience suggest for Video Editing as a primary task, the GPU issue might warrant some thought. 

That fact that two 1060's provide more performance than a single 1080 suggests that two 1070 might strike a balance between Video Editing and VR work better than a single 1080. Unknown since the 1070 was not tested in that GPU ranking. The 20x performance boost is only available of course in software that supports it but it is so significant when available that it swamps the CPU issue.

Video Editing has CPU/GPU bottlenecks particularly for Filter processing and massive I/O bottlenecks depending on length of video and resolution. There is no point to having fast drives if there are no PCIe lanes to support them but the rough first count I made seems to permit any of the modern motherboards enough Lanes, but still worth a double check in case I missed something.

I don't think you are on track for a smooth 4K video editing experience but most Editing Professionals get around that problem by working with media at lower resolution and then generating 4K output in the final encoding stage.

DevTech, thanks for all the info (very useful) and it sounds to me you are pushing for Intel processor? Lol all my builds that I have put together in the past have been Intel and part of me wants to stick with Intel, that's why I was looking at the i7-7820x. But if you put feelings/fanboy aside it would make more since at the moment that AMD Processors are better for the picking. Heck I am evening running an Intel Processor at the moment (Sandy-Bridge i7-3820).

Can you recommend me an Intel Processor that will fit my needs and will not cost me an arm/leg? Also are x299 boards that bad? I did read somewhere that Sky-Lake Intel processor are better, true?

My man concern also is that I don't want to buy a processor/board and half of the features are turned off, then I am getting screwed for my money. 

Thanks again for your time and input.

Josh 

This is the system I built end of last year

Asus Maximux ix Formula

Intel 7600x i5

Corsair Platinum ddr4 3333MHz

Corsair H115i

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Corsair Obsidian 750d case

Corsair RM750x Gold PSU

Samsung 960 Evo 1TB

was going to go with a ekwb setup, but for now my temps even at over clock are around 26*C on average.  I don't have a 4k monitor yet, maybe xmas.

3 hours ago, Darrian said:

I agree.  He should get the one with 16 cores.  I'm pretty happy with my 1800x, and I'll never be able to upgrade it because I'm using a Mini-ITX mobo, but damn it would be nice to cut my video encoding time in half.

Which motherboard are you using for for your Ryzen 7 1800X?

I think there is only five mini-ITX motherboards for Ryzen: two from AsRock, two from Biostar, and one from Gigabyte.

8 minutes ago, Darrian said:

I'm using the Gigabyte board. I bought everything except the board and waited several weeks for them to release it.

I had thought about making a mini-ITX build, but I was concerned about cooling it so I ended up with a mid-tower.

5 hours ago, Circaflex said:

Corsair sells adapter plates to convert their CPU coolers to GPU coolers. I still prefer a custom setup, rather than a closed loop, but that is my preference.

That problem is that it is available for only a few GPUs.

I got my CPU off eBay because I found someone selling OEM chips that included the Wraith cooler. My case is somewhat large for a Mini-ITX build, too (Jonsbo VR-1), so plenty of room for air flow.

3 minutes ago, Darrian said:

I got my CPU off eBay because I found someone selling OEM chips that included the Wraith cooler. My case is somewhat large for a Mini-ITX build, too (Jonsbo VR-1), so plenty of room for air flow.

I do see what you mean.

That case is so big that it barely qualifies as a mini ITX.