Jerry Jones gives Cowboys players ultimatum: Stand for anthem or sit for game


 Share

Recommended Posts

Jim K
12 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Me to....but I can also see how a lot of people would become offended by this and see it as disrespectful.  As soon as a large group of people take offense to something and it causes more division, things need to be rethought.

 

I am still interested to know how many of these 200+ players or doing something other than just standing around.   Like I said before, standing around does nothing to solve issues.

 

And now I am just repeating myself.  I do respect people's opinion here but I have my own and will leave it at that.

Well...the 200+ players did it to protest Trump and his comments.  Instead of addressing the root cause/reasoning of the kneeling.  I'm terrible at analogies ... but think of Trump as a cop.  He gets called to a house that has been broken into.  All he does is talk about the lock and people shouldn't be breaking in doors ... while totally ignoring the murder scene within the house.

 

Kinda like that.  Addressing just the kneeling ... not the reason why players are kneeling.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Astra.Xtreme

First and foremost, people are simply tired of sports being painted into a political stage.  These people are paid to play a game, and if they want to ramble about social events, they should be doing it on their own time.

 

But it's also worth noting that many people are confused about who these people are protesting against the first place.  It all started with one guy trying to make a statement about racial inequality and police brutality, but who is he up against?  Last I checked, minorities in the USA are more privileged and treated more equally than ever before in this country's history.  Sure there is still progress to be made, but the population isn't fighting against them.  The high crime rates and constant victim mentality aren't helping their case.  There are far bigger problems that are being ignored.  Not to mention these complaints are coming from millionaires in an extremely rich and successful league that comprises of something like 80% minorities.  Again, who are they fighting against?  If they want to make a difference, they should start a foundation and go out into their communities.  Complaining on national TV does nothing but divide people.  Little to no progress.  Going out in the community, and connecting to the people that look up to them, makes a huge difference.

 

The national anthem is about the people that fought for this country and shaped it into the great and diverse country it is today.  "We the people" means everybody from every culture and nationality that stand together as Americans.  Protesting against the bigger picture isn't the place for a small social issue.  The media thrives on social divide and this mess is only making us go backwards.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

oldtimefighter
1 hour ago, techbeck said:

For Veterans who are taking offense to this, not standing and kneeling is the same thing as stomping on the flag.  Disrespect is disrespect no matter how you look at it.  You do not need to do a physical act to show disrespect towards something.

What? No it is not... LOL These protests have NOTHING to do with the flag or the anthem. People who block streets during an act of civil disobedience are not protesting streets.

 

Are you the official spokesperson for ALL veterans or something? I heard from DOZENS of actual veterans (some I know personally) who have said they have no problem with the protests and in fact that is why they fought which is to preserve our freedoms.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

techbeck
6 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

 I heard from DOZENS of actual veterans (some I know personally) who have said they have no problem with the protests and in fact that is why they fought which is to preserve our freedoms.

Well, congrats.  I have heard from many family/friends who think differently.   There are always people for/against things things but does not mean it is not an issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites

techbeck

Anyway, looks like hte Dolphins are following suit.  (Y)

Link to post
Share on other sites

oldtimefighter
2 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Well, congrats.  I have heard from many family/friends who think differently.   There are always people for/against things things but does not mean it is not an issue.

My point it's irrelevant if some veterans find it disrespectful... We have certain freedoms in this country so sorry.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

techbeck
3 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

My point it's irrelevant if some veterans find it disrespectful...

No, it not irrelevant.  Just because people have the right does not make it the right thing to do.  That excuse is way over played.

1 hour ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

First and foremost, people are simply tired of sports being painted into a political stage.  These people are paid to play a game, and if they want to ramble about social events, they should be doing it on their own time.

 

But it's also worth noting that many people are confused about who these people are protesting against the first place.  It all started with one guy trying to make a statement about racial inequality and police brutality, but who is he up against?  Last I checked, minorities in the USA are more privileged and treated more equally than ever before in this country's history.  Sure there is still progress to be made, but the population isn't fighting against them.  The high crime rates and constant victim mentality aren't helping their case.  There are far bigger problems that are being ignored.  Not to mention these complaints are coming from millionaires in an extremely rich and successful league that comprises of something like 80% minorities.  Again, who are they fighting against?  If they want to make a difference, they should start a foundation and go out into their communities.  Complaining on national TV does nothing but divide people.  Little to no progress.  Going out in the community, and connecting to the people that look up to them, makes a huge difference.

