Jerry Jones gives Cowboys players ultimatum: Stand for anthem or sit for game

12 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Me to....but I can also see how a lot of people would become offended by this and see it as disrespectful.  As soon as a large group of people take offense to something and it causes more division, things need to be rethought.

I am still interested to know how many of these 200+ players or doing something other than just standing around.   Like I said before, standing around does nothing to solve issues.

And now I am just repeating myself.  I do respect people's opinion here but I have my own and will leave it at that.

Well...the 200+ players did it to protest Trump and his comments.  Instead of addressing the root cause/reasoning of the kneeling.  I'm terrible at analogies ... but think of Trump as a cop.  He gets called to a house that has been broken into.  All he does is talk about the lock and people shouldn't be breaking in doors ... while totally ignoring the murder scene within the house.

Kinda like that.  Addressing just the kneeling ... not the reason why players are kneeling.

First and foremost, people are simply tired of sports being painted into a political stage.  These people are paid to play a game, and if they want to ramble about social events, they should be doing it on their own time.

But it's also worth noting that many people are confused about who these people are protesting against the first place.  It all started with one guy trying to make a statement about racial inequality and police brutality, but who is he up against?  Last I checked, minorities in the USA are more privileged and treated more equally than ever before in this country's history.  Sure there is still progress to be made, but the population isn't fighting against them.  The high crime rates and constant victim mentality aren't helping their case.  There are far bigger problems that are being ignored.  Not to mention these complaints are coming from millionaires in an extremely rich and successful league that comprises of something like 80% minorities.  Again, who are they fighting against?  If they want to make a difference, they should start a foundation and go out into their communities.  Complaining on national TV does nothing but divide people.  Little to no progress.  Going out in the community, and connecting to the people that look up to them, makes a huge difference.

The national anthem is about the people that fought for this country and shaped it into the great and diverse country it is today.  "We the people" means everybody from every culture and nationality that stand together as Americans.  Protesting against the bigger picture isn't the place for a small social issue.  The media thrives on social divide and this mess is only making us go backwards.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, techbeck said:

For Veterans who are taking offense to this, not standing and kneeling is the same thing as stomping on the flag.  Disrespect is disrespect no matter how you look at it.  You do not need to do a physical act to show disrespect towards something.

What? No it is not... LOL These protests have NOTHING to do with the flag or the anthem. People who block streets during an act of civil disobedience are not protesting streets.

Are you the official spokesperson for ALL veterans or something? I heard from DOZENS of actual veterans (some I know personally) who have said they have no problem with the protests and in fact that is why they fought which is to preserve our freedoms.

6 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

I heard from DOZENS of actual veterans (some I know personally) who have said they have no problem with the protests and in fact that is why they fought which is to preserve our freedoms.

Well, congrats.  I have heard from many family/friends who think differently.   There are always people for/against things things but does not mean it is not an issue.

2 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Well, congrats.  I have heard from many family/friends who think differently.   There are always people for/against things things but does not mean it is not an issue.

My point it's irrelevant if some veterans find it disrespectful... We have certain freedoms in this country so sorry.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

My point it's irrelevant if some veterans find it disrespectful...

No, it not irrelevant.  Just because people have the right does not make it the right thing to do.  That excuse is way over played.

1 hour ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

First and foremost, people are simply tired of sports being painted into a political stage.  These people are paid to play a game, and if they want to ramble about social events, they should be doing it on their own time.

But it's also worth noting that many people are confused about who these people are protesting against the first place.  It all started with one guy trying to make a statement about racial inequality and police brutality, but who is he up against?  Last I checked, minorities in the USA are more privileged and treated more equally than ever before in this country's history.  Sure there is still progress to be made, but the population isn't fighting against them.  The high crime rates and constant victim mentality aren't helping their case.  There are far bigger problems that are being ignored.  Not to mention these complaints are coming from millionaires in an extremely rich and successful league that comprises of something like 80% minorities.  Again, who are they fighting against?  If they want to make a difference, they should start a foundation and go out into their communities.  Complaining on national TV does nothing but divide people.  Little to no progress.  Going out in the community, and connecting to the people that look up to them, makes a huge difference.

The national anthem is about the people that fought for this country and shaped it into the great and diverse country it is today.  "We the people" means everybody from every culture and nationality that stand together as Americans.  Protesting against the bigger picture isn't the place for a small social issue.  The media thrives on social divide and this mess is only making us go backwards.

(Y)

5 minutes ago, ncoday said:

Kinda hard to take these NFL players serious when quite a few are convicted felons. Of course they are not likely to have a favorable opinion of the police!

That would only be the case if they all were convicted of something...even then, that is stretching it.

1 minute ago, techbeck said:

No, it not irrelevant.  Just because people have the right does not make it the right thing to do.  That excuse is way over played.

(Y)

In YOUR opinion it's not right.

Why did you quote that idiotic comment by @Astra.Xtreme? The jest was black people should shut up because they are ALMOST EQUAL and things are better than ever for them (debatable). Seriously?

