Reaction Suggestion

Over the past month or so, I've noticed members get rather surprised and upset when somebody dislikes their post. It seems like it has way more of an effect than just reading somebody disagrees with them. It kinda confirms my initial fear of the reaction system discouraging some to participate in discussions, since some feel they can just select a vague reaction instead of responding. 

My suggestion would be to remove it or make it so it requires a reason when you use it.

Key threads where you can see some examples of this: Playboy to Feature Its First Transgender Playmate Donald Trump - 45th President of the United States

3 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

Over the past month or so, I've noticed members get rather surprised and upset when somebody dislikes their post. It seems like it has way more of an effect than just reading somebody disagrees with them. It kinda confirms my initial fear of the reaction system discouraging some to participate in discussions, since some feel they can just select a vague reaction instead of responding. 

My suggestion would be to remove it or make it so it requires a reason when you use it.

Key threads where you can see some examples of this: Playboy to Feature Its First Transgender Playmate Donald Trump - 45th President of the United States

I think it’s less of discouraging people to discuss things and some are using it as a tool to retaliate. 

That just causes anger, even if it has nothing more than a visual effect. 

1 minute ago, adrynalyne said:

I think it’s less of discouraging people to discuss things and more as being used as a tool to retaliate. 

That just causes anger, even if it has nothing more than a visual effect. 

Either way, that's not ideal. Neowin is always saying how they want to keep things civil.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Well I think the thumbs down reaction encourages people to disagree with someone without resorting to behavior that could get that person warned by a moderator.

In an ideal world we'd all agree with each other, people wouldn't adblock and I'd be filthy rich :D but alas this is not so :( so we have to fight our battles and not be ignorant of them.

At least this way we have given a tool to allow people to show displeasure of an opinion without it creating additional problems.

27 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Well I think the thumbs down reaction encourages people to disagree with someone without resorting to behavior that could get that person warned by a moderator.

In an ideal world we'd all agree with each other,. people wouldn't adblock and I'd be filthy rich, but alas this is not so, so we have to fight our battles and not be ignorant of them.

At least this way we have given a tool to allow people to show displeasure of an opinion without it creating additional problems.

Whilst I can see its intent. It has caused an increase of "Oh look! This person thumbs down my comment" through a new reply or an edit. This I feel could go badly depending on the scenario. 

If you think it's working then great. Taking the workload off the staff is always a good goal to aim for.

Anyway. thank you for taking the time to respond to my concerns.

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

Whilst I can see its intent. It has caused an increase of "Oh look! This person thumbs down my comment" through a new reply or an edit. This I feel could go badly depending on the scenario. 

If you think it's working then great. Taking the workload off the staff is always a good goal to aim for.

Anyway. thank you for taking the time to respond to my concerns.

I haven't asked the staff if it decreased or increased work, but I will ask them on our Slack channel (Y)

• Love 1

37 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

In an ideal world we'd all agree with each other, people wouldn't adblock and I'd be filthy rich :D but alas this is not so :( so we have to fight our battles and not be ignorant of them.

Sounds like you may just want to visit the big offender threads and remind everyone of this bud. 

As I can think of a couple of members who get really bent out of shape over it.

28 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

I haven't asked the staff if it decreased or increased work, but I will ask them on our Slack channel (Y)

From a staffing standpoint I have not seen much change one way or the other (Y)

1 hour ago, LimeMaster said:

or make it so it requires a reason when you use it.

I would not mind this implementation. have the reason viewable when you click the reaction to bring up "see who reacted"
I don't think Neowin would be able to do that on their own though, may be an idea worth bringing up to IPB

From memory, I think we have had two reports where members were upset that others down voted their posts, and only one of those reports was a clear case of abusing the feature.

It's still early days for the feature and we'll continue to monitor feedback and any abuse.

3 minutes ago, Andrew said:

From memory, I think we have had two reports where members were upset that others down voted their posts, and only one of those reports was a clear case of abusing the feature.

It's still early days for the feature and we'll continue to monitor feedback and any abuse.

To quote Clint Eastwood.

"Opinions are like ass holes, everybody has one" :p

I like the changes even though I originally stated in another thread that I feared it would be abused as a means of passive-aggressive trolling, I have had friends thumb me down over a comment, I didn't care, nor did I feel the need to question them over it.