 

The national anthem is about the people that fought for this country and shaped it into the great and diverse country it is today.  "We the people" means everybody from every culture and nationality that stand together as Americans.  Protesting against the bigger picture isn't the place for a small social issue.  The media thrives on social divide and this mess is only making us go backwards.

(Y)

Link to post
Share on other sites

ncoday

Kinda hard to take these NFL players serious when quite a few are convicted felons. Of course they are not likely to have a favorable opinion of the police!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

techbeck
5 minutes ago, ncoday said:

Kinda hard to take these NFL players serious when quite a few are convicted felons. Of course they are not likely to have a favorable opinion of the police!

 

That would only be the case if they all were convicted of something...even then, that is stretching it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

oldtimefighter
1 minute ago, techbeck said:

No, it not irrelevant.  Just because people have the right does not make it the right thing to do.  That excuse is way over played.

(Y)

In YOUR opinion it's not right.

 

Why did you quote that idiotic comment by @Astra.Xtreme? The jest was black people should shut up because they are ALMOST EQUAL and things are better than ever for them (debatable). Seriously?

 

 

6 minutes ago, ncoday said:

Kinda hard to take these NFL players serious when quite a few are convicted felons. Of course they are not likely to have a favorable opinion of the police!

 

Which profession doesn't have convicted felons again? Do you have stats showing the NFL has a higher rate of convicted felons than other professions? http://www.utdallas.edu/news/2015/8/25-31660_UT-Dallas-Criminologist-Tackles-Perception-of-NFL-_story-wide.html

 

The military does have exceptions to disallow convicted felons to serve but that is not absolute and in fact we do have convicted felons serving in the military. Oh yeah... It's not only convicted felons that have problems with law enforcement.

 

I know thinking is HARD but please try to make a better point in the future.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

techbeck
Just now, oldtimefighter said:

In YOUR opinion it's not right.

 

Why did you quote that idiotic comment by @Astra.Xtreme? The jest was black people should shut up because they are ALMOST EQUAL and things are better than ever for them (debatable). Seriously?

 

Never said it was anything other than my opinion and never said it was fact.

 

And if you are going to call people idiots, or they comments idiotic, for their opinions then, whatever.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

oldtimefighter
1 minute ago, techbeck said:

And if you are going to call people idiots, or they comments idiotic, for their opinions then, whatever.

There certainly are opinions and comments that are idiotic and that was one of them. I am NOT interested in debating it further.

Link to post
Share on other sites

techbeck
3 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

There certainly are opinions and comments that are idiotic and that was one of them. I am NOT interested in debating it further.

 

 Cannot have a convo without insults, then bye  :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mando

man, what irks me about it is,

Doesnt trump and pence (the retard gang) not understand being down on one knee is seen as an international mark of respect, pledging allegiance to a nation state or nations flag..... ignorant oranged faced baboons the pair of them.

 

I havnt seen this action once as a sign of disrespect, ignoring the anthem and flag and sitting on the bench would be 100x worse!

 

Pair of single celled amoebas the pair of them. If intelligence were sticks of dynamite, the two of them couldnt muster up a fart between them. Im sure if either of them were not upper class white mummies boys they might actually get the point of the peaceful protestation.

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Depicus

I thought players coming out for the anthem was a recent thing, does that make all the previous generations of NFL players anti military card carrying commies ?

 

Having served in the military (albeit British not US but with the US) I can tell you most people don't give a **** about an anthem or flag, they care about their friends so I'm not sure all veterans find this offensive. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Astra.Xtreme
1 hour ago, oldtimefighter said:

There certainly are opinions and comments that are idiotic and that was one of them. I am NOT interested in debating it further.

No surprise that it's you stooping to your typical name-calling tactics...  Do you even have the capacity for a civil discussion, or do you purposely not want to be taken seriously?
Regardless, way to cherry pick and completely ignore the central point of my comment...

Link to post
Share on other sites

techbeck
36 minutes ago, Depicus said:

 I'm not sure all veterans find this offensive. 

I don't think anyone here has said all Veterans find it offensive. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mando

Watch 3mins 34 seconds in, this is what the world sees him as....can someone tell the senile old goat, hes not on the apprentice anymore.......

