Sign in to follow this  

Attorney: Tests show Aaron Hernandez had CTE

techbeck    4,974

Aaron Hernandez, the former NFL star who took his life while serving a murder sentence in prison, had chronic traumatic encephalopathy -- commonly known as CTE -- attorney Jose Baez said Thursday.

Baez cited study results compiled by the Boston University CTE Center, which examined Hernandez's brain for the neurodegenerative brain disease.

More....

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/21/health/aaron-hernandez-cte/index.html

wakjak    6,878

I don't understand why the NFL is still allowed to be a thing when CTE is so rampant.

+Fulcrum    177
15 hours ago, wakjak said:

I don't understand why the NFL is still allowed to be a thing when CTE is so rampant.

Political contributions.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Astra.Xtreme    2,089
15 hours ago, wakjak said:

Because the players know darn right what they are getting into.  The NFL isn't putting a gun to their head and forcing them to take millions of dollars in exchange for bodily wear and tear.

• Haha 1

mudslag    4,392
18 hours ago, wakjak said:

• Like 1

DocM    12,625
On 9/21/2017 at 10:03 PM, wakjak said:

Any sport where there is a possibility of a concussion can put players at risk for CTE - even soccer, especially those players who do "headers". Baseball players can get hit by pitches, or infielder's can be hit by batted balls - especially pitchers.

There is no such thing as "safe."  All you can really do is develop better headgear, which the NFL is doing, and mandate its use, even in soccer and non-contact sports.

techbeck    4,974
On 9/22/2017 at 0:42 PM, Astra.Xtreme said:

Because the players know darn right what they are getting into.  The NFL isn't putting a gun to their head and forcing them to take millions of dollars in exchange for bodily wear and tear.

Pretty much.  This is not a surprise anymore and all NFL players should be aware of the risks.  But to lots of people, money trumps injury.

• Like 1