For me a disagreement is an opportunity to see an issue from another point of view, or as an opportunity to for me to let another see mine.

38 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

I would not mind this implementation. have the reason viewable when you click the reaction to bring up "see who reacted"
I don't think Neowin would be able to do that on their own though, may be an idea worth bringing up to IPB

Yeah, you've thought of a good way to effectively implement it. (Y) Maybe @Steven P. could suggest it to the IPB team during the next time he needs to contact them.

10 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Not bad all things considered. So in most cases it's more that members call out the person in public.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LimeMaster said:

Yeah, you've thought of a good way to effectively implement it. (Y) Maybe @Steven P. could suggest it to the IPB team during the next time he needs to contact them.

Not bad all things considered. So in most cases it's more that members call out the person in public.

It may be more, but I know I've seen two reports personally. There may be more disputes if they've not been reported too, like you say. Let us know via reports so staff can keep track of it and discuss it (Y)

5 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

To quote Clint Eastwood.

"Opinions are like ass holes, everybody has one" :p

I like the changes even though I originally stated in another thread that I feared it would be abused as a means of passive-aggressive trolling, I have had friends thumb me down over a comment, I didn't care, nor did I feel the need to question them over it.

For me a disagreement is an opportunity to see an issue from another point of view, or as an opportunity to for me to let another see mine.

Every feature has the potential to be abused in some way or another, and there are so many ways to discuss online these days - but I've yet to see one which is perfect. I like the suggestion above where it asks why you disagree when you down vote, but perhaps make it optional to enter text. We don't ask for a reason for any of the other reactions after all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Negative reactions are not needed IMO.  There are people that just go through threads and put a thumbs down just for the hell of it and provide no reply as to why they dislike your post.  A feature that was not needed on this site. 

Never used the dislike, never will.

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I like the suggestion above where it asks why you disagree when you down vote, but perhaps make it optional to enter text. We don't ask for a reason for any of the other reactions after all.

Personally I would disagree with this, you have the right to not agree with something, usually it boils down to culture, upbringing, or the narrow minded dogma of the Jedi... Err, religion, it doesn't mean anyone is a lesser person because of it, imo.

2 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Negative reactions are not needed IMO.  There are people that just go through threads and put a thumbs down just for the hell of it and provide no reply as to why they dislike your post.  A feature that was not needed on this site. 

Example only, I felt like I needed to troll you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@techbeck

I apologise if this has bothered you, but it was just to make a point, as just because 'I disagreed' does not mean I have lost any respect for you, or have change my opinion.

I do concede however, that trolls will always find a way to abuse a system. For example, the trans playboy model thread, or Facebook.... To mention 2

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, techbeck said:

yea, same here.  i've never read a post that i disliked so much to make me spend the time selecting the dislike button.

and if people get bent out of shape over a dislike, they shouldn't be posting in a controversial topic thread

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/23/2017 at 0:44 PM, The Evil Overlord said:

@techbeck

I apologise if this has bothered you, but it was just to make a point, as just because 'I disagreed' does not mean I have lost any respect for you, or have change my opinion.

I do concede however, that trolls will always find a way to abuse a system. For example, the trans playboy model thread, or Facebook.... To mention 2

Does not really bother me.  I just find it odd that a dislike feature gets added when other features that promote users helping each other get taken away.  Like the feature to make a post as the correct answer and credit goes to the poster who provided the answer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just got a page and a half of dislikes from one user  and not one constructive comment. Heck, not even one comment. 

Might as as well remove this feature, it’s used for trolling. 

1 minute ago, adrynalyne said:

I just got a page and a half of dislikes from one user  and not one constructive comment. Heck, not even one comment. 

Might as as well remove this feature, it’s used for trolling. 

Was that recently?

Just now, adrynalyne said:

In the last few hours, yes. 

Oh dear! I guess they haven't seen this thread. At least you know that it has no effect on your reputation counter. 

I couldn't care less if I receive a dislike.  I've even joked about it.  Why would someone be bothered, it's a simple, truly meaningless response when no reason is given. I've seen some complain, but those are some of same people are the first to slam others.  One member complained about getting multiple thumbs down all at once, yet that same person does the same to them in the threads.  Whether it's one at a time or done through your profile/posts so what.  Again it's meaningless if they can not bother to share their reasons. 

• Like 3