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nerd Rage
24 minutes ago, techbeck said:

30 percent of NFL fans are watching less — and most blame anthem protests

http://nypost.com/2017/10/05/30-percent-of-nfl-fans-are-watching-less-and-most-blame-anthem-protests/

 

Yup, when sports become political, it's definitely a turnoff for me.  If the players want to stand up for minority rights and against police violence against minorities, setup some approved protests outside major police stations or meaningful political locations.  Disrespecting veterans is not the correct way to advance a cause.  It appears they are actually detracting from their causes by doing it the way they are. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

oldtimefighter
1 hour ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

No surprise that it's you stooping to your typical name-calling tactics...  Do you even have the capacity for a civil discussion, or do you purposely not want to be taken seriously?
Regardless, way to cherry pick and completely ignore the central point of my comment...

I have to be nice to people that make racist comments? Who knew? Please look at yourself and the dumb ###### that comes out of your mouth if YOU want to be taken seriously.

 

Note - I realize it will be me who is banned from comments as that is the way Neowin works.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

+Dick Montage
43 minutes ago, Nerd Rage said:

Disrespecting veterans is not the correct way to advance a cause.

They are NOT "disrespecting veterans", that is the rhetoric that you're being fed by those who wish this to not continue.  They are standing up for and honoring what these veterans fought for.  

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Depicus
1 hour ago, techbeck said:

I don't think anyone here has said all Veterans find it offensive. 

"...The men and women (veterans) who got ###### off for people standing and who took offense to it...."

 

I think you did........

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Astra.Xtreme
42 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

I have to be nice to people that make racist comments? Who knew? Please look at yourself and the dumb ###### that comes out of your mouth if YOU want to be taken seriously.

 

Note - I realize it will be me who is banned from comments as that is the way Neowin works.

Oh really, so now my "dumb ######" comment is racist?  Please please explain that one for us.  I'm very interested in hearing what you have to say on that one...

 

First personal attack tactics and now you're wrongfully pulling the race card?  Do you even listen to yourself?  All that without even the slightest attempt at providing an explanation or adding to the conversation.  If you're just going to run your mouth with childish remarks, don't waste our time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nerd Rage
43 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

They are NOT "disrespecting veterans", that is the rhetoric that you're being fed by those who wish this to not continue.  They are standing up for and honoring what these veterans fought for.  

It might not be their intention, but standing for the national anthem, for me personally, is showing respect for the people who fought for the rights I have today.  I don't think many people think that standing for the National Anthem means that you agree with everything that is happening in the country..........

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By zikalify
      Amazon Prime Video lands exclusive NFL broadcast rights
      by Paul Hill



      Amazon Prime Video has made history today by becoming the first digital streaming service to get exclusive national broadcasting rights to several NFL programs. The pair have signed a ten-year deal which is set to begin in 2023 and will allow Amazon to exclusively broadcast 15 Thursday Night Football games and one pre-season game per year on Prime Video in the U.S.

      Commenting on the deal, Mike Hopkins, SVP of Prime Video and Amazon Studios, said:

      For its part, the NFL said that it was “thrilled” to have signed the agreement with Amazon because it will help get the games out to more fans on more platforms that support Amazon Prime Video.

      As part of the deal, Prime Video will provide viewers with pre-game, half-time, and post-game shows as well as interactive features such as X-Ray and Next Gen Stats. Additionally, Amazon is allowed to show a weekly slate of original NFL programming and has access to in-game highlights to all NFL games.

      For those without access to Prime Video, NFL has said it will continue to broadcast games on television in the participating teams’ home markets.

    • By LoneWolfSL
      BioWare cancels Anthem rework to focus on Mass Effect and Dragon Age
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

      The multiplayer action RPG Anthem had been undergoing a major redesign behind closed doors at BioWare since early last year, with the studio going back to the drawing board to "reinvent the core gameplay loop" following the poor reception to its latest IP. However, all plans for this overhauled version have now been canceled.

      Today, BioWare Austin head Christian Dailey revealed in a blog post that the studio had made the "difficult decision" to stop the development of the redesign project - dubbed Anthem NEXT. "While we continue to make progress against all our game projects at BioWare, working from home during the pandemic has had an impact on our productivity and not everything we had planned as a studio before COVID-19 can be accomplished without putting undue stress on our teams," explained Dailey.

      While Anthem's journey has come to an end, the famed RPG studio is currently working on fresh entries for its Mass Effect and Dragon Age franchises as well as a Mass Effect trilogy remaster as new projects. "Game development is hard," added Dailey. "Decisions like these are not easy. Moving forward, we need to laser focus our efforts as a studio and strengthen the next Dragon Age, and Mass Effect titles while continuing to provide quality updates to Star Wars: The Old Republic."

