Universities issue guides, threats and counseling for 'offensive' Halloween costumes

“The scariest thing about your costume isn’t what you think,” according to a “Halloween and Cultural Appropriation Tabling” event at Goucher College in Maryland.

The University of St. Thomas in Minnesota put up “Costume or Culture Appropriation” fliers listing “unacceptable” costumes and clothing as including Native American headdresses, a Mexican sombrero, a geisha outfit or any form of blackface.

“Cultural appropriation is defined as ‘the act of taking intellectual and cultural expressions from a culture that is not your own, without showing that you understand or respect the culture,’” the flier read.

Offensive costumes incorporate “a long history of prejudice, hate, discrimination, colonialism, and slav ery” as well as turning “an important and/or sacred element into fashion.”

And just in case you don't get easily offended by costumes, several universities are ready to help.

The University of California, Santa Barbara recently held a Social Justice Workshop to teach students how to spot Halloween costume abuse and appropriation.

Similarly, Washington State University’s Social Justice Peer Educators Group held an event entitled “We’re a Culture, Not a Costume” to teach people about “harmful” Halloween costumes, according to Acculturated.

The University of Massachusetts, Amherst put up “Simple Costume Racism Evaluation and Assessment Meter” (SCREAM) posters around campus, assigning threat levels based on how much a costume differs from the student’s own race.

Ohio State University’s student magazine had a similar flow chart this year that supports costumes that “make fun of Donald Trump,” but warns white students not to dress as Prince or wear “traditional head wear from other cultures.”

A Notre Dame Residence hall rector sent out a memo to her students before a Disney-themed dance not to dress up as Moana, Aladdin, Pocahontas, Mulan or The Princess and the Frog.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/24/universities-issue-guides-threats-and-counseling-for-offensive-halloween-costumes.html

When did all of this politically ###### actually start? This is getting out of hand. I really don't remember it being this bad on or before Bush, maybe I'm wrong. This country is turning into a bunch of Pussies.

It really started taking hold in the late 1960s to 1970s when the New Left started censorship by having a higher volume. To a degree they got their way, and true to form they pushed it until they reached the Realm of the Absurd.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

I wouldn't blame the left for all of it. The right had a panic over Murphy Brown having a baby without a daddy. Or lesbians or witchcraft,

Hell, remember how they had to call Sorcerer's Stone Philosopher's Stone in the US?

Anyway, this is all dumb. Society is dumb.

12 minutes ago, DocM said:

It really started taking hold in the late 1960s to 1970s when the New Left started censorship by having a higher volume. To a degree they got their way, and true to form they pushed it until they reached the Realm of the Absurd.

Yes, but it feels extreme within the last 8 years.

By this logic, isn't the cast of Hamilton  perhaps somewhat guilty of committing 'cultural appropriation'... 

5 minutes ago, Zag L. said:

By this logic, isn't the cast of Hamilton  perhaps somewhat guilty of committing 'cultural appropriation'... 

The one costume that made me laugh out loud was the Ann Frank Costume everyone was losing their ###### over.

13 hours ago, Zagadka said:

I wouldn't blame the left for all of it. The right had a panic over Murphy Brown having a baby without a daddy. Or lesbians or witchcraft,

Hell, remember how they had to call Sorcerer's Stone Philosopher's Stone in the US?

Anyway, this is all dumb. Society is dumb.

It was the other way around... Sorcerer's Stone in the US, the more correct Philospher's Stone everywhere else.  Apparently because Americans wouldn't understand what was meant by "Philosopher"...

So not PC, rather just assuming you're all dumb... Kinda the opposite of PC! :p

14 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

I stand corrected, then. Everyone is still stupid, though, including me.

Hey, don't put yourself down dude!

That's MY job! :rofl: 

uh the luxury of being threatened by a "costume". How easy one's life must be to feel threatened by a piece of clothing. Kids are still playing cowboys and Indians here.lol