Falcon 9: Iridium NEXT #3 (21-30) (mission thread)

If the Echostar 105/SES-11 launch date holds, we may be in for another double header.

F9: Iridium NEXT #3 (21-30)

Core Number 1041.1
Launch Djate: October 4
Launch Time:0606 PDT, 0906 EDT, 1306 UTC 
Stage Landing: ASDS 'Just Read the Instructions'
Iridium Plane: 4

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pretty launch/landing.  2nd stage cut off ... coast phase for about 40 minutes (so I guess around 930 est for the Iridium deployments?) 

• Like 1

SpaceX is making this look routine. We like routine. So does Mil/Gov and Commercial. :yes: 

I have yet to actually watch the launch, though. Just saw Twitter stuff with pics saying it went fine. I'll watch in a bit.

18 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

SpaceX is making this look routine. We like routine.

I was just thinking that when I watched the first stage land. It is soon going to get to the point where your as excited to see a S1 land as you are a passenger airliner, ie not at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, anthdci said:

I was just thinking that when I watched the first stage land. It is soon going to get to the point where your as excited to see a S1 land as you are a passenger airliner, ie not at all.

I don't know, I still get excited when planes land and take off and they're not even on fire. :)

9 hours ago, DocM said:

Methinks seeing that big BFR booster and the BFS spaceship land might get some people's blood pumping again.

I'll be happy when I see two boosters side by side and one on a ship, can't wait for Heavy

9 hours ago, DocM said:

Methinks seeing that big BFR booster and the BFS spaceship land might get some people's blood pumping again.

I'm with +John, seeing 2 side boosters from the falcon heavy coming down at the same time will be enough. i really hope they get the demo flight ready for when im over there in january but im not expecting it now.

On 10/10/2017 at 2:36 AM, DocM said:

This one was about a minute quicker between launch and Landing than most of the others. Have to see what the scuttlebutt is about that.

Hey Doc did we find out why it was a whole minute quicker?

Basically,  there was no desire to land it overweight. This was a light payload and, as usual, thely launch with a flull propellant load.

This time the ASDS was placed closer to the range so the stage could do a long boost back burn and thereby use up excess propellants. A boosting rocket moves much faster than the coasting rocket, so...