6 minutes ago, ncoday said:

Kinda hard to take these NFL players serious when quite a few are convicted felons. Of course they are not likely to have a favorable opinion of the police!

Which profession doesn't have convicted felons again? Do you have stats showing the NFL has a higher rate of convicted felons than other professions? http://www.utdallas.edu/news/2015/8/25-31660_UT-Dallas-Criminologist-Tackles-Perception-of-NFL-_story-wide.html

The military does have exceptions to disallow convicted felons to serve but that is not absolute and in fact we do have convicted felons serving in the military. Oh yeah... It's not only convicted felons that have problems with law enforcement.

I know thinking is HARD but please try to make a better point in the future.

Just now, oldtimefighter said:

In YOUR opinion it's not right.

Why did you quote that idiotic comment by @Astra.Xtreme? The jest was black people should shut up because they are ALMOST EQUAL and things are better than ever for them (debatable). Seriously?

Never said it was anything other than my opinion and never said it was fact.

And if you are going to call people idiots, or they comments idiotic, for their opinions then, whatever.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, techbeck said:

And if you are going to call people idiots, or they comments idiotic, for their opinions then, whatever.

There certainly are opinions and comments that are idiotic and that was one of them. I am NOT interested in debating it further.

3 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

There certainly are opinions and comments that are idiotic and that was one of them. I am NOT interested in debating it further.

Cannot have a convo without insults, then bye  :)

man, what irks me about it is,

Doesnt trump and pence (the retard gang) not understand being down on one knee is seen as an international mark of respect, pledging allegiance to a nation state or nations flag..... ignorant oranged faced baboons the pair of them.

I havnt seen this action once as a sign of disrespect, ignoring the anthem and flag and sitting on the bench would be 100x worse!

Pair of single celled amoebas the pair of them. If intelligence were sticks of dynamite, the two of them couldnt muster up a fart between them. Im sure if either of them were not upper class white mummies boys they might actually get the point of the peaceful protestation.

I thought players coming out for the anthem was a recent thing, does that make all the previous generations of NFL players anti military card carrying commies ?

Having served in the military (albeit British not US but with the US) I can tell you most people don't give a **** about an anthem or flag, they care about their friends so I'm not sure all veterans find this offensive. 

1 hour ago, oldtimefighter said:

No surprise that it's you stooping to your typical name-calling tactics...  Do you even have the capacity for a civil discussion, or do you purposely not want to be taken seriously?
Regardless, way to cherry pick and completely ignore the central point of my comment...

Watch 3mins 34 seconds in, this is what the world sees him as....can someone tell the senile old goat, hes not on the apprentice anymore.......

24 minutes ago, techbeck said:

30 percent of NFL fans are watching less — and most blame anthem protests

http://nypost.com/2017/10/05/30-percent-of-nfl-fans-are-watching-less-and-most-blame-anthem-protests/

Yup, when sports become political, it's definitely a turnoff for me.  If the players want to stand up for minority rights and against police violence against minorities, setup some approved protests outside major police stations or meaningful political locations.  Disrespecting veterans is not the correct way to advance a cause.  It appears they are actually detracting from their causes by doing it the way they are. 

1 hour ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

No surprise that it's you stooping to your typical name-calling tactics...  Do you even have the capacity for a civil discussion, or do you purposely not want to be taken seriously?
Regardless, way to cherry pick and completely ignore the central point of my comment...

I have to be nice to people that make racist comments? Who knew? Please look at yourself and the dumb ###### that comes out of your mouth if YOU want to be taken seriously.

Note - I realize it will be me who is banned from comments as that is the way Neowin works.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

43 minutes ago, Nerd Rage said:

Disrespecting veterans is not the correct way to advance a cause.

They are NOT "disrespecting veterans", that is the rhetoric that you're being fed by those who wish this to not continue.  They are standing up for and honoring what these veterans fought for.  

1 hour ago, techbeck said:

I don't think anyone here has said all Veterans find it offensive. 

"...The men and women (veterans) who got ###### off for people standing and who took offense to it...."

I think you did........

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

I have to be nice to people that make racist comments? Who knew? Please look at yourself and the dumb ###### that comes out of your mouth if YOU want to be taken seriously.

Note - I realize it will be me who is banned from comments as that is the way Neowin works.

Oh really, so now my "dumb ######" comment is racist?  Please please explain that one for us.  I'm very interested in hearing what you have to say on that one...

First personal attack tactics and now you're wrongfully pulling the race card?  Do you even listen to yourself?  All that without even the slightest attempt at providing an explanation or adding to the conversation.  If you're just going to run your mouth with childish remarks, don't waste our time.

43 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

They are NOT "disrespecting veterans", that is the rhetoric that you're being fed by those who wish this to not continue.  They are standing up for and honoring what these veterans fought for.  

It might not be their intention, but standing for the national anthem, for me personally, is showing respect for the people who fought for the rights I have today.  I don't think many people think that standing for the National Anthem means that you agree with everything that is happening in the country..........

• Like 1