Hurricane Ophelia

024441_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.thumb.jpg.362d1c3f8b00d5f2f2c86566855751fd.jpg

Tail end of Hurricane Ophelia on way to Ireland

Ireland could be hit by winds of up to 80mph as the remains of Hurricane Ophelia strikes at the start of next week.

The hurricane looks set to travel north towards Ireland and Britain from the mid-Atlantic.

By the time Ophelia reaches our shores - likely to be the west of Ireland - on Monday it will have become an ex-hurricane.

However, the deep area of low pressure will still pack a punch.

/snip

BBC

At 1100 PM AST (0300 UTC), the center of Hurricane Ophelia was located near latitude 37.3 North, longitude 21.5 West. Ophelia is moving toward the northeast near 28 mph (44 km/h). A continued northeast motion with an increase in forward speed is expected tonight and Sunday, followed by a turn toward the north-northeast Sunday night. On the forecast track, the center of Ophelia will continue to pass east of the Azores tonight, and approach Ireland on Monday.

Maximum sustained winds are near 115 mph (185 km/h) with higher gusts. Ophelia is a category 3 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale. Gradual weakening is forecast to begin later tonight, but Ophelia is forecast to become a post-tropical cyclone with hurricane-force winds as it approaches Ireland on Monday.

Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 45 miles (75 km) from the center and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 150 miles (240 km).

The estimated minimum central pressure is 960 mb (28.35 inches).

NOAA

Wind Warning for Galway, Mayo, Clare, Cork and Kerry

Hurricane Ophelia is expected to transition to a post tropical storm as it approaches our shores on Monday bringing severe winds and stormy conditions . Mean wind speeds in excess of 80 km/h and gusts in excess of 130km/h are expected, potentially causing structural damage and disruption, with dangerous marine conditions due to high seas and potential flooding.

Issued:

Saturday 14 October 2017 13:18

Valid:

Monday 16 October 2017 09:00 to Tuesday 17 October 2017 03:00

Met Eireann

Have been watching the devastation and loss of life in America with horror. The storms, floods and bushfires have been extreme. I hope the U.K gets through this without losing lives Jim. It's difficult to know what to say really.

It's almost 30 years to the day that the last time this happened, which we call "The Big Storm".  I bet one thing WON'T happen which did then... The UK's most well known weatherman said "Don't worry, it won't hit us".

He never lived that one down!

But yeah, it's not going to be hurricane strength by the time it hits us. Our seas are too cold to maintain it.  Winds will be 70-80 mph in affected areas, which isn't too bad given the strength of building construction in the UK. A few trees will go, maybe some sheds and roof tiles, but not many buildings will be affected just by the wind.

Looking out the window right now. It's very very still, and foggy...

2 hours ago, JR1966 said:

Have been watching the devastation and loss of life in America with horror. The storms, floods and bushfires have been extreme. I hope the U.K gets through this without losing lives Jim. It's difficult to know what to say really.

Earlier this year we had deaths, even in my home city

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39079127

But I thank you for your grace. Also my thoughts are with those in need right now across the pond.

1 hour ago, FloatingFatMan said:

It's almost 30 years to the day that the last time this happened, which we call "The Big Storm".  I bet one thing WON'T happen which did then... The UK's most well known weatherman said "Don't worry, it won't hit us".

He never lived that one down!

But yeah, it's not going to be hurricane strength by the time it hits us. Our seas are too cold to maintain it.  Winds will be 70-80 mph in affected areas, which isn't too bad given the strength of building construction in the UK. A few trees will go, maybe some sheds and roof tiles, but not many buildings will be affected just by the wind.

Looking out the window right now. It's very very still, and foggy...

Michael Fish gets trotted out every time '87 is mentioned, quite rightly too! :p 

I doubt (uh oh) this storm will amount to much. As a nation we're pretty well set up for bad weather, being the majority of our buildings are brick/concrete. Hopefully no one gets hurt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeChipshop said:

Michael Fish gets trotted out every time '87 is mentioned, quite rightly too! :p 

I doubt (uh oh) this storm will amount to much. As a nation we're pretty well set up for bad weather, being the majority of our buildings are brick/concrete. Hopefully no one gets hurt.

There's more reason to do so this time,  because today it is exactly 30 years to the day.  15/16 October 1987... :rofl: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Keep calm and stay indoors.

Pfft.. It's as still as it could ever possibly get outside right now... Bright and sunny too, a lovely day.

2 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Pfft.. It's as still as it could ever possibly get outside right now... Bright and sunny too, a lovely day.

You become FlyingFatMan for the first time in your life. :o

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Good, let's hope it stays this way tomorrow and the whole storm bypasses the Isles to the north.

With winds of up to 70mph (113km/h) (source: BBC), that's 30 metres per second, I can tell you from personal experience that once the winds develop the speed of 18 metres per second or higher, it's starting to get spooky, branches of trees start falling on the parked cars, etc.

Just now, Mirumir said:

Good, let's hope it stays this way tomorrow and the whole storm bypasses the Isles to the north.

With winds of up to 70mph (113km/h) (source: BBC), that's 30 metres per second, I can tell you from personal experience that once the winds develop the speed of 18 metres per second or higher, it's starting to get spooky, branches of trees start falling on the parked cars, etc.

I've been through it plenty of times.  I once worked in a seafront store during a bad storm and could physically see the large plate glass window bowing in several inches from the wind. Stones from the pebble beach were getting blasted up onto the coastal road by the waves and smashing car windows and so on. THAT was bloody scary... Today... Meh.. Nothing at all so far near me.

Just now, FloatingFatMan said:

I've been through it plenty of times.  I once worked in a seafront store during a bad storm and could physically see the large plate glass window bowing in several inches from the wind. Stones from the pebble beach were getting blasted up onto the coastal road by the waves and smashing car windows and so on. THAT was bloody scary... Today... Meh.. Nothing at all so far near me.

Yeah, looking at this map, you should be alright unless you are in Ireland or Scotland.

7 hours ago, Jim K said:

024441_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.thumb.jpg.362d1c3f8b00d5f2f2c86566855751fd.jpg

I'm right on the edge of the area forecast to be hit,  it's dark like december and pouring heavy rain, not too windy(yet) though.

Edited by He's Dead Jim
typo

The sky was really dark and a strange colour this morning - an orangey grey. Apparently there is a lot of Sahara dust in the storm. Looks like the main path should pass safely west of me, but I'm still expecting some pretty intense winds tonight.

I'm on the west coast of Ireland and it has started to get fairly intense in the past hour or so. I'll expect a wheelie bin down at least.

Edited by HellboundIRL

Hope everyone in the area is safe. 

8 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

I wanted to take pictures, of an orange sun... I should have done it.

Sure lots of other people are taking  pictures.

1 hour ago, techbeck said:

Hope everyone in the area is safe. 

Sure lots of other people are taking  pictures.

I missed the opportunity, it cleared up and turned into a bright and sunny (beautiful summer's) day, some author friends on Facebook did take some amazing pictures though.