      Anthem will still remain playable online in its current state for the time being, though as explained, no more updates will arrive for the troubled title. The studio did not say if there's a planned date for a future server shutdown.

    • By LoneWolfSL
      BioWare loses its general manager and Dragon Age executive producer
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

      BioWare today announced that two major pillars of its development teams are leaving the company, with studio veterans Casey Hudson and Mark Darrah exiting. Their latest positions had Hudson serving as the BioWare general manager while Darrah was the Dragon Age executive producer, both touts over two decades of experience at the company. No changes are being made to the projects in development at the studio.

      "It’s not an easy decision to make, and big changes like this always come with a certain degree of sadness," said Casey Hudson in a farewell blog post. "I will miss being able to work every day with our inspiring developers on the biggest and most exciting projects I can imagine. But I also know that this is a good time for a change, for both myself and BioWare."

      A separate blog post from Mark Darrah added the following:

      The BioWare Austin studio director Christian Dailey will be taking over the duties of Darrah at being the Dragon Age executive producer. Meanwhile. the senior director of development operations Gary McKay will serve as the BioWare interim general manager while a new soul is being searched for the position.

      BioWare is currently developing the next Dragon Age game, a new Mass Effect entry, remasters of the original Mass Effect trilogy, as well as an Anthem reboot. The studio saw two high-level departures last year also, with Anthem Lead Producer Ben Irving and the Dragon Age Lead Producer Fernando Melo exiting BioWare.

    • By Jay Bonggolto
      NFL will virtually bring fans into stadiums via Microsoft Teams
      by Jay Bonggolto

      Microsoft announced today that it will provide virtual game day experiences to NFL fans using Teams as part of efforts to observe health standards amid the COVID-19 pandemic. The NFL will display spectators on LED screens in stadiums and on broadcast during key games.

      Fans will be featured via a virtual feed called Fan Mosaic, where the home team can invite them to watch games together through a VIP Teams meeting. They will also see the live game alongside a gallery view of other spectators in a dual screen display. Audio from the Teams meetings will be mixed with augmented crowd noise tailored for each stadium.

      The NFL will also install LED screens at each end zone in key games to let the players celebrate moments with fans when they score a touchdown. For each touchdown celebration, players can see the Fan Mosaic on the LED screens and connect with fans through the Bud Light Showtime cam.

      Teams will also be used by the league to manage operations throughout the season every week as the number of representatives onsite will be reduced. The NFL staff will use the videoconferencing tool for communication, document collaboration, and reporting, among others.

      Microsoft and NFL have been working since 2013 on many initiatives to provide support to coaching staff and referees as well as improve the fan experience. That partnership was extended earlier this year.

    • By Rich Woods
      Microsoft is extending its Surface deal with the NFL
      by Rich Woods

      Image via AP Today, Microsoft announced a multi-year extension of its partnership with the NFL, which has provided Surface hardware to the league since 2013. While there have been hiccups in the partnership over that time, such as with announcers calling them iPads or Patriots coach Bill Belichick ranting about them, it seems that those hiccups were exactly that.



      Aside from that extension, the partnership will also include Microsoft Teams, the company's collaboration service. Teams will be able to use Teams (pun intended) for general collaboration, for drawing up plays with Whiteboard integration, and more. In fact, several teams are already using Teams.

      "Since 2013, Microsoft has helped transform the NFL through technology around our game. Microsoft Surface has quickly become an authentic tool to the game of football and is vital during all NFL games for coaches, players, and NFL officials.," said Renie Anderson, Chief Revenue Officer and Executive Vice President of NFL Partnerships. "And now by working together to integrate Microsoft Teams across the League, together we aim to improve on communications and collaboration in a modern way."

      The Miami Dolphins used Teams to plan Super Bowl LIV at Hard Rock Stadium, the New York Jets use it for their football and business operations, including the draft, and the Kansas City Chiefs use it to coordinate scouts.

      "In Microsoft Teams we can easily collaborate on files, manage shared calendars, host meetings, and utilize existing integrations," said Kim Rometo, Vice President and Chief Information Officer for the Miami Dolphins. "Teams made cooperation with the NFL possible throughout the regular season and with Super Bowl planning."

      Microsoft says it will continue supporting the Surface Sideline Viewing System and the Surface Instant Replay, and it will continue to develop new solutions for teams and